NY Giants trade with Raiders for TE Darren Waller

notthatbluestuff

I'll echo what I said in our forum:

Guess I am in the vast minority but I am happy about this. Waller is a soon-to-be 31 year old, one dimensional, overpaid bandaid. He hasn't played a full season in two years, missing like 12 games over that stretch. He doesn't block. When he was playing he often had timely drops.

Sure he was an absolutely cheat code 3 years ago and his rehab story is heartwarming, but he has been steadily declining since getting that huge pay day.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

WOW. Pick 100 for Darren Waller. So we basically traded Kadarius Toney for a 5th and Darren Waller. I will take that any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I think it comes down to which one you think is a better rapper.

On that basis, I’d say the 5th round pick is the most valuable asset in that swap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Meh. Maybe. Not even sure on that any more. But given his age, his number and his health, I'd rather Moreau moving forward even if waller manages a comeback for a year. 

It's not uncommon for TE's to be impact players well into their 30's. In other words, I'd rather have the TE with the potential to play at an elite level for a few years vs a serviceable guy in Moreau for 5+ years. 

• Like 2

He’s made of wet tissue paper and doesn’t have a tough bone in his body. 31 years old and hasn’t put in effort since he got paid. Raiders also could’ve got more for him a few months ago but turned it down so that they could…still miss the playoffs.

Everyone’s taking an L here IMO

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

If they are bringing back Foster Moreau, this is mostly inconsequential for the raiders imo

Moreau is a decent player, but even with Waller missing a bunch of time these past two years, Moreau's peak game was like 6 catches for 60 yards and a TD. 3 career games over 60 yards, 3 career games over 5 catches. Never caught multiple TDs in a game. Moreau is your very generic, he'll get you 3 - 4 catches for about 40 yards per game, kind of TE. Waller, even with his recent struggles, is way more of a potentially game breaking talent.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

It's not uncommon for TE's to be impact players well into their 30's. In other words, I'd rather have the TE with the potential to play at an elite level for a few years vs a serviceable guy in Moreau for 5+ years. 

Don't receiving only guys like Waller who rely on freakish athleticism age worse than the more traditional guys like Witten?

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'll echo what I said in our forum:

Guess I am in the vast minority but I am happy about this. Waller is a soon-to-be 31 year old, one dimensional, overpaid bandaid. He hasn't played a full season in two years, missing like 12 games over that stretch. He doesn't block. When he was playing he often had timely drops.

Sure he was an absolutely cheat code 3 years ago and his rehab story is heartwarming, but he has been steadily declining since getting that huge pay day.

I was hoping we'd get more for him but I'm also OK w/ this for the reasons you stated. We literally lost a game b/c Waller dropped that late TD pass lol. Moreau is a good player and can do well at the position. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

He’s made of wet tissue paper and doesn’t have a tough bone in his body. 31 years old and hasn’t put in effort since he got paid. Raiders also could’ve got more for him a few months ago but turned it down so that they could…still miss the playoffs.

Everyone’s taking an L here IMO

Ya them not trading him for more last offseason is the real L here for the Raiders.

• Like 3

Looks like it is more of a one year commitment to the Giants given that contract.  So, it is an easy out for them.

Compensation was under what I thought his value was...even given the injuries.

Looks like a great "get" by the G-Men and a "meh" return for the Raiders.  And I'll echo the statement....Packers offered more for him....twice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Moreau is not good btw. I hope we don't revert to bringing him back. He had ample opportunities with Waller on the sideline and didn't do anything. Purely a JAG. He You can do worse but certainly much better.

• Like 2