Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, lancerman said:

He'll end up on the Ravens unless he goes crazy and decides to retire. 

I'm curious what happens when he plays the year out on the tag.

Is this a situation where he could play half the year and force the Ravens to double tag him like a Le'Veon Bell?

22 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Is this a situation where he could play half the year and force the Ravens to double tag him like a Le'Veon Bell?

As a Ravens fan I have no interest in him playing on the tag. He'll inevitably stub his toe in week 18 and declare himself out for the playoffs. It's not worth investing my emotions in a season if he pulls the rug out from under the team again in the most crucial time. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

As a Ravens fan I have no interest in him playing on the tag. He'll inevitably stub his toe in week 18 and declare himself out for the playoffs. It's not worth investing my emotions in a season if he pulls the rug out from under the team again in the most crucial time. 

Precisely what I'm getting at.

37 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

BAL could tag him after 2023.  Non exclusive at 120% of prior....so $38-39M.

Not sure if the 120% changes if Jackson were to "sit out"

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

BAL could tag him after 2023.  Non exclusive at 120% of prior....so $38-39M.

Not sure if the 120% changes if Jackson were to "sit out"

That's where it gets weird though, if they stick the non-exclusive tag on him next year, the second tag at an $8MM raise with no long term risk is probably an even better deal for the Ravens than the first year is.

So Jackson is incentivized to Le'Veon Bell the season since he would want to make the second tag option as painful as possible.

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's where it gets weird though, if they stick the non-exclusive tag on him next year, the second tag at an $8MM raise with no long term risk is probably an even better deal for the Ravens than the first year is.

So Jackson is incentivized to Le'Veon Bell the season since he would want to make the second tag option as painful as possible.

It's not ideal for BAL.  Limits cap flexibility and maneuvering to add other pieces.  But a 3rd round comp pick in 2025 is crap for return if he leaves via FA in 2024.

Fascinating to see how it plays out

Edited by squire12

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

It's not ideal for BAL.  Limits cap flexibility and maneuvering to add other pieces.  But a 3rd round comp pick in 2025 is crap for return if he leaves via FA in 2024.

Fascinating to see how it plays out

Having Lamar play for 3XM is better for the cap then the new ~50M AAV contract even for a year. They can always push money forward from other contracts (Stanley, Humphrey, Marcus Willians, Andrews...) if they want to effectively spread the cost.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Having Lamar play for 3XM is better for the cap then the new ~50M AAV contract even for a year. They can always push money forward from other contracts (Stanley, Humphrey, Marcus Willians, Andrews...) if they want to effectively spread the cost.

I'm talking 1 year on the FT.  2024 if Jackson were tagged again it's $38-39M with no way to alter that without an extension. 

The $50M avg QB contracts generally have cap hits much lower in the first 2-3 years based on structure 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

bold of you to assume he'll be playing in week 18. He'll get stomach cramps week 12 and be out for the rest of the year.

• Like 5