Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

Don’t know if it’s against the rules to post myself but I cut the photo and added it to Twitter.

His stats in the playoffs aren’t great at all. He was terrible in the SB in 2019. I remember thinking the 9ers were trying to keep him from throwing and just trying to rely on their rushing game. You just had to be watching the game to get a feel for it. Jimmy looked like he held them back. It’s why they drafted a Trey Lance third overall.

They had the second best rushing offense that season and the second best defense YPG. 

Simply put, I hate this signing. My hope for this team is at its lowest after today. I was hoping a big name FA signing would get me back on the wagon but I’m pretty bummed out. I think he’s a bum. My cousin is a huge 9er fan and he hates Jimmy G.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Don’t know if it’s against the rules to post myself but I cut the photo and added it to Twitter.

His stats in the playoffs aren’t great at all. He was terrible in the SB in 2019. I remember thinking the 9ers were trying to keep him from throwing and just trying to rely on their rushing game. You just had to be watching the game to get a feel for it. Jimmy looked like he held them back. It’s why they drafted a Trey Lance third overall.

They had the second best rushing offense that season and the second best defense YPG. 

Simply put, I hate this signing. My hope for this team is at its lowest after today. I was hoping a big name FA signing would get me back on the wagon but I’m pretty bummed out. I think he’s a bum. My cousin is a huge 9er fan and he hates Jimmy G.

It's all exciting when you first find out that you're moving on for the quarterback that was there for nine years with only two winning seasons until you realize that stuff like this is the alternative

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I watch many 9er games with my family too. Jimmy G sucks...I'm usually bias and very optimistic towards the Raiders. I can't say I feel that any longer. 

Missing out on Brady. Missed out evaluating Carr. Missed out on a playoff run. Missing out on trading for the top pick.....these things are just unacceptable. I guarantee missing out on one of the top 4 QBs of this class will far far outweigh the cost of a couple picks they refused to sacrifice to get it. If the next month plays out this way. This far this regime's theme is "Missed it by *that* much" 

11 minutes ago, Jerry said:

In general, I don't hate Jimmy G. He's solid enough...play wise, not physically...to hold down the fort and captain a good team to a good record and maybe do just enough to have a legit shot at winning it all. 

For us, I hate the signing. He's injury prone, we don't have a particularly good OL, opposing AFCW pass rushers > NFC pass rushers all day, our weapons are all ?'s outside of Adams (Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk are a better core that we have, imo...and a Shanahan RB is always going to produce enough to offset even a better RB in a different scheme enough to get by), and our defense is dog **** compared to San Francisco's. 

If I had a team that was absolutely ready to contend yearly and just needed a bridge QB for a year or so to hold things down, I wouldn't mind the signing. I wouldn't be excited, but I could handle having someone that can be plugged in and play and not be utter trash while knowing better was coming and I'd be set. I liked Alex Smith more, but it's not entirely unlike the Chiefs plugging Smith in to keep the seat warm for a solid contender's future QB. 

The problem is, we're not in that position by any stretch of the imagination. That said, if it keeps us from doing something dumb like giving up the house for a QB we'll ruin in a year or two by not putting anything around him (yet again) I can live with the signing and say Jimmy provided us a service and favor. Problem is, Jimmy himself isn't going to keep us from doing something dumb like giving up the house for a QB that we'll ruin in a year or two by not putting anything around him. The offense will age out and the defense will still be the Pat Graham special, and we'll just have wasted another half decade. 

6 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Missing out on Brady. Missed out evaluating Carr. Missed out on a playoff run. Missing out on trading for the top pick.....these things are just unacceptable. I guarantee missing out on one of the top 4 QBs of this class will far far outweigh the cost of a couple picks they refused to sacrifice to get it. If the next month plays out this way. This far this regime's theme is "Missed it by *that* much" 

Gotta disagree on the giving up picks part. Hardly works out well and usually sets teams back and hampers progress for the QB. It's all a balancing act though. 

However, nail on the head with the bolded. It aligns more perfectly than poetry with Josh's weekly "We'll learn from our mistakes and get better" press conferences. 

6 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I agree. I doubt we get one of the top three QBs this year and will play ourselves out of the top QBs for next year as well. Our defense is still putrid. Pretty sure we aren’t signing J Poyer now. Wouldn’t be surprised if Jimmy G ended up injured. Still haven’t signed a DL when we clearly need major upgrades outside of Crosby. Our LBs are mid. Don’t we have a ton of FAs hitting the market? Just looked it up. 25 players hitting FA. I’m sure most of them are trash but that’s some major roster turnover.

I’m just wondering when the Raiders are going to right the ship and it’s looking like a long term rebuild is inevitable. We have one starting caliber player on the defense. Crosby can’t do it by himself.

Alright, I’ll simmer down. This has been a very lackluster day.

Jimmy is going to be the new Rich Gannon.

ETA: I just want to say that I love this move. Ziegler and McDaniels upgrade at QB with the best option on the market for half the cost of DC. I think this team has a chance to be special with Jimmy leading them, dude is a baller and a winner.

Edited by NYRaider

4 hours ago, Jerry said:

I agree. I doubt we get one of the top three QBs this year and will play ourselves out of the top QBs for next year as well.

We’ll probably be out of range for Young and Stroud, but Levis could be there. I don’t regard Richardson as a top 3 QB in this draft. 

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Jimmy Geezus

Talks about YAC being a strength for Jimmy and shows an errant pass Deebo has to jump and contort to gather before he beats 5 defenders and scores 😄 it was all Jimmy! Well done Jimmy 👍🏼

In all seriousness, the guy has taken a lot of criticism and he seems well liked and he has worked in McDaniels scheme with some success. Maybe I’m just trying to sell myself on the idea though………..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I guess there's two ways to look at it...........he's won a lot of football games but he's been on very good teams and they've carried him or he's won a lot of football games on good teams and he's been an integral part of that success. What worries me is that the 49ers clearly didn't think he was good enough and moved on with Trey Lance and then Brock Purdy came in out of nowhere and did what he did, maybe even better.

I think McDaniels does know how to scheme up an offence, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what they do with regard a rookie QB potentially and to see how it all plays out next season.............

• Like 2

I'm not super excited about that signing, but to me it was the only smart thing to do. Especially after the Panthers trade.

Now we are less predictable in the 1st round and can go BPA. It even wouldn't exclude us from drafting a QB in the first round, if our highest rated QB somehow falls into our lap.

I don't think that we could say the same, if we for example signed Baker.