Is QB Caleb Williams in the god tier of prospects?

RaidersAreOne

On 10/19/2023 at 3:25 PM, Epyon said:

Even worse, it's RECYCLED clickbait.  This was a story like a month ago (at least that was the first time I saw it), and it's only been zombified back into existence because Caleb laid an egg vs Notre Dame, so now all the beat writers are recycling the story barely anyone saw (save the teams already in the '23 pit of misery that expect to be in draft range for him), since "hate on caleb" articles are all the rage this week.

The other big one is claims that he's going to refuse to play for specific teams, because his dad had a comment earlier this year. That one has come back a few times already. The reality is, unless he massively tanks his draft stock, he's getting drafted by a terrible team.

Did you expect better from Billy spikes? 

• Like 1

Had a much better game against Utah, but guy does not thrive within structure. If a team can get him dialed in to hit guys on time he’ll be great with his penchant for magic. 

His attitude also seems poor though, so getting him to stay within structure, especially for a bad team, will be a challenge 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 12:16 PM, Chiefer said:

Had a much better game against Utah, but guy does not thrive within structure. If a team can get him dialed in to hit guys on time he’ll be great with his penchant for magic. 

His attitude also seems poor though, so getting him to stay within structure, especially for a bad team, will be a challenge 

He kept them in that Utah game a LOT with his legs, something I don't think he'll be able to do nearly as much at the NFL level.

Piss poor attitude shining through again, sitting on the bench pouting on National TV as Utah won the game.

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

He kept them in that Utah game a LOT with his legs, something I don't think he'll be able to do nearly as much at the NFL level.

Piss poor attitude shining through again, sitting on the bench pouting on National TV as Utah won the game.

I agree, and it is hard because his expectation this year was USC win every game and do so by a wide margin in most of them with Caleb Williams having tons of highlight throws each game.  He is clearly frustrated on the sidelines but is also greatly missing Jordan Addison as a guy who can consistently get open and be a top end WR.  They do not have anyone currently who is even close to a 1st round level WR.

They have decent WRs but clearly Singer is a very overrated, I always though Crowing was better than Singer on Arizona.  Rice is good but not a game changer and probably is only a late round pick.  Mario Williams is just straight disappointing and not very consistent and Tahj Washington is also not super consistent.  Then you have a very solid RB in Lloyd but they rarely even give him the football and are clearly not committed to the run either.  Is odd they do not use Branch more as a WR in the slot with his amazing athletic ability and get him the ball more.  

Curious if this drops Caleb Williams but honestly a lot of those super highly rated guys had a some what down following year in college, Trevor Lawrence for one, and Deshaun Watson, Bryce Young etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I think he’s more athletic than Mahomes, and Mahomes can get away. I think Caleb has just enough to make it work In the NFL.

Problem is he’s similar to Mahomes, and the NFL has had 5 years installing defenses to combat Mahomes and QBs like him. They’re gonna make him take the short stuff, pass rush is even more intense, so there are probably gonna be growing pains there. 

13 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Its not about liking more though. If they like them similarly enough, they could easily talk themselves into saying do we want

Caleb Williams

or 

3 1st round picks(plus using their other on Maye)

They wouldn't trade away 1 overall and settle for whichever qb the team trades up for doesn't wat. They take the guy they prefer at 1 and auction of two to the highest bidder if they don't want to pair their QB with Marvin Harrison jr 

On 10/25/2023 at 7:32 PM, Ozzy said:

Curious if this drops Caleb Williams but honestly a lot of those super highly rated guys had a some what down following year in college, Trevor Lawrence for one, and Deshaun Watson, Bryce Young etc.

This USC team isn't that good.  On the offensive side of the ball, I think only MarShawn Lloyd and Zachariah Branch have futures in the NFL.  And don't get me started on the defensive side of the ball.

Now that USC is losing people are starting to swing too wildly on Caleb Williams, the proverbial penthouse to outhouse kind of outlook.  Those of us saying he isn't some generational prospect but still looks like the top QB prospect in this class haven't really changed their opinion much, we're just being proven right by our initial view and aren't overreacting to a couple losses.

• Like 3