*Traded R1:23 to CIN for R1:28 & R3:92*

————————————————

ROUND 1- 28: Emmanuel Forbes - CB - Miss St

ROUND 3- 87: AT Perry - WR - Wake Forest

ROUND 3- 92: KJ Henry- Edge-Clemson

ROUND 4- 119: Kobie Turner - 3Tech- Wake Forest

ROUND 5- 159: Dorian Williams- LB- Tulane 

ROUND 6- 176: Stetson Bennett- QB- Georgia 

Just drafted some of my favorite players in this draft. I think going CB and WR with our first two picks is smart. Forbes and Perry are both great athletes with great skills. I foresee Forbes being a lockdown cornerback right away, and that can really help jumpstart our defense next year. AT Perry is a big target who can also stretch the field. 

KJ Henry and Kobie Turner are both beasts, who play fast and can be rotational pieces right away. Same goes for Dorian Williams. Then I took a chance on Stetson Bennett with the last pick because I see a little Brock Purdy in his game.

This was mostly a defensive draft, obviously because we had one of the worst defenses last year. These guys will make our defense younger, faster and better in my opinion. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 8:37 AM, swede700 said:

While you won't be able to see the discussion itself if you don't have a subscription, here is Alec Smith's (the Athletic) latest mock, which includes a trade-down from #23, adding 2 2nd rders (#32 and #49):

Rd 2 (#32):  Edge BJ Ojulari (LSU)

Rd 2 (#49): C John Michael Schmitz (Minnesota)

Rd 3 (#87): CB Darius Rush (South Carolina)

Rd 4 (#116): CB/S Jartavius Martin (Illinois)

Rd 5(#155): RB Deuce Vaughn (Kansas St)

https://theathletic.com/4288873/2023/03/09/vikings-nfl-mock-draft-trade/?source=emp_shared_article

Something like this would be ideal.

• Like 1

1. Carolina _ QB CJ Stroud

2. Houston - QB Bryce Young

3. TRADE Indy - QB Anthony Richardson
(Colts give the Cardinals third-round picks in 2023 and '24 as well as a fourth-rounder this year.)

4. Arizona -EDGE Will Anderson Jr

5. Seattle - CB Christian Gonzalez

6. Detroit - DT Jalen Carter

7. Vegas - EDGE Tyree Wilson

8. Atlanta - EDGE Lukas Van Ness

9. Chicago - RB Bijan Robinson

10. TRADE Minnesota - QB Will Levis
(Kirk Cousins is entering a contract year, and the Vikings expect to be good enough to keep them out of the running for the top quarterback prospects in the 2024 NFL Draft. Minnesota might choose to shoot its shot now, getting Levis in a trade with Philadelphia in exchange for a third-round pick this year and 2024 first-rounder. Levis may still find a fan among the teams at the top of the draft because of his arm strength, mobility and competitive fire, but he reminds me of former NFL passer Jay Cutler, who went 11th in 2006. And in some recent drafts, we've seen at least one highly regarded quarterback come off the board in the 10-12 range: Justin Fields (2021), Josh Rosen (2018), Patrick Mahomes (2017) and Deshaun Watson (2017).)

https://www.nfl.com/news/four-round-2023-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-qbs-go-1-2-3-after-colts-trade-up

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

10. TRADE Minnesota - QB Will Levis
(Kirk Cousins is entering a contract year, and the Vikings expect to be good enough to keep them out of the running for the top quarterback prospects in the 2024 NFL Draft. Minnesota might choose to shoot its shot now, getting Levis in a trade with Philadelphia in exchange for a third-round pick this year and 2024 first-rounder. Levis may still find a fan among the teams at the top of the draft because of his arm strength, mobility and competitive fire, but he reminds me of former NFL passer Jay Cutler, who went 11th in 2006. And in some recent drafts, we've seen at least one highly regarded quarterback come off the board in the 10-12 range: Justin Fields (2021), Josh Rosen (2018), Patrick Mahomes (2017) and Deshaun Watson (2017).)

This is pretty much what I’m expecting to happen if Levis slips to 10. 

• Like 1

Jordan Reid's 7-rd mock, Vikings picks only...

23. Jordan Addison, WR, USC

87. Owen Pappoe, LB, Auburn

119.  Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB, UCLA

158.  Jalen Redmond, IDL, Oklahoma

211. Kei'Trel Clark, CB, Louisville

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35958143/2023-nfl-mock-draft-jordan-reid-seven-round-predictions-259-picks

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Jordan Reid's 7-rd mock, Vikings picks only...

23. Jordan Addison, WR, USC

87. Owen Pappoe, LB, Auburn

119.  Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB, UCLA

158.  Jalen Redmond, IDL, Oklahoma

211. Kei'Trel Clark, CB, Louisville

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35958143/2023-nfl-mock-draft-jordan-reid-seven-round-predictions-259-picks

Not sure what I think of not taking a CB until pick 211 with not another CB signed in free agency.

12 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Not sure what I think of not taking a CB until pick 211 with not another CB signed in free agency.

Based on what I read, Jordan feels the same way as most of us, that the Vikings won't stay at #23, which certainly could impact the selections.  However, based on where they currently are, with no movement, I feel similarly to Reid...in that the value at CB isn't there at their selections until late. 

39 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Based on what I read, Jordan feels the same way as most of us, that the Vikings won't stay at #23, which certainly could impact the selections.  However, based on where they currently are, with no movement, I feel similarly to Reid...in that the value at CB isn't there at their selections until late. 

I watched O'Connell's owners meeting presser yesterday. He pretty much said they are not done adding to the CB room (duh). But mentioned 1st wave of free agency being complete only.

So I assume they add another cb before the draft so they aren't put into a corner with having to draft a CB high, if the value isnt there.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Is that enough to move up to 10 with the Eagles? Just seems rather light.

It’s identical compensation that KC gave to Buffalo to move up from 27 to 10 in 2017 when they took Mahomes. 

It’s similar compensation to what Chicago gave to New York when they traded from 20 to 11 when they drafted Fields. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s identical compensation that KC gave to Buffalo to move up from 27 to 10 in 2017 when they took Mahomes. 

It’s similar compensation to what Chicago gave to New York when they traded from 20 to 11 when they drafted Fields. 

I don't know how I feel about him, but if the Vikings love him, they should make that trade every day. 

• Like 1

Hendon Hooker may be the most intriguing quarterback prospect in the 2023 NFL draft outside the marquee names, Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud, Anthony Richardson and Will Levis. Over the past few weeks, he's appeared in the first round of mock drafts, but despite Hooker's recent Round 1 buzz, he's more of a developmental Day 2 draft option.

Through the draft evaluation process, Hooker's age and his current injury have raised legitimate concerns. He tore his ACL in November and turned 25 years old in January. On a positive note, the Tennessee product expects to be ready for training camp with the team that acquires him. Though Hooker is optimistic about his recovery, he's unlikely to win a quarterback battle nine months removed from a significant knee injury. Any team that drafts him will likely have to wait at least a year before it can see what he's capable of in a competition for the starting job. At that time, Hooker will enter his age-26 term.

Even with that obstacle in Hooker's career path, NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah released a recent mock draft with the Tennessee product going to the Minnesota Vikings at No. 23. He added insightful reasoning for the pick.

Jeremiah:  "The Vikings have been doing their homework on this quarterback class. Hooker is well-liked around the league and he could sit for a year behind Kirk Cousins before taking over and ushering in a new era for Kevin O'Connell."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10070372-why-hendon-hooker-isnt-in-2023-nfl-drafts-top-tier-of-qb-prospects

what about trading DOWN and still drafting Hooker?