Vikings sign DE Marcus Davenport (1 year, $13M)

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

With his injury history and inability to consistently produce because of it he wasn't going to be able to cash in.  He was probably looking at something like 3/24 if he wanted long term money but 1/13 lets him try for a bigger deal if he can stay healthy and put together a strong performance.

Half a sack last year killed his hopes for a big deal. 

He’s an example of one of those players who just doesn’t show up on the stat sheet like he does in the game. He’s disruptive and versatile. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dome said:

Half a sack last year killed his hopes for a big deal. 

He’s an example of one of those players who just doesn’t show up on the stat sheet like he does in the game. He’s disruptive and versatile. 

Oh yeah, he definitely helped out others, but he still had so many times when it looked like hew as going to have a breakout season and then one injury or another just either took him out for the rest of the season or started hampering his on the field play.  I just can't be upset with him leaving after being upset all the times he was about to breakout and didn't.

• Like 1

Just now, Raves said:

Oh yeah, he definitely helped out others, but he still had so many times when it looked like hew as going to have a breakout season and then one injury or another just either took him out for the rest of the season or started hampering his on the field play.  I just can't be upset with him leaving after being upset all the times he was about to breakout and didn't.

I really feel like Davenport is the newer Clowney.  You expect him to come out and be a stud and put up good numbers.  But he just doesn't do it when you see him right on the verge of it all year.  But like Clowney the numbers are not really great but he helps the team in run support and pressures that you never see on paper.   He was the 1 guy i was scared to death Falcons were going to over pay for his upside with Nielson coming here.   I was thinking like 4 or 5 years and 13 to 15 a year and then i be pissed about it lol.

• Like 1

Just now, FalconFan13 said:

I really feel like Davenport is the newer Clowney.  You expect him to come out and be a stud and put up good numbers.  But he just doesn't do it when you see him right on the verge of it all year.  But like Clowney the numbers are not really great but he helps the team in run support and pressures that you never see on paper.   He was the 1 guy i was scared to death Falcons were going to over pay for his upside with Nielson coming here.   I was thinking like 4 or 5 years and 13 to 15 a year and then i be pissed about it lol.

Clowney is a good comp IMO

Edited by Dome

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

Clowney is a good comp IMO

Rather other people agree or not Clowney is a useful player to have on a team and can help out overall.   They just bust on the dude all the time because he didn't live up to his expectations. But for the right price guys like him are a very good pickup for a team imo.

16 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Rather other people agree or not Clowney is a useful player to have on a team and can help out overall.   They just bust on the dude all the time because he didn't live up to his expectations. But for the right price guys like him are a very good pickup for a team imo.

The problem with Clowney is that he thinks he deserves top DE money when he doesn’t have that type of impact or production.

• Like 1

Just now, Kparty15 said:

The problem with Clowney is that he thinks he deserves top DE money when he doesn’t have that type of impact or production.

Not denying that one bit i have thought that myself over the years.  Always said if you could get Clowney for about 5 to 9 a year you were in good shape.  But once you went into double digits you were asking for trouble.

3 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Yup. Clowney is a valuable player whose impact is felt more than stats would indicate. But he's not quite as good as he thinks he is.

Anyway, really like the signing for the Vikings. Can't hate on a one-year deal for a player who's flashed plenty of potential.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 10:43 PM, twslhs20 said:

Has never played a full season. Avg 4.3 sacks a year opposite Cam Jordan, but his pressure stats are decent. Is he just unable to be a closer?

Yeah he’s not a finisher. He’s not really even a pass rusher. He’s strong and long enough that he does get to the QB and generates pressures despite not being particularly good at getting sacks.

He attacks the OL and defends his running responsibilities well. He’s so damn long he’ll get a hold of someone he has no business reaching, a lot of times he’s strong enough to hold them with that one arm too.

If you pin his ears back and send him after the QB you’ll likely be disappointed, he’ll cause problems for the offense but that’s not where he’s best… if your system lets him throw the OT at someone then see what happens, you’ll like what he brings to the table a lot better as an all around DE/OLB

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 9:23 PM, Forge said:

Damn, this was kind of a guy I wanted to grab for the niners.... Though I'm reasonably sure that would have resulted in more injuries than any player in history

you don't think they have enough d-line?  Seem like they are freaking stacked there to me and adding 13 million more to it seems like not good, they could add those resources to the offense somehow..  I am no Niners fan, just my observation on your take, could be completely wrong...  

1 minute ago, fluhartz said:

you don't think they have enough d-line?  Seem like they are freaking stacked there to me and adding 13 million more to it seems like not good, they could add those resources to the offense somehow..  I am no Niners fan, just my observation on your take, could be completely wrong...  

They just lost two of their top three edge players in ebukam and omenihu.