Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I wanna die.

Lamar is just telling his rep(his mom/Kodak/whoever the f*ck) to inform teams he wants to move on so that they actually put in an offer. 

Everyone knows the Ravens will look to retain him and that he's fine with that, which hurts his leverage in getting teams to drive up the price. So he's trying to change the perception of the situation. 

It's all transparent and boring.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lamar is going to be the poster boy of what not to do

People really should just follow the lead of Kirk and Laremy Tunsil. 

Lamar seems so locked into basically surpassing Watson. 5 years, fully guaranteed. It seems like that is what is most important. If he can get like 3 / 145 fully guaranteed, I think you take that and make sure to include a provision about no franchise tag at the end of it. 

I have to wonder if Lamar is concern about his own long term viability.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lamar is going to be the poster boy of what not to do

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Agree with both of you.  

He obviously needs an agent, not just to negotiate, but to advise him.  An agent might have taken 10 million of his pay, but he would have had it done a year ago and would have made a bit of that back already in interest.  

And to Forge's point, if he did a 3 year deal last year, maybe he wouldn't have his 5 year contract, but he would be a year away from an extension adding more guaranteed.

His value is going down as time passes and with every little injury he accumulates.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lamar seems so locked into basically surpassing Watson. 5 years, fully guaranteed. It seems like that is what is most important. If he can get like 3 / 145 fully guaranteed, I think you take that and make sure to include a provision about no franchise tag at the end of it. 

I have to wonder if Lamar is concern about his own long term viability.

I think it's moreso because he's getting terrible advice and is dead set on surpassing Watson.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Agree with both of you.  

He obviously needs an agent, not just to negotiate, but to advise him.  An agent might have taken 10 million of his pay, but he would have had it done a year ago and would have made a bit of that back already in interest.  

And to Forge's point, if he did a 3 year deal last year, maybe he wouldn't have his 5 year contract, but he would be a year away from an extension adding more guaranteed.

His value is going down as time passes and with every little injury he accumulates.

An agent would've been invaluable because he could've gotten a pulse on the market for Lamar before he started declining offers and acting like a jack arse. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, whodatOL said:

Perhaps this has been discussed here before, but is the following scenario possible/permitted?

For example, the Colts trade their #4 pick this year to a team at the end of the first round for this year's first rounder and a first rounder next year. The trade would clearly favour the team at the end of the first round, as the 2024 pick should likely be a late first rounder as well.

They would then give up the two picks from the trade for Lamar and thus end up keeping their first round pick next year.

Is that possible?

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I've been a little confused by this as well. So they wouldn't be able to process the trade until after the draft, right? Because the Colts would have to send 2024 and 2025 1sts since those would be their own actual picks?

It’s your own picks “or better”. Meaning if you don’t have your originally owned pick from the 2022 draft, but own a pick higher than your original, you’re good to go. If you don’t own a FRP period, then yes, you can’t have him sign until after the draft. If you happen to own two picks this year, it’d still be your original + next year’s. The Lions for example would be giving up 18 (but still own 6) + a 2024 FRP, meanwhile the Texans would be giving up 2 (but still own 12) + a 2024 FRP. 

That said, I don’t think you’d even need to offer that at this point. Teams can trade for Lamar independent of the offer sheet. At this point I think Baltimore would be happy to rinse their hands of this with just a single FRP. 

39 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

An agent would've been invaluable because he could've gotten a pulse on the market for Lamar before he started declining offers and acting like a jack arse. 

Yep.  Agents, advisors, professionals all have value.  It is more than just getting to a number.

The other problem he is creating is that the clumsy negotiations are going to sour his relationship with the team.  Baltimore is a good organization and I think they are stomaching this process well, but eventually it is hard not to create friction.  That is the other reason you have an agent, they can bear the brunt of any negativity that comes out of the process and shield the player from it.   At some point the team has to make backup plans especially as they have seen Jackson show he might sit out, and every day that goes by is a day closer to them pulling the trigger on those plans and him ending up in a bad situation/team where he doesn't want to be.

• Like 1

When's the last time a player this high-profile backed down and came back for the team he was negotiating with? Have  hard time seeing him back in Baltimore as it stands.

I can see him taking a lower offer elsewhere to spin it as he wants to prove BAL wrong/get a chip on his shoulder. Or refusing to play altogether. If he had the sense to negotiate in good faith it would have never gotten to this

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

At this point I think Baltimore would be happy to rinse their hands of this with just a single FRP.

I highly doubt the Ravens are willing to give Lamar up for a single FRP. You’re being highly dramatic.

They’re going to risk selecting a singular ~30-40% chance of a bust, with only a 5% chance of getting a player on a similar level to Lamar’s impact… all because they don’t (presumably) like how negotiations have gone down?

EDC won’t be around for long if that’s the level of his idiocy.