Mock (YEAH) ing (YEAH) Drafts (YEAH)

wcblack34

3 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Every 5th round pick that is a success underlines the assumption that there is value in the lower rounds.  But, for whatever reason, if a first rounder busts, it's an outlier and teams and fans value a first round pick like it was the Holy Grail.

Much like the stock market, the NFL draft is 50% research and 50% irrational emotion.  My thought is that you don't really know what you have in a draft pick until they have been in the league 3 years.  The end of the third year you can measure growth, coachability, and consistency.  I think it's prudent for fans to not get either excited or discouraged on draft weekend.  The Vikings will be several months before playing a game that counts.  I treat the NFL draft like the Pro Bowl.  It probably is not worth watching, but I can get a good summary in the newspaper the next day.

Are you arguing that the draft is random? It is not, not even close. 

I'm thinking the luck involved with the draft relates to positional need vs who's available to fill than need. If-then analysis and common sense futures management  kinda dictate the decisions, right?  

In that sense, a team makes its own luck - draft day wise.  Then, 3 years down the road, does a GM get called lucky?   Nope, he's a genius if he drafted 8 guys, 6 of whom start and 3 are pro-bowlers --- and the team won a SB with those guys.  

For me, the Vikes can have a good start in the drafting selecting the best available player of LBs, CBs, and DL.  Does that equal success?   Nah . . . Selecting one of the three starts a chain reaction though . . . So does drafting at TE at #23, but oh my, how would fans scream about that? 😂

in my career i've hired and fired a LOT of employees. my success rate is about 50%. maybe a bit lower.

so even though you've interviewed the person, did your research, asked them scenario reaction questions... it's still about a 50/50 thing that it will work out.

i've never understood why football fans get so upset when a draft pick doesn't.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

in my career i've hired and fired a LOT of employees. my success rate is about 50%. maybe a bit lower.

so even though you've interviewed the person, did your research, asked them scenario reaction questions... it's still about a 50/50 thing that it will work out.

i've never understood why football fans get so upset when a draft pick doesn't.

Me too!!

On 4/10/2023 at 10:25 AM, Captain Relax said:

Nope.  However, I am arguing that luck plays a significant role.  Analytics cannot guarantee that a player will succeed in the NFL.

Exactly. Analytics suggested that Henry Ruggs was on the way to a breakout season, and then a drunk driving incident ended his NFL career. You never know what will happen in life. 

Using PFFs mock draft simulator:

*Trade pick #23 to the Steelers for pick #32 and #120*

32. Emmanuel Forbes Jr - CB - Miss St. 

- My favorite CB in this draft solely based on his film and matchups. He has incredible instincts, ball skills, and quickness. He looks like he’s been playing football his whole life. Didn’t see a play where he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Always in position, and can even stick with WRs during scramble drills. I think that’s the hardest thing for CBs to do, and he did a great job against Bryce Young and Alabama the last few years. His game against Jameson Williams is one of my favorites to watch. Given that Jamo is in our division, we need Forbes to put the clamps on him for at least the next 4 years. 

#87 - Trey Palmer - WR - Nebraska 

- One of the most explosive WRs in this draft. I think the fact that he’s only had one great season, is the reason why he’s a third rounder. If he had stayed in school and repeated what he did last year, he’d be a first rounder in 2024. He can impact the game with only a few touches, and that’s exactly what we need to complement Jefferson. They were teammates at LSU when Palmer was a freshman, so JJ can be the perfect role model/mentor for his fellow Louisiana native. 

#119 - Zacch Pickens - DT - South Carolina

- He’s a big, strong DT who is hard to move, and that can also put pressure on the QB. Kind of reminds me of Dalvin Tomlinson. Who better to replace Tomlinson than someone who plays similar to him?

#120 - KJ Henry - Edge - Clemson

- Very athletic edge rusher who checks all of the boxes and had very impressive reps for Clemson last year. I like his speed and ability to bend the corner. We’ve had great success at finding Edges in the middle rounds and I think drafting Henry will continue the trend. 

#158 - Dorian Williams - LB- Tulane

- Fast LB who fits the mold of what of what Kwesi is trying to do. We need to add depth at LB with Kendricks gone, and this pick does just that. 

#211 - Juice Scruggs- IOL- Penn St

- Another depth guy to add to our interior offensive line. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Is Tank really an appropriate nickname for a wide receiver?  That's a name for a fullback or a middle linebacker.  Receivers need nicknames like Crazy Legs or Bambi!!

In truth, I know nothing about 99% of the players in this draft, as I don't follow college football. Maybe he is a Tank!!!