Aaron Rodgers intends to play for the Jets

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I dont see any scenario where the Packers get a single 1st let alone multiple. They'll cut him if they dont trade him imo. Like you said, GB has 0 leverage

Given the structure of his contract, they're on the hook for $24m this season regardless - his 2023 base salary is only a shade over $1m; they can pass the option bonus to the Jets but that option's not due, as @sparky151 brought up, till Week 1 - that's not a consequential enough amount to not merit digging their heels in.  And yes, there is still some leverage they hold because Rodgers just gave it to them - it's called the New York media market (cuz, you know, they're not prone to freaking out or anything) and until another QB is brought in, the Jets presumptive starter is Zach Wilson who is very much that bad.

If Rodgers could have checked his ego and not needed to be so attention-seeking, he very likely could have saved his presumptive future team in terms of compensation; instead he threw them under the bus.

Edited by Dr LBC
  • Like 2

Green Bay has a little leverage in that Rodgers has a huge option bonus due but it doesn't have to be paid until week 1. So they can sit on his rights until the start of the season. If the Jets want him in their offseason program and training camp, they have to make a deal. I'd guess the deal is done after the draft with a conditional pick or two for 2024. Or maybe it's done sooner with something along those lines. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Good to hear from the Prince of Darkness/Complicated Fella himself

It's weird.  I have a natural inclination to dislike Mahomes because of the people he surrounds himself with (and the whole ketchup on steak thing, which is a crime against humanity and common decency), but the more and more that other great QB's reveal themselves to be actual embodiments of all the personality traits I genuinely loathe, Mahomes is getting pushed up by default.  At least Russ had the decency to fall off as a performer somewhat concurrent with his peeling back the curtain to reveal he's a scummy person.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Given the structure of his contract, they're on the hook for $24m this season regardless - his 2023 base salary is only a shade over $1m - that's not a consequential enough amount to not merit digging their heels in.  And yes, there is still some leverage they hold because Rodgers just gave it to them - it's called the New York media market (cuz, you know, they're not prone to freaking out or anything) and until another QB is brought in, the Jets presumptive starter is Zach Wilson who is very much that bad.

If Rodgers could have checked his ego and not needed to be so attention-seeking, he very likely could have saved his presumptive future team in terms of compensation; instead he threw them under the bus.

I disagree. The Jets could just draft a QB. The chances GB is willing to keep Rodgers, regardless of the cap costs, is slim to none. There isnt a single other team interested in trading for Rodgrts according to reports. That in itself kills the leverage GB thinks they have. 

• Like 1