Is QB Caleb Williams in the god tier of prospects?

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Interesting how all the Caleb Williams detractors are quiet right now.

Am I supposed to be impressed by this performance against...Cal? He showed more of the same, ie his absolute refusal to take what the defense gives him instead breaking clean pockets hunting for homeruns every play. He put up a lot of passing yards on a poor completion percentage, was more athletic than a bunch of future social workers and scientists, and ran around like a chicken with his head cut off. Every week he's looking more Manziel than Mahomes. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

Am I supposed to be impressed by this performance against...Cal? He showed more of the same, ie his absolute refusal to take what the defense gives him instead breaking clean pockets hunting for homeruns every play. He put up a lot of passing yards on a poor completion percentage, was more athletic than a bunch of future social workers and scientists, and ran around like a chicken with his head cut off. Every week he's looking more Manziel than Mahomes. 

This game is a microcosm of what many (myself included) have said in defense of Caleb Williams.  For this being arguably a top 5 program in the history of CFB, there's a distinct lack of talent on this roster.  And the DC is a problem too.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 8:28 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

There is a scenario where they view them evenly

Even if they view them 100 percent the same, they will still take one and then trade the #2 overall pick. 

The optics of trading one overall and letting another team have a the first choice, leaving them with the scraps would be absolutely devastating. Talk about a complete failure in ability to make a decision.  And imagine the blowback if you did that and the guy selected at one hits and the guy you picked at two busts..... Eeesh. Might never get another gm job again.

The gm will pick the guy they like .000001% more and auction the other guy off. You'd still get an absolute haul.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 9:07 PM, CWood21 said:

This game is a microcosm of what many (myself included) have said in defense of Caleb Williams.  For this being arguably a top 5 program in the history of CFB, there's a distinct lack of talent on this roster.  And the DC is a problem too.

Take it from a Sooner alum and fan: That DC has always been a problem. We were glad to see him go with the Traitor. 

I believe Riley threw his last Sooner game. It was Bedlam, that yearly game against a wanna-be-rival in Oklahoma State. The all time record is 91-19, I believe. Not much of a rivalry when Oklahoma wins almost 80% of the time. But Riley just did not seem to have his head in that game...and now we know why. 

Are USC fans surprised at the rumors of Riley actively applying for NFL head coaching gigs? If someone hires him, it won't play out any differently than Kingsbury's tenure. 

As for Williams, I believe his career may mirror Kyler's.

47 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But yeah...Caleb Williams is the problem.

He certainly hasn't been perfect during this stretch though he was damn good last night. That said, everything else has always been the problem. There was no chance this team would win 7 games without him. Hell, they might finish with 7 WITH him.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

But yeah...Caleb Williams is the problem.

Nobody is blaming Caleb Williams solely for USC's struggles. Giving valid critiques of a player isn't an attack. I don't understand why you and some others get so bent out of shape by any form of opinion on Williams that isn't 100% glowing praise. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, cp0k2 said:

Nobody is blaming Caleb Williams solely for USC's struggles. Giving valid critiques of a player isn't an attack. I don't understand why you and some others get so bent out of shape by any form of opinion on Williams that isn't 100% glowing praise. 

Yes, nobody is saying the D has been good. It's clear as day they've been downright awful. 

Caleb doesn't play defense, he plays offense. And he individually has struggled pretty mightily against top 25 competition, especially competition with good-great defenses of their own. 

The defense being crap is not what causes him to have a lackluster TD-INT ratio and rating against those teams. The Washington game was proof that the defense giving up 40+ does not mean he can't have a good game himself. He hasn't, more often than not, and so that's on him, not the defense. More than fair to point out. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2023 at 11:24 AM, cp0k2 said:

Go back and re-read some of those posts made after the Notre Dame game.  USC is #2 in PPG offensively.  Defensively, their 124th.  Caleb Williams is USC.  Go look at their roster right now, how many on their 2-deep are draft able this year?  You've got MarShawn Lloyd (probably a Day 3 pick) and probably Brenden Rice (probably a Day 3 pick) at the skill positions.  The OL isn't much better.  You've probably got Justin Dedich as draft able.

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Go back and re-read some of those posts made after the Notre Dame game.  USC is #2 in PPG offensively.  Defensively, their 124th.  Caleb Williams is USC.  Go look at their roster right now, how many on their 2-deep are draft able this year?  You've got MarShawn Lloyd (probably a Day 3 pick) and probably Brenden Rice (probably a Day 3 pick) at the skill positions.  The OL isn't much better.  You've probably got Justin Dedich as draft able.

Its bad enough it is 100% comparable to what Mahomes was dealing with at Texas Tech. And I remember going round with people bashing him for having a losing record. Yeah, it's clearly his fault he only scored 41 while the defense gave up 43. 🙄

• Like 2

On 11/5/2023 at 11:24 AM, cp0k2 said:

Caleb has certainly struggled the past few weeks (less so Washington), no denying that. Plenty of valid critiques to make on his play including but not limited to not winning inside the pocket and having too many iffy performances in big games.

I also think a lot of people still don't realize how ****ty USC is or at least didn't until this week. That's not an excuse for Caleb, it's simply the truth. Look at what people were saying they thought USC could do without him. They were straight up wrong.

20 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Its bad enough it is 100% comparable to what Mahomes was dealing with at Texas Tech. And I remember going round with people bashing him for having a losing record. Yeah, it's clearly his fault he only scored 41 while the defense gave up 43. 🙄

Ironically speaking, that's exactly why he gets a TON of Patrick Mahomes comparisons.  But unlike Mahomes at Tech, Caleb Williams doesn't have the dreaded Kliff Kingsburry/Mike Leach stigma attached to him.  Prior to Mahomes, those Air Raid QBs never worked out in the NFL.  At least with Lincoln Riley, there was success with Jalen Hurts and middling success with Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield.