Is QB Caleb Williams in the god tier of prospects?

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Caleb on the Bears, he’s got DJ Moore, solidish OL, defense looks solid with Sweat but with a new HC who knows how the defense ends up. 

I think they grab a WR with that other top 10 pick, go after a Center, and that’s not a half bad start for him. 

The Bears can definitely set Caleb up pretty well.  Like you said, the other FRP is currently #5 (though likely to drop), so they could still add Nabers, Bowers, Alt, Fashanu, etc.  Who knows what they would get for Fields in a trade, but that may factor in as well.

All that being said, I’m still not sure the Bears move on from Eberflus or Fields.  I could see them wanting to run it back, trade out of 1.1, and absolutely load Fields up with talent from the draft.  If he then succeeds, great.  If not, you’ve got a stacked roster and likely future draft ammo to move up for a new QB.

We shall see.

4 hours ago, CBears019 said:

The Bears can definitely set Caleb up pretty well.  Like you said, the other FRP is currently #5 (though likely to drop), so they could still add Nabers, Bowers, Alt, Fashanu, etc.  Who knows what they would get for Fields in a trade, but that may factor in as well.

All that being said, I’m still not sure the Bears move on from Eberflus or Fields.  I could see them wanting to run it back, trade out of 1.1, and absolutely load Fields up with talent from the draft.  If he then succeeds, great.  If not, you’ve got a stacked roster and likely future draft ammo to move up for a new QB.

We shall see.

Dude if you guys don’t fire your coach I swear to Jesus…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CBears019 said:

We shall see.

Just seems dumb. Even if they think Fields might develop, he's also 3 years farther in his contract life. Reset it with Caleb on a new rookie contract with all that other stuff you just said.

• Like 3

On 12/22/2023 at 9:30 PM, Chiefer said:

Caleb on the Bears, he’s got DJ Moore, solidish OL, defense looks solid with Sweat but with a new HC who knows how the defense ends up. 

I think they grab a WR with that other top 10 pick, go after a Center, and that’s not a half bad start for him. 

If Caleb Williams is the diva that people claim him to be, it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to pull an Eli Manning.  And the Bears might actually benefit from that.  Trade that #1 pick to either Washington or New England for their pick this year, a FRP next year, and whatever else you can get from them.  Take either Drake Maye or Jaydon Daniels whoever falls to 3/4.

On 12/22/2023 at 10:44 PM, CBears019 said:

That'd be the most Bears-thing ever.  He's been brutal outside of a 2 game stretch against Washington and Denver who are both bottom 4 defenses in the NFL this year.

Washington/Denver: 43-65 (67.2%), 617 passing yards (9.49 YPA), 8 passing TD (12.3%), 1 INT (1.5%)
9 Other Games: 153-258 (59.3%), 1529 passing yards (5.93 YPA), 7 passing TD (2.7%), 8 INT (3.1%)

At this point, anything but cutting bait on him seems like a fool's errand.  I think there's 2 paths that Chicago goes down at this point.  Either stick at #1 and hope that Caleb Williams can break that QB curse for Chicago, or deal that pick away to either Washington or New England for as much as they can milk and grab either Jaydon Daniels or Drake Maye.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That'd be the most Bears-thing ever.  He's been brutal outside of a 2 game stretch against Washington and Denver who are both bottom 4 defenses in the NFL this year.

Washington/Denver: 43-65 (67.2%), 617 passing yards (9.49 YPA), 8 passing TD (12.3%), 1 INT (1.5%)
9 Other Games: 153-258 (59.3%), 1529 passing yards (5.93 YPA), 7 passing TD (2.7%), 8 INT (3.1%)

At this point, anything but cutting bait on him seems like a fool's errand.  I think there's 2 paths that Chicago goes down at this point.  Either stick at #1 and hope that Caleb Williams can break that QB curse for Chicago, or deal that pick away to either Washington or New England for as much as they can milk and grab either Jaydon Daniels or Drake Maye.

Sadly 75% of our fanbase in every poll wants to hold on to Fields for some reason beyond comprehension.

EDIT: save the most recent NBC poll which had 57% wanting to draft MHJ #1 overall...

For such a great city, it is infested with a LOT of really stupid people =(

Hopefully the GM isn't one of them.

Edited by Epyon

On 12/29/2023 at 2:19 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

🤔🤔🤔🤔

I don't get how any of this is tied to Williams. Williams wasn't the reason the defense grabbed ankles almost every game and gave up enough points to be a bottom 10 scoring defense in the nation. Lol

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I don't get how any of this is tied to Williams. Williams wasn't the reason the defense grabbed ankles almost every game and gave up enough points to be a bottom 10 scoring defense in the nation. Lol

Yeah.... feels like a media driven narrative, honestly....

That said, if I where a GM, I'd certainly try and ask around about that comment and if there's really a "Bo Callahan" thing going on there.

It's not the first weird nothingburger story about Williams this year, either..... 

-"Wants ownership of a team" was a all the rage in the summer and during the fall, with no cited sources......

-Then it was "will Eli Manning if the team sucks"

-Then there was the bit last weekend about him liking a tweet because someone doubting him and saying Fields was better  (when it would only make sense if he's the kind to use such comments as motivation)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Yeah.... feels like a media driven narrative, honestly....

That said, if I where a GM, I'd certainly try and ask around about that comment and if there's really a "Bo Callahan" thing going on there.

It's not the first weird nothingburger story about Williams this year, either..... 

-"Wants ownership of a team" was a all the rage in the summer and during the fall, with no cited sources......

-Then it was "will Eli Manning if the team sucks"

-Then there was the bit last weekend about him liking a tweet because someone doubting him and saying Fields was better  (when it would only make sense if he's the kind to use such comments as motivation)

I honestly couldnt care less less about what "reports" say. Just the same with reports that WAS is all-in on trading up for 1.1. It may well be Poles' staffers that are driving that narrative. These outlets are paid by clicks and watch time so it isn't in their best interest to do a lot of fact checking or searching. Make a headline, then search for another mountain to make into a molehill.

Poles and other GMs will do their deep dives on Williams. If they have doubts then sure, but from a completely football standpoint I feel like Williams is the better player. Fields IS a QB, not just a runner who can throw. But to me I don't believe he is worth a megadeal. Sell while high and move on. I'll be a fan of Fields wherever he ends up.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

None of us can pretend to know what goes in that locker room. Just find the quote a little weird and it's no secret that Caleb can be perceived as a dbag so it's interesting timing. That's all.

• Like 1

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

None of us can pretend to know what goes in that locker room. Just find the quote a little weird and it's no secret that Caleb can be perceived as a dbag so it's interesting timing. That's all.

True, I am more talking about the meathead fans that seem to be all over making drastic statements out of nothing. USC's defense has been trash all year, but it seems like every media platform had droves of people who took this (and numerous others) and said "See why Chicago should keep Fields? Was Williams the problem all along?" Just gets old seeing that kind of nonsense parroted. Like when some said Williams would not sign his rookie deal if he didn't get partial ownership. There is no truth to that. lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...