Desmond Ridder and the Atlanta Offense

incognito_man

2023 Falcons offensive DVOA Rank  

65 members have voted

1. 1. 2023 Falcons offensive DVOA Rank

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

I really like the offensive pieces they’ve picked up (London, Bijan, Pitts), but tbh, I’m not sure how I feel about Ridder. 

He's better than people want to give credit for. Especially here.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

The team building is definitely suspect, but I don't fault Arthur Smith for running his offense the way he does (basically ignoring the pass catchers London and Pitts) when Ridder is his QB.

Ridder is still basically a rookie, so he's going to make mistakes out there. But he's much better than what Mariota was last year even playing like he has.

6 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

He came out looking pretty good yesterday. On the other hand he had two really bad throws that should have been easy picks. So I'm not sure about him yet.

He had 4 bad throws yesterday and those were 2 of them. That's for sure. The INT wasn't even a bad throw, more a good defensive play. Got hit as he threw and popped the ball up.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

The Falcons should have made a contract offer to Lamar Jackson. 

Then they wouldn't have Bijan or a pick next year or the key players on defense who have been leading the charge this year. 

And Lamar wasn't leaving in the first place.

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I mean. This was on the touchdown drive that they needed at the beginning of the 4th quarter to bring it within one score. Anyone who acts like he doesn't at least show flashes is kidding themselves. 

I mean that wasn’t really even a good throw, he under threw it and the db almost broke it up. He had an easy td pass if the receiver didn’t have to come back. 

• Like 10

Just now, hburn said:

I mean that wasn’t really even a good throw, he under threw it and the db almost broke it up. He had an easy td pass if the receiver didn’t have to come back. 

He threw the ball high 45 yards down the field. I think we can forgive the ball placement here.

Some other flash throws:

3 hours ago, scar988 said:

I mean. This was on the touchdown drive that they needed at the beginning of the 4th quarter to bring it within one score. Anyone who acts like he doesn't at least show flashes is kidding themselves. 

This play happened right in front of me. Gross play by Savage.

I'm still high on the ATL offense, but Ridder hasn't looked quite as good as I thought he might. That being said, it's early, and GBs pass rush is legit and that running game is going to open up more opportunities for him throughout the year. Still see them as a good offense and are my favorite to win the NFCS.

Mercedez Benz is a really nice fan experience as well. Would go back.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

This play happened right in front of me. Gross play by Savage.

I'm still high on the ATL offense, but Ridder hasn't looked quite as good as I thought he might. That being said, it's early, and GBs pass rush is legit and that running game is going to open up more opportunities for him throughout the year. Still see them as a good offense and are my favorite to win the NFCS.

Mercedez Benz is a really nice fan experience as well. Would go back.

Was super loud when I was there week one. You live in ATL, dude? And MBS is fantastic. 

6 hours ago, scar988 said:

He still greatly underthrew it. If he throws it another 5 yards Hollins catches it in stride for a TD.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Danger said:

He still greatly underthrew it. If he throws it another 5 yards Hollins catches it in stride for a TD.

He threw it from his own 30 to the 15 of the other side of the field. That's 55 yards in the air. I think we can cut a little bit of slack for the distance there.

18 hours ago, scar988 said:

This is a terrible example of trying to showcase good QB play. It was a trick play that was underthrown by a good margin.

4 minutes ago, scar988 said:

He threw it from his own 30 to the 15 of the other side of the field. That's 55 yards in the air. I think we can cut a little bit of slack for the distance there.

The thing I will give him though is I really do think he could've put more on it given the trajectory of the pass there, or maybe it was just the camera angle. 

I just don't see it with Ridder.  With a guy like Love, even though he is inconsistent as all hell right now, you see some impressive throws sprinkled in here and there.  I don't think there was a single Ridder throw like that yesterday and when trailing late, the guy didn't challenge the end zone at all. What's the point of drafting Pitts and London and giving them zero opportunities to make plays? Wasted a pretty good performance by their defense, too.  

• Like 1