NY Giants trade with Raiders for TE Darren Waller

notthatbluestuff

11 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Clearing space for Lamar. Foolproof plan.

Lamar plays the first 14 games of the season, gets them to 11-3. He then gets hurt. Jimmy G rides to the rescue and drags them to the Super Bowl with grit and charm and majestic hair.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I get the emotions of losing a guy who was good for you for a bit, but this is hardly a bad trade for the Raiders. Waller is on his way down and getting out on him now for the Raiders is probably the right time. Teams aren't trading premium draft capital for aging TE's who haven't played at their top level in two years.

Makes your team a bit worse this year, but I don't think this is a needle mover for either team for 2023. Giants need people to catch the ball this year though so they have to get a bit creative. 

We turned down a 2nd during the season for him. This is a very late 3rd.

Again I have no problem trading Waller, I think it's a great move. For the Giants I think it's worth it as they are going all in and IF he is healthy, focused and driven he can still be a dangerous receiving threat.

The biggest L is the front office killing our players' value in trades. Should have gotten more for Waller. Should have got something for Carr. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Moreau is a decent player, but even with Waller missing a bunch of time these past two years, Moreau's peak game was like 6 catches for 60 yards and a TD. 3 career games over 60 yards, 3 career games over 5 catches. Never caught multiple TDs in a game. Moreau is your very generic, he'll get you 3 - 4 catches for about 40 yards per game, kind of TE. Waller, even with his recent struggles, is way more of a potentially game breaking talent.

yeah, but I don't want to pay 12 million more for Waller to see if he can find that magic. Waller is simply not a cost effective player at this point. This is a team with Adams, Meyers, Jacobs, Renfrow...Waller is poor money utilization, especially given his struggles the last two years. 

• Like 1

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah but if this is the bar, it's pretty damn low.

Right I was just responding to your "worst trade of the year" comment.

I still don't think this trade is all that bad. It makes sense to do it now and what you got in return is fair. Not doing the trade last offseason/at the trade deadline is obviously very dumb. 

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We turned down a 2nd during the season for him. This is a very late 3rd.

At least you got something for him. Gettleman would let him walk and cancel out the comp pick on someone old and useless.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

2 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Don't receiving only guys like Waller who rely on freakish athleticism age worse than the more traditional guys like Witten?

A guy like Antonio Gates comes to mind. He did pretty well late in his career. Or just even guys I've recently seen play for the Saints like Ben Watson and Jared Cook did well into their mid 30's

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

It's not uncommon for TE's to be impact players well into their 30's. In other words, I'd rather have the TE with the potential to play at an elite level for a few years vs a serviceable guy in Moreau for 5+ years. 

He could. Or he could continue to not play and be rather pedestrian when he does. I'll take the pick and utilize my dollars better. 

He may have a bounce back year, but that's okay. Going to be right more often than wrong, but you have to willing to be wrong. 

Also I am going to sound like a bitter fan but so be it, there were reports he was alienating himself from the team and rubbing the team majorly wrong with how he handled injuries. He wouldn't be around the team and iirc he didn't travel with the team one game, instead going to a WNBA game. 

Nothing felt right about his injuries and timetables. Something was off, as if he was milking them or something shady. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Also I am going to sound like a bitter fan but so be it, there were reports he was alienating himself from the team and rubbing the team majorly wrong with how he handled injuries. He wouldn't be around the team and iirc he didn't travel with the team one game, instead going to a WNBA game. 

Nothing felt right about his injuries and timetables. Something was off, as if he was milking them or something shady. 

All of this means he's going to turn into prime Randy Moss for us, doesn't it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Soggust said:

This + Carr is basically signaling full rebuild for the Raiders, no?

I would usually be excited at them losing talent, but I don't think it's the worst strategy for them. Especially if it leads to JM being let go. 

They replaced them with Jimmy G and Jakobi Meyers, so I definitely don't think I would classify this as a rebuild.  

This is mostly just a roster restructure imo.