Is QB Caleb Williams in the god tier of prospects?

RaidersAreOne

On 3/15/2023 at 2:49 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

72JSWPTZZO5WGQJS5M3374NGNY.jpg

With one year remaining before he gets drafted, where would you rank the hype train for QB Caleb Williams? Everything I have read and watched screams true generational QB prospect. Has/will he reach the god tier of QB prospects in Manning/Luck/Lawrence, or is he simply a very good QB prospect? Also how do you project him at the next level? 

He’s good. NFL starter good. He also plays on a football powerhouse and is surrounded by really good supporting talent. I think he is a Carson Palmer level talent. You have to take him at #1 given the opportunity. It should work out. He shouldn’t end up like Matt Leinart or Mark Sánchez. It’s a roll of the dice though when you take a player from an elite program. 

I do not view him on the same level as Andrew Luck or Michael Vick as a prospect though. 

Edited by Leoric

4 hours ago, Mox said:

USC is a 3-4 win team this year without Caleb. Not sure powerhouse or really good supporting talent fits.

No they aren’t. Lincoln Riley will have a group of scrubs putting up 40. They would still be good. Obviously Caleb is the engine and yeah he’s far and away their best player, but they aren’t starved for talent. Powerhouse though? Definitely not. They’re a good football team with an elite QB and playcaller. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

No they aren’t. Lincoln Riley will have a group of scrubs putting up 40. They would still be good. Obviously Caleb is the engine and yeah he’s far and away their best player, but they aren’t starved for talent. Powerhouse though? Definitely not. They’re a good football team with an elite QB and playcaller. 

This team would absolutely not be good without Caleb. They have the best player in college football to keep them scoring and on the field. They've played the 119th ranked schedule in the country so far and haven't even looked good. By the end of the year they are going to have a defense ranked in the 100's.

14 hours ago, Mox said:

This team would absolutely not be good without Caleb. They have the best player in college football to keep them scoring and on the field. They've played the 119th ranked schedule in the country so far and haven't even looked good. By the end of the year they are going to have a defense ranked in the 100's.

I bet you USC wins a similar amount of games next year with a different QB. Lincoln Riley's offense brings everyone up. The defense is not good, but their O will always be good enough to outscore teams. And their schedule sucks. Who do you think they would lose to & only end up with 3-4 wins if they didn't have Caleb?

22 hours ago, Mox said:

USC is a 3-4 win team this year without Caleb. Not sure powerhouse or really good supporting talent fits.

I get wanting to build up your guy, but the hyperbole here is way too strong.  Riley has never won less than 9 games, while barely ever stopping anybody, with 5 or 6 different guys at QB.  Why would the difference be so much more extreme this time than it has been any other time?  

Edited by OkeyDoke21

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I bet you USC wins a similar amount of games next year with a different QB. Lincoln Riley's offense brings everyone up. The defense is not good, but their O will always be good enough to outscore teams. And their schedule sucks. Who do you think they would lose to & only end up with 3-4 wins if they didn't have Caleb?

3-4 games might be a little low but they would not be good, which is what you said. The schedule they've played so far is terrible. Without Caleb they would already have at least one loss. The schedule they have coming up is absolutely brutal. Five of the next six games they play are teams that are or were just ranked and the 7th is another decent team.

28 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I get wanting to build up your guy, but the hyperbole here is way too strung.  Riley has never won less than 9 games, while barely ever stopping anybody, with 5 or 6 different guys at QB.  Why would the difference be so much more extreme this time than it has been any other time?  

Because the schedule actually gets hard coming up. It's not the cakewalk Riley has always had. If you think this team wins 9 games without Caleb, then there is nothing to talk about.

24 minutes ago, Mox said:

Because the schedule actually gets hard coming up. It's not the cakewalk Riley has always had. If you think this team wins 9 games without Caleb, then there is nothing to talk about.

There is an amount of wins between 9 and 3.  The last time USC won under 4 games was prior to the creation of the US Interstate System.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 1

Just now, Mox said:

And what do you think that number would be?

Not sure, but with just putting Nelson in for Williams, if the o/u was 7.5, I'd be putting money on the over.   At 3.5, I'd be contemplating putting a potentially life breaking amount on money on the over.   

Edited by OkeyDoke21

26 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Not sure, but with just putting Nelson in for Williams, if the o/u was 7.5, I'd be putting money on the over.   At 3.5, I'd be contemplating putting a potentially life breaking amount on money on the over.   

I mean I revised 3-4 multiple posts ago. If you're putting the over on 7.5, that's still a bad bet.

• Like 1

Anyone else find it at least a little bit concerning, how hard Williams makes it look for USC to win some very winnable games?  Maybe not as dominant a program as some, but it's not like his team is utterly lacking in talent compared to the competition.  Just feels like there's an x-factor missing as that "elevating" presence or something.  If you're drafting this guy #1...and especially if you're even asking if he's in that absolutely elite tier of all time QB prospects...do you not want to see something more convincing?  You want him to elevate your NFL program...should he not be able to more convincingly elevate his college program?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Anyone else find it at least a little bit concerning, how hard Williams makes it look for USC to win some very winnable games?  Maybe not as dominant a program as some, but it's not like his team is utterly lacking in talent compared to the competition.  Just feels like there's an x-factor missing as that "elevating" presence or something.  If you're drafting this guy #1...and especially if you're even asking if he's in that absolutely elite tier of all time QB prospects...do you not want to see something more convincing?  You want him to elevate your NFL program...should he not be able to more convincingly elevate his college program?

Look at the track record of Alex Grinch as DC.  It's ugly.  Oklahoma's defense was miserable with Grinch, and so is USC.

On 10/4/2023 at 6:21 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

They're a Playoff-caliber team with Caleb.  They're probably a 7-9 win team without him.  Do with that information what you want to.