Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

16 hours ago, G said:

I blame Mark Davis...He hired the people who made this mess. 

BP you and I both believe in consistency and establishing something long term. With investing I'm willing to 'catch a falling knife' (invest good money after it goes bad) and I'm also able to cut my losses and move on quickly if I feel something is 'off.' Something seems 'off' about McDaniels. I'm judging (I define judgement as expectation not in present time) McDaniels off of his overall history and the conditions/environment of when he had SUCCESS. The person's CHARACTER or MY 'perception' of that person's character. Character is WHY I gave Carr more leeway than I'm WILLING to give McDaniels.  McDaniels success was under Bill with Brady at QB. We saw Brady can win without Bill and Bill will get his chance to win without Brady. McDaniels FAILED in a most EPIC and fan base despised fashion. Like one of the most hated coaches by a fanbase  except BOB of Texans lore who failed because THEY DIDN'T CUT and kept investing good money as it went bad. 

Then McDaniels has success with Bill and Brady again then takes the Indy job but bails in a not good way which Bill did to the Jets so he learned from his boss a few things EXCEPT how to win and lead men into battle where they are willing to sacrifice for you. If were at war and in a fox hole together I've already taken McDaniels OUT myself. I've always been able to 'follow' but not long if the leaders act like they shouldn't be followed. I think the past 3 years has strengthened my resolve in this matter as I see a lack of leadership and taking responsibility in our so called 'leaders' and I don't mean just political but CEO's etc. I've called mine out several times (don't know why I wasn't fired) and I keep getting raises to keep me as I'm always 'one foot out the door.' Maybe it's because OTHERS see the same lack of leadership and don't want to lose those who are willing to speak up so they defend US behind closed doors. I don't know and it doesn't matter as we'll all pass/move on at some point. As a Raider fan already one foot out the door I hope the team has success this season or moves on from McDaniels. 'Z' can be allowed to look for the next HC but final approval should be Mark's and if it's following the 'Patriot Way' and not Bill himself then I say 'NO' and fire 'Z' on the spot and hire a new GM and let them do their job. The GM shouldn't be Pats Way' nor from the Super Bowl teams. 

You are right that we need to have patience... Build a good culture and have some consistent programs set in place for the future. I wasn't a fan of the hire but I was willing to give him a chance and the results I've seen combined with his history is why I'm not willing to accept him. HE CAN EARN all of that back (I'm happy to eat crow) by PROVING his way works but he gets to do that with a chunk of the fans wanting nim gone already. HE did EARN that. So is he a fighter or...

I understand this line of thinking. I think the perception of McDaniels comes from his background and all the fan group think around him. Most in the media have always held him in high regard and were praising him being hired in Vegas. 

Former players in New England all speak highly him. Guys like Moss, Brushci, Edleman, Brady. Former Broncos speak poorly of him. At this point, his present holds more weight for me than his past in Denver when he was out of his depth. Denver fans hating him gives me more reason to root for him in all honesty. 

Everything reported on McDaniels is he's nothing like the guy he was in Denver. Several current players have spoken highly of him and what they are trying to build. His staunchest critics of course take exception to that because "what are they going to say" but for me, I saw a team that did not quit on him. They competed hard despite some glaring roster challenges. That tells me there is buy in as reported. 

The moment they quit on him, then I'll agree it's time to move on. But after year 1, I saw enough to say he deserves time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I understand this line of thinking. I think the perception of McDaniels comes from his background and all the fan group think around him. Most in the media have always held him in high regard and were praising him being hired in Vegas. 

Former players in New England all speak highly him. Guys like Moss, Brushci, Edleman, Brady. Former Broncos speak poorly of him. At this point, his present holds more weight for me than his past in Denver when he was out of his depth. Denver fans hating him gives me more reason to root for him in all honesty. 

Everything reported on McDaniels is he's nothing like the guy he was in Denver. Several current players have spoken highly of him and what they are trying to build. His staunchest critics of course take exception to that because "what are they going to say" but for me, I saw a team that did not quit on him. They competed hard despite some glaring roster challenges. That tells me there is buy in as reported. 

The moment they quit on him, then I'll agree it's time to move on. But after year 1, I saw enough to say he deserves time.

Meyers comments makes me think McDaniels might bring a toughness (former Pats you mentioned were tough) So even if we don't have success, at least the guys who remain will have a better foundation than we do. We are the bottom of organizations not the top like the Pats and I'd say the Donkey's are also way above us on respectability. 

What we do have is state of the art facilities in a growing city that never sleeps. We need WINS to get the locals repping like they do the Knights. I saw Raiders better repped in San Diego (lived there during our SB) than I do in Vegas (there now). A's look to be on their way so the NBA probably won't be too far off. Draft is coming up so hopefully those assets are used well to create that foundation win or lose. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

And there's the reason, I was SOOO confused why we reworked the contract that way with the guarantees and signing bonus, makes so much more sense now that they figured the injury part out. Just unbelievable that he failed his physical and they acted like nothing is wrong. 

Perhaps they're right though and he'll be just fine by the time the preseason starts. I've always thought there was something up with SF and all the medical issues they have over the years. Would not surprise me if they're just sub par and didn't tell Jimmy to get the surgery earlier when he needed it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dessie said:

Unbelievable what’s going on? Why did we rework his contract recently? 

Perhaps we reworked his contract to ensure we would have no dead money or make it easy to cut him with zero repercussions if he is injured and unable to play this season or fails a future medical before the season? That would make sense, albeit we don’t usually do things that make much sense………

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I laughed when I read the number of posters who said ‘not reading all that’ and then wanted it spelled out for them like a toddler……..what’s wrong with people these days? 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Perhaps we reworked his contract to ensure we would have no dead money or make it easy to cut him with zero repercussions if he is injured and unable to play this season or fails a future medical before the season? That would make sense, albeit we don’t usually do things that make much sense………

Yea I think that’s what’s happened, makes sense in fairness although concerning that we may end up with Hoyer or O’Connell as starting QB.  

6 hours ago, NickButera said:

And there's the reason, I was SOOO confused why we reworked the contract that way with the guarantees and signing bonus, makes so much more sense now that they figured the injury part out. Just unbelievable that he failed his physical and they acted like nothing is wrong. 

Perhaps they're right though and he'll be just fine by the time the preseason starts. I've always thought there was something up with SF and all the medical issues they have over the years. Would not surprise me if they're just sub par and didn't tell Jimmy to get the surgery earlier when he needed it. 

49ers medical staff looking suspect. They told him not to get surgery to have him ready for playoffs knowing he wasn’t their worry after the season 

The Raiders covered their *** if Jimmy is not able to come back and that’s all fine and dandy, but this regimen needs this to work out. They taken a lot of sh/t from the media. This one would be hard to overcome imo if Jimmy does not ever make it to the field. 

On 3/16/2023 at 5:12 PM, bucksavage1 said:

This probably why we haven’t used too much cap space yet

This is the problem with legal tampering period and the media announcing signings. Players couldn’t sign deals until today. The media jumps the shark and acts like players have signed already

Jimmy G probably didn’t pass the physical and the brass is deciding what to do. Whether have him sign a revised  deal or tear it up all together.

Possibly weighing the a Lamar Jackson run or a trade up to #3

I was right again