NY Giants trade with Raiders for TE Darren Waller

notthatbluestuff

1 hour ago, Forge said:

yeah, but I don't want to pay 12 million more for Waller to see if he can find that magic. Waller is simply not a cost effective player at this point. This is a team with Adams, Meyers, Jacobs, Renfrow...Waller is poor money utilization, especially given his struggles the last two years.Β 

Honest question, what do you think Moreau is going to cost? Josh Oliver just got $7M per year. Juwan Johnson got $6M per year. There's some very mid TEs making $8M per year in guys like Uzomah, Dissly, Logan Thomas, etc. So Waller won't be $12M more, he'd be $12M total, but that could legitimately only be like $4M more than Moreau gets. If he were on his rookie deal and entering like his second or third season I might be more inclined to agree.

I do agree that much on weapons is poor utilization, but I would argue they just shouldn't have added Meyers. Meyers's skillset feels redundant when you have Adams and Renfrow already. They were fine at the skill spots entering the offseason, IMO. It's everything else they needed to tinker with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Mark Davis owns the Las Vegas Aces and should offer Waller's new wife a trade to the New York Liberty to make up of for McDaniels zero social skills.

I mean, that's actually a great idea. That would be an amazing solid and get Mark Davis some major positive press. It's always great to take the high road with exes.

12 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Honest question, what do you think Moreau is going to cost? Josh Oliver just got $7M per year. Juwan Johnson got $6M per year. There's some very mid TEs making $8M per year in guys like Uzomah, Dissly, Logan Thomas, etc. So Waller won't be $12M more, he'd be $12M total, but that could legitimately only be like $4M more than Moreau gets. If he were on his rookie deal and entering like his second or third season I might be more inclined to agree.

I do agree that much on weapons is poor utilization, but I would argue they just shouldn't have added Meyers. Meyers's skillset feels redundant when you have Adams and Renfrow already. They were fine at the skill spots entering the offseason, IMO. It's everything else they needed to tinker with.

It's a fair question to wonder what he's going to cost, but if I'm going to marginalize the position (which seems logical given where the where the assets have been spent), I'm happy to look elsewhere if the guarantees are set up to pay him substantially more than 4 million per year. Go look at Irv Smith. Roberty Tonyan. The free agent class is reasonably deep with JAGs and the draft is in a good spot for tight ends as well. Someone is 100% going to slip through cracks and settle for a cheap one year deal to reset their market next year.Β 

You can't commit to marginalizing the position with regards to your skill pieces without actually doing it just because plan A doesn't work out. I know that Moreau is probably slated to get something silly like 7 or 8 per year, but I'm obviously not doing that. As you said earlier, there's nothing special there, so I'm not overpaying for it. If I lose Moreau as well, it is what it is.Β 

I do agree about the Meyers thing though. When I woke up and saw that, I thought good player, really nice price....don't understand why the Raiders of all teams did it.Β 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, .Buzz said:

He’s missed 14 games in two years and is in his 30s. Seems like fine compensation to me.

Funny how McDaniels is doing the whole β€œblow it all up” thing again it feels like though.

Sorry @.Buzz, could you help out a bit and explain the funny bit to me? Because i mostly feel pain. πŸ€•

• Like 1