Who goes higher/lower than anticipated?

SmittyBacall

This is always a fun exercise to do a few weeks before the draft.

Who goes higher than they are commonly mocked, and who goes lower?

Higher than anticipated:

Nolan Smith - Wouldn’t surprise me to see him go as high as 10 to Philadelphia. 

Darnell Wright - I have heard numerous sources that he will go top 15 and has an outside chance to be the first OL taken. 

Bijan Robinson - Positional value aside, I think he goes in and around the top 12 and not in the 20s as is commonly mocked. 

Lower than anticipated:

Will Levis - I just don’t see it with him, and don’t think he goes top 10.

Myles Murphy - Closer to pick 30 than pick 10, IMO. Just a hunch.

Yeah, nice idea @SmittyBacall. This happens every single draft. Cole Strange, Nakobe Dean, Arazia third punter taken...etc

Higher than anticipated:

Keion White - Athletic big man with scheme versatility

Ricky Stromberg - didn’t allow a single sack in 398 snaps in pass pro

Israel Abanikanda - freak, and people always expect RBs to fall now. 

Lower than anticipated:

Dalton Kincaid - So many of us have him as the best TE. I think he's a mid second round pick. 

Jack Campbell - See it every year. "Intelligent" linebackers drop 

Bryan Bresee - Seen him mocked in top 15. I think he'll be picked 2nd round

Drew Sanders - Mocked too high. Has too many limitations

Higher:

Darnell Washington. I think he goes R1 and is the 1st TE off of the board.

Lower:

I think Levis goes into free-fall mode. We've actually seen the last few years teams start to get mid to low tier veterans to "not tank, but tanking wouldn't be bad" instead of over-drafting a QB in R1, and I think that continues this year

• Like 1

Higher

• Clayton Tune
  • Israel Abanikanda
  • Rashee Rice
  • AT Perry
  • Luke Schoonmaker
  • Darnell Wright
  • Tyler Steen
  • Luke Wypler
  • Keeanu Benton
  • Zacch Pickens
  • Moro Ojomo
  • Isaiah Foskey
  • Jack Campbell
  • Deonte Banks
  • Julius Brents
  • Darius Rush
  • Ronnie Hickman

Lower

• Will Levis
  • Zach Charbonet
  • Jordan Addison
  • Quentin Johnston
  • Tucker Kraft
  • Broderick Jones
  • Dawand Jones
  • Bryan Breese
  • Siaka Ika
  • Myles Murphy
  • BJ Ojulari
  • Trenton Simpson
  • Kelee Ringo
  • Clark Phllips
  • Brian Branch

16 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Really, eh? I think he's the classic combine warrior that goes middle of 2nd (a la DK Metcalf).

Perhaps so. I personally also like his tape. I don't think he's "JUST" a combine warrior, I think he's got really solid tape to match. He's a very high floor TE2 run blocker with a virtually limitless untapped ceiling. Worst case scenario he's a 6th OL/3rd OT who is an eligible safety valve that will create personnel mismatches.

JMHO

The receivers are all going lower than some people expect. It's not a good class and yet there's still four (JSN, Addison, Johnson, Flowers) routinely being mocked in the 1st. JSN will be the only one selected in the 1st, and maybe one more. I'm saying no more than two received tops 

14 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Meyer sticks out for me. Meh athlete at a position where elite traits matter to be a top end player (and anything less isn't worth a first). I think he falls to day 2.

A 1st round TE never returns the value. You have to go all the way back to Greg Olsen to find one that did, and he didn't flourish until getting into Carolina. Hockenson is on his way, but I want to see a repeat in Minnesota before believing into it. None of these TEs should be going in the 1st; TEs never should if I'm being honest

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

A 1st round TE never returns the value. You have to go all the way back to Greg Olsen to find one that did, and he didn't flourish until getting into Carolina. Hockenson is on his way, but I want to see a repeat in Minnesota before believing into it. None of these TEs should be going in the 1st; TEs never should if I'm being honest

I wouldn't say never. I was fine with Pitts or a healthy Gronk but like runningback you need above average-elite traits+elite production (ala Bijan) for me to want to go there.