Official Minor League and Amateur Baseball Thread

beekay414

On 3/30/2024 at 2:50 PM, redsoxsuck05 said:

I kind of get it. Keep the taxi squad fresh, rehab stints, tuneups for late signings, etc.

MLB probably wants to scrap most of the minor leagues because they think it's cheaper to outsource player development to team complexes and stuff like Driveline. 

Oh, I get it.  I was just venting because I had to wait another week for the rest of the teams.  

11 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Welcome to the Ump Show!

Was apparently last year, according to my buddy. Ump got put on indefinite suspension. The right thing should've been fired.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 1:11 PM, beekay414 said:

Was apparently last year, according to my buddy. Ump got put on indefinite suspension. The right thing should've been fired.

It was last year. And close call sports did an interview with him afterward 

IIRC one of the teams was being racist throught the game and he got caught up in his emotions just wanting to get out of there. But it's been about a year since I listened to it

• Like 1

Thinking the Pirates are in maintaining mode with Skenes.  He pitched 140 innings last year.  I think they’re bringing him up mid-May and throwing him into the rotation for the rest of the season.  

Meanwhile, I’ve got to get over to see some games at the Orioles AA affiliate in Bowie.  There are a few interesting prospects over there.  

On 4/21/2024 at 12:05 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Thinking the Pirates are in maintaining mode with Skenes.  He pitched 140 innings last year.  I think they’re bringing him up mid-May and throwing him into the rotation for the rest of the season.  

Meanwhile, I’ve got to get over to see some games at the Orioles AA affiliate in Bowie.  There are a few interesting prospects over there.  

His numbers would be impressive if he was in rookie ball.  To be doing that against AAA competition is nuts.  27 K's in 12.2 innings is insane.  

But I agree, they bring him up late May/early June and have him for the rest of the season.  Dumb though unless they are in the hunt because if they would have started him in MLB he would be eligible for the extra draft pick for winning ROY.  

43 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

His numbers would be impressive if he was in rookie ball.  To be doing that against AAA competition is nuts.  27 K's in 12.2 innings is insane.  

But I agree, they bring him up late May/early June and have him for the rest of the season.  Dumb though unless they are in the hunt because if they would have started him in MLB he would be eligible for the extra draft pick for winning ROY.  

Agreed.  I really feel the same way about him and Max Meyer.  The Marlins demoted him and still have him opening for three innings.  Like, if you are going to do that, go ahead and do it in MLB.  I completely understand maintaining mode, and maybe for Skenes it’s beneficial to be down there given he was just drafted, but for Meyer I don;t understand. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Miss @devils1854and his analysis of the prospects and draft 

Spent a bit of time digging into the top prospects.  I'd by no means consider myself an expert by any means.

Charlie Condon [cOF; Georgia] - Probably has the biggest [tangible] upside in the draft.  He's absolutely mashed since he signed with Georgia out of high school.  He's never hit below .386, and he's got legitimate power.  And he's a draft-eligible as a sophomore.  He probably doesn't profile very well at 3B, but he seems destined to play one of the corner outfield positions and doesn't seem pigeonholed to 1B.  Feels like Cincinnati at 2 is his floor.

Travis Bazzana [2B; Oregon State] - All the kid does is hit, and there's not a lot of swing and miss in his game swing either.  And he's got power to boot.  Don't think he has any issues at 2B, but some question his defensive future.  He's got speed to be a threat on the base path.  I've seen a Jeff Kent comparison a few times, and I think the A's at 4 are probably his floor if Cleveland opts go go underslot at the top of the draft.

Jac Caglianone [1B/LHP; Florida] - Personally, I think he's a hitter through and through but if you think he can be a legitimate two-way player, than he's probably your top pick in the draft.  He's an absolute masher at the plate, and he's arguably the best pure bat in the draft.  I think he's got a bit more swing and miss tendency that will show against more advance pitching, but he's not Adam Dunn by any means.  Defensively, it's hard to see him at anywhere other than 1B or DH.  Pitching wise, he's got a great fastball but the off speed stuff needs developing.  If he can develop that, he could be a potential MOR to FOR starter.

Nick Kurtz [1B; Wake Forest] - if it wasn't for Caglianone, he'd be arguably the best pure bat in the class.  Unfortunately, he's not.  And he doesn't have the allure as a potential two-way player that Caglianone does.  I think he's probably a bat you could potentially play very soon in the big leagues.  He doesn't really have any issues with pitch recognition and doesn't have any real swing and miss tendencies.  Unfortunately, he doesn't offer any real positional value as a 1B/DH and he won't be much of a threat on the base.  I've seen a Jim Thome comparison thrown out a few times.  Seems like the White Sox are probably his floor.

Chase Burns [RHP; Wake Forest] - Arguably one of the top 2 pitchers in this year's class.  He's got a big time fastball, but it tends to get a bit too straight and might actually benefit by taking a few miles off of it rather than throwing is as fast as he does.  His slider is his bread and butter and probably his best pitch.  His curveball and change-up appear to be both be above-average pitches.  His control could stand to improve, but the development of his third pitch is going to be key for him if his fastball tends to get hit around a little too much.

Hagen Smith [LHP; Arkansas] - If Burns is 1A, then Smith is 1B as far as top pitching prospects go in this year's draft.  His fastball comes in a touch slower than Burns, but it's got more deception than Burns has on his fastball.  His slider is real go-to pitch, and probably a touch behind Burns's slider.  He's got a splitter that has some intrigue to it, but it's still very rough around the edges.  He had TJS back in high school, so naturally there are some medical concerns there.

• Like 1