Fantasy Football General Discussion 2023

NYRaider

2 hours ago, 101Raider said:

Now that we know he's going to the IR for 4 weeks (and still has a murky season outlook), what is everyone doing about Jonathan Taylor?  At what point is the potential reward worth the risk?

Not even sure Taylor is going to play this year (with his contract situation he could just "re-injuried" himself and still gets that extra year of accrued time) so for me this is a situation where I would avoid him completely. Then again, if he's available in round 6-7 I would probably gamble on him depending on my team and players remaining on the board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 101Raider said:

I'm the complete opposite.  I put more value in TE (and QB) in shallower leagues.  More talent available to make up the difference in opportunity costs.

I agree.  The gap between Kelce and Hockenson last year was greater than the gap between Hockenson and the 25th best TE last year.  So having that gap is helpful and more noticable when there are only 10 teams because it doesn't come at the cost of starting a trash RB or WR. With a 12 team you lose value in each round so its harder to make up the loss at WR/RB. Thats why I completely ignore TE unless I get Kelce until I have my roster and a bench spot or two filled because guys like Okonkwo and Kmet score only 50 points less than guys like Kittle/Hock etc last year and he missed two games.  

Similarly, in my 6TDs for QB leagues, Mahomes scored 35 more points than Allen, Allen scored 45 more than Burrow who scored 10 more than Hurts.  Those were the only QBs over 400 points, so the gap between Mahomes and the #5 QB is 150 points, which means having Mahomes is 30% more valuable over a season.  Given a 10 team league, the 10th best QB last year (Herbert) scored 180 less than Mahomes over the season. 

Then compare that to WR/RB in a full point PPR league and Jefferson was 150 points better than the 18th best WR and Ekeler was 150 better than the 18th RB.  If you go to 20th of each since that's what would be started in a 10 team league and the difference is only 155 points difference.  

So if you go Kelce at 1, Waddle 2, Allen 3, Mattison 4, C. Watson 5, J. Cook/Pacheco 6, Dionte Johnson 7 etc you will have many more points than someone in there drafting any QB after Burrow and any TE.   

In a 12 team league, you are replacing Waddle/Allen with Burrow and Najee or something like that or two WRs with Najee and Olave and there is harder to take advantage of the perks provided by Kelce/Mahomes/Allen because your best non-QB/TE is not nearly as good.  

• Like 3

On 8/27/2023 at 9:46 AM, Lionized said:

Anyone here in a league that takes defensive positional players? I just joined one this year, and have zero idea how and who to value. From the scoring it looks like LB would have the most value. 

Any draft guides or simulators y’all use for this would be helpful. 

In my experience, it really doesn't matter. The ADP is all out of whack so if you just focus on wayyyy later round guys, you can get plenty of contributors later.  Dont be the guy who takes oluokun in the 3rd round or Bosa in the 4th- its a very dumb thing to do. Focus on LBs.

Depending on the scoring there are very few IDPs who are actual difference makers. I cut out 3 of my IDP leagues this year because I just found it annoying to manage injuries/bye weeks. The one I have left is a best ball dynasty, we start 4 FLEX IDPs. I waited until round 20 and later to get my players..

Nwosu (seattle)

Greenlaw (sf)

J.O.K. (cleveland)

Kaden Ellis (atl)

Tj edwards (chi)

Z Franklin (ind)

Leo Chanel (kc)

Hutchinson (det)

5 points per sack, Hutchinson was a trade for a 3rd round rookie pick

Edited by adamq

1 minute ago, adamq said:

In my experience, it really doesn't matter. The ADP is all out of whack so if you just focus on wayyyy later round guys, you can get plenty of contributors later.  Dont be the guy who takes oluokun in the 3rd round or Bosa in the 4th- its a very dumb thing to do. Focus on LBs.

Depending on the scoring there are very few IDPs who are actual difference makers. I cut out 3 of my IDP leagues this year because I just found it annoying to manage injuries/bye weeks. The one I have left is a best ball dynasty, we start 4 FLEX IDPs. I waited until round 20 and later to get my players..

Nwosu (seattle)

Greenlaw (sf)

J.O.K. (cleveland)

Kaden Ellis (atl)

Tj edwards (chi)

Z Franklin (ind)

Leo Chanel (kc)

Hutchinson (det)

5 points per sack, Hutchinson was a trade for a 3rd round rookie pick

That is awesome thank you! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lionized said:

That is awesome thank you! 

I’d say look at the settings more than ignoring ADP.  I’m in one league where the top defenders outscore everyone but QBs and there is a gap between the best and the tenth best.  I still wouldn’t likely take one before I have offensive starters selected but sometimes that value is just as important and if one of the top LBs is there, take them over your  3rd WR that scores half as many points. 

12 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Its risky but in a 10 team league I like it better.  He is a cheat code at TE and scores almost double the next best TE most years and with only 10 teams you have a good chance to get a solid turn of WR's in the second round.  Having a group of Kelce and two of ARSB/Wilson/Waddle/Olave is a solid start IMO. 

Thank you guys for the answers ! I think I will take the risk, this is a win/lose situation, and if I get Wilson which I like a lot to be a top 5 fantasy WR this year, it might be worth it.

Gotta pray though !

11 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I’d say look at the settings more than ignoring ADP.  I’m in one league where the top defenders outscore everyone but QBs and there is a gap between the best and the tenth best.  I still wouldn’t likely take one before I have offensive starters selected but sometimes that value is just as important and if one of the top LBs is there, take them over your  3rd WR that scores half as many points. 

Tackle solo-1

Tackle assist-.5

Sack-2

Interception-3

Fumble recovery-2

touchdown-6

Safety-2

pass defended-1

Block kick-2

Extra point return-2

4 minutes ago, Lionized said:

Tackle solo-1

Tackle assist-.5

Sack-2

Interception-3

Fumble recovery-2

touchdown-6

Safety-2

pass defended-1

Block kick-2

Extra point return-2

That seems pretty standard, but look in total if possible.  What does the top LB score compared to the 10th or 20th LB.  What do LB's score compared to offensive players.  Like I said above, I typically ignore them but in a league I recently joined, the defensive players have significantly more value compared to offensive guys.  Its a no PPR league and Wrs like Waddle and ARSB are scoring 140-160 points with quite a few being within 100 points of them while the top LB scored 365 and there are only 14 LBs that scored within 100 points of him and only 5 that scored over 300.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

With Jeff Wilson headed to IR what are the thoughts on Achane?

I think he was listed as week to week so not sure if he plays week 1. Is he a flex option in deep leagues or leagues with two flex spots?

In a deep league, maybe. But I don't think you can trust him right out of the gate. Mostert is the primary winner here. I don't know how much it means beyond that, to be honest

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

With Jeff Wilson headed to IR what are the thoughts on Achane?

I think he was listed as week to week so not sure if he plays week 1. Is he a flex option in deep leagues or leagues with two flex spots?

I'm all in on Achane. I think he could end up as a top 3 RB from this class. Very similar to Chris Johnson from a size/athleticism standpoint. Very naturally gifted runner that doesn't just bounce everything outside despite his elite explosive ability. McDaniel clearly loves the guy and wants to utilize him in a variety of ways. This injury to Wilson likely just expedited the inevitable of Achane becoming a viable fantasy in that offense. 

Achane has a very minor shoulder injury at the moment, but is likely to play week 1.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Appreciate the responses @Forge and @tyler735

Reminds me of when Kamara was a rookie. Had to stay patient in the early weeks and keep him on my bench but he helped me win the league. Hoping for the same from Achane....or Miller in NO 😜

I would gamble on achane before Miller unless it's super important for week one for you. Achane is a better stash to me