Mock (YEAH) ing (YEAH) Drafts (YEAH)

wcblack34

I still roll my eyes at all this Hendon Hooker talk...the guy was projected as a 3rd rounder 2 weeks ago, and now basically everyone has him going in the 1st round...

23. Minnesota Vikings

Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee

The Vikings have quietly been putting in some work on this QB class. Despite the team's 13-win season, Kirk Cousins was just 23rd in QBR at 49.9. Plus, he's turning 35 this summer and will be entering the final year of his deal. Sitting behind Cousins for a year to learn the pro game and fully recover from his torn ACL could be the perfect setup for Hooker, who led the nation in QBR last season before the injury (89.5).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36047541/2023-nfl-mock-draft-todd-mcshay-predictions-rounds-1-2-including-63-pick-projections-five-quarterback-landing-spots-two-trades

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I still roll my eyes at all this Hendon Hooker talk...the guy was projected as a 3rd rounder 2 weeks ago, and now basically everyone has him going in the 1st round...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36047541/2023-nfl-mock-draft-todd-mcshay-predictions-rounds-1-2-including-63-pick-projections-five-quarterback-landing-spots-two-trades

They’ve run out of things to talk about. 

It’s the Malik Willis media hype all over again. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, swede700 said:

True . . . The agents LOVE this time of year . . . Selling oceanfront property in Nebraska😆   

In reality, talk is talk, but to me, Hooker is a really good QB.   If the Vikes took him at #23, I'd be very surprised.   Given the right player trade, they could be in the upper 2nd Round with full intent to grab him then. 

12 hours ago, swede700 said:

I want nothing to do with a QB that is very inaccurate and can only read half of the field on each play.  He was bailed out by Jalin Hyatt and Cedric Tillman a lot.

If we are trying to get our future QB this offseason then I am 1000% on the Trey Lance train.  I think he would easily be the #1 pick in this years class and we could get him for a very good value.

• Like 1

So I did a mock draft at TDN & I mortgaged the future kind of but I was happy with the results. 

Would you all be content if we only had picks 1/3/4/6/7 in '24 & 3/4/4/6/7 in '25 if it meant we drafted

QB - Will Levis

RB - Bijan Robinson

WR - Jaxon Smith-Njigba

LB - Trenton Simpson

LB - DeMarvion Overshown

CB - Kelee Ringo

CB - Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

I want nothing to do with a QB that is very inaccurate and can only read half of the field on each play.  He was bailed out by Jalin Hyatt and Cedric Tillman a lot.

If we are trying to get our future QB this offseason then I am 1000% on the Trey Lance train.  I think he would easily be the #1 pick in this years class and we could get him for a very good value.

Wow!!!! This could be the most in accurate post I’ve ever read. To say Hooker is inaccurate is a joke. 58-5 in a TD/int ratio over the last 2 years to go along with a 68.8 completion percentage. I hate to tell you this, but that is fantastic. Then, to say it’s because of 2 WR’s….. com on….

BUT, the biggest joke is saying Trey Lance is gonna be a good QB. His starts in college were against no named schools that were not division 1 schools. The 49ers are begging for a team to take him because he is a joke. Thank god the 49ers gave up those 1st round picks for him, or they might of been a power house for years to come.

Wonder how an inaccurate QB throws 5 TD’s against one of the best defenses in the country? That would be Alabama by the way.

I don't have concerns about his accuracy, but I have significant concerns about how much upside he has already being 25 yrs old.  He was a man amongst boys and was in college for 6 yrs (he was a redshirt in 2017) and while never has thrown a lot of INTs, didn't really show significant progress until he got to Tennessee (after 4 yrs at WV).  I can't draft a guy in the 1st rd that age who is going to have to sit a year and will be 30 by his 5th yr option season.  If I'm going to have a guy sit a year, I'm going to draft someone younger with more upside.  That's just me, though. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Didn't that QB from Hawaii with a drug addiction have crazy college stats? 

Colt Brennan?  He had crazy stats, but he threw far more INTs than Hooker has...our guy Case, is a far better example.  People probably would like to use Joe Burrow as an example (in his last 2 yrs at LSU, he was 76 TDs-11 Ints), but he's likely an exception.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

It actually doesn't, but that's ok.

Agreed.  They aren't the same thing, because having a low number of ints could simply mean that he doesn't take many chances, which is not synonymous with accuracy.  Favre was largely accurate with the ball despite having a large number of INTs. Mitch Trubisky is currently tied for 33rd in career interception percentage (better than Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning)...I'm not sure anyone would consider him to be an accurate passer. 

6 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

Wow!!!! This could be the most in accurate post I’ve ever read. To say Hooker is inaccurate is a joke. 58-5 in a TD/int ratio over the last 2 years to go along with a 68.8 completion percentage. I hate to tell you this, but that is fantastic. Then, to say it’s because of 2 WR’s….. com on….

BUT, the biggest joke is saying Trey Lance is gonna be a good QB. His starts in college were against no named schools that were not division 1 schools. The 49ers are begging for a team to take him because he is a joke. Thank god the 49ers gave up those 1st round picks for him, or they might of been a power house for years to come.

Wonder how an inaccurate QB throws 5 TD’s against one of the best defenses in the country? That would be Alabama by the way.

So I’m assuming that you’re just looking at his numbers on paper and not actually watching him play.  Hendon Hooker should be a 3rd round pick.  He’s by far one of the oldest prospects in the draft, is a system QB, only reads half of the field on every play, only stares down one WR instead of going through his progressions, habitually over throws his WRs, and consistently had two top tier WRs in Hyatt and Tillman bailing him out on his inaccurate passes.  If you watched him in 2021 it was like watching Jay Cutler look good because he had Brandon Marshall (Cedric Tillman) making bringing in a lot of uncatchable passes.  He doesn’t really know how to hit a WR in stride.  Picking Jalin Hyatt had blazing speed and was able to adjust to the balls that were 10 yards too deep.  If Cedric Tillman didn’t get hurt this season he very likely could’ve been the top WR drafted.  The only reason that Hendon Hooker had 5 TDs against Alabama is because Jalin Hyatt had 5 TDs against Alabama.  Hyatt played lights out that game and the Alabama defense couldn’t keep up with his speed.   Elite WRs can make very pedestrian QBs look decent.  Amari Cooper did the same thing to AJ McCarron.

The fact that you think that Trey Lance isn’t a good player just makes you sound very ignorant when it comes to scouting QB talent.  He went #3 overall because many scouts, coaches, and GMs from multiple teams, that are all better scouts than you, all determined that he was worth getting drafted in the top 5.  There is a reason he got drafted higher than Justin Fields and Mac Jones.  He did play against weaker competition, but that doesn’t make him less of a prospect.  It is just something extra that you have to keep in mind when scouting him.  He played in a pro style offense in college; unlike Hooker.   He goes through progressions and doesn’t stare down his first read; unlike Hooker.  He can read the entire field on a play; unlike Hooker.  He has extremely good footwork in his pass sets; unlike Hooker.  If you watch the Trey Lance pro day workout on YouTube he is on par with guys like Trevor Lawrence as a passer.  Keep in mind pro days are only worth a grain of salt because they are scripted and in near perfect conditions, but you can still learn things about a player from watching them.  The only reason that Trey Lance didn’t start his rookie year was because the 49ers coaching staff wanted to let him develop a year since he missed an entire year of college football during the COVID pandemic.  Then when Trey Lance finally got a chance to start last season he played admirably in the, windy and pouring rain, monsoon conditions in Chicago. Chicago already has one of the toughest stadiums in the league to play at because it gets so windy by the Great Lakes, but the conditions in that game were even worse than normal.  The he broke his ankle in week 2 and only a few snaps.  The truth is that no one truly knows how high Trey Lance potential is, but it’s hard to argue with the fact that his trade value will likely never be lower than it is right now.  Trey Lance is 3 years younger than Hendon Hooker and could likely be acquired for less than a 1st round pick.  You see teams give up on talented players too early all the time.  The Chargers gave up on Drew Brees and the Falcons gave up on Brett Favre way too early.  This situation with Trey Lance isn’t really that different from either of those situations.  It’s at very least worth a flyer taking a chance on something that potentially has really high upside rather than making a huge reach on Hendon Hooker.