2023 NFL Draft thread

paul-mac

Denver must really believe in Moss.  This team lacks drafts picks over the next couple years and gave up a future 3rd to move up and get him.

I am interested in if they view him as a CB or Safety.  Both are needs.  I have not seen any highlights where he’s played safety.  Everything I’ve seen he’s an outside CB.  

We traded up? Up?

For a WR? A WR from Oklahoma?

Wow. Glad I’ve checked out in this draft. I guess I never really checked in.

After following this team so closely for so long I’m having such a hard time getting excited about them or anything they’re doing. I’m not a fair weather fan by any stretch you all none that. But this whole franchise has got to earn back my trust before I get disappointed again. 

I don’t think any of the picks tonight are bad per se, but it’s definitely an odd draft. Then again, we need talent wherever we can find it. 

Mims is a good player. He’s better than Hamler was when we drafted him. I think this spells the end for Hamler and Washington. He’s fast, and he offers something no one else on this team has and I think if you want to compete in our division you need that. 

Sanders is an interesting pick. He is extremely talented. I’m not sure he contributes Year 1 much but honestly they might view him as an ILB/OLB hybrid. Almost like Micah Parsons lite. He’s had success rushing the passer and is fast as hell. Jewell is definitely gone. 

Riley Moss is a wild pick. I live in and watch a ton of B1G football. He’s a very solid player. I’m just not sure where he plays. But Denver clearly has a plan for him given the trade up. My guess is he’s a big nickel type player who floats between CB and S.

I would’ve liked to see a center and a DL selected but I also understand we have wayyyy more gaps than we care to admit. These guys fit a specific need which, given the draft class, means we have a plan for their usage.

I don’t love giving up next years 3rd but it is what it is. I’m feeling somewhat encouraged in a weird way. Hope I’m right. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I don’t think any of the picks tonight are bad per se, but it’s definitely an odd draft. Then again, we need talent wherever we can find it. 

Mims is a good player. He’s better than Hamler was when we drafted him. I think this spells the end for Hamler and Washington. He’s fast, and he offers something no one else on this team has and I think if you want to compete in our division you need that. 

Sanders is an interesting pick. He is extremely talented. I’m not sure he contributes Year 1 much but honestly they might view him as an ILB/OLB hybrid. Almost like Micah Parsons lite. He’s had success rushing the passer and is fast as hell. Jewell is definitely gone. 

Riley Moss is a wild pick. I live in and watch a ton of B1G football. He’s a very solid player. I’m just not sure where he plays. But Denver clearly has a plan for him given the trade up. My guess is he’s a big nickel type player who floats between CB and S.

I would’ve liked to see a center and a DL selected but I also understand we have wayyyy more gaps than we care to admit. These guys fit a specific need which, given the draft class, means we have a plan for their usage.

I don’t love giving up next years 3rd but it is what it is. I’m feeling somewhat encouraged in a weird way. Hope I’m right. 

Agreed with it being odd.  The oddest part for me is the trade ups.  I think Denver filled needs with each pick, but a team that has traded away 2-2 1/2 drafts trading up twice was interesting.

I know nothing of these prospects from what I’ve read and highlights after they were picked so I don’t have a strong opinion of them.  Will say I am not against any of them.

Denver needed depth at WR and speed offensively, Mims provides both. 

Sanders is a versatile defender and from what I’ve read is a steal.  Many had him as the top ILB in the draft.  Based off his highlights I think he stays as an ILB but he actually reminds me a lot of Baron Browning athletically.  

Riley Moss is probably the most interesting pick of the night and that’s because of what Denver gave up to go get him.  Based off of highlights (again haven’t watched any of these guys, didn’t even know who Moss was) I don’t see any reason you attempt to move him to safety.  He’s been a boundary CB in every highlight I’ve seen and his measurables match.  Not saying Denver doesn’t try to move him, but that’s a risky move. 

I had read something that the Saints under Payton operated, maybe more so than other teams, in that prospects had to meet a physical threshold to be considered. All 3 drafts picks tonight are physically very gifted, arguably drafted later in this draft than their measurables would’ve indicated.  You have that philosophy when you believe you can get the most out of your talent.  Let’s see what Payton can do. 

I’m sure Marvin Mims will be a good player, but he’ll be our 5th WR. It’s one position we are absolutely stacked at.

The Sanders pick I can get on board with. Not sure LB would have been a priority for me but he was a borderline first round grade at the top of the third so you can’t turn your nose up at that kind of value.

Riley Moss is a highly rated player who fills a need but I hate giving away next year’s third in a supposedly better draft class when we already traded away our second rounder as well. 

Honestly it’s a McDaniels level trainwreck and it absolutely strikes me as a Sean Payton draft rather than a George Paton draft which worries me that Paton’s voice is being marginalised. 

Most of all I am absolutely STUNNED that the trenches on both sides of the ball have been ignored. 

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I’m sure Marvin Mims will be a good player, but he’ll be our 5th WR. It’s one position we are absolutely stacked at.

The Sanders pick I can get on board with. Not sure LB would have been a priority for me but he was a borderline first round grade at the top of the third so you can’t turn your nose up at that kind of value.

Riley Moss is a highly rated player who fills a need but I hate giving away next year’s third in a supposedly better draft class when we already traded away our second rounder as well. 

Honestly it’s a McDaniels level trainwreck and it absolutely strikes me as a Sean Payton draft rather than a George Paton draft which worries me that Paton’s voice is being marginalised. 

Most of all I am absolutely STUNNED that the trenches on both sides of the ball have been ignored. 

The Mims pick is interesting because we have WR depth but none of those guys have his skill set. We all have to realize that Sutton or Jeudy is gone next year. Hamler hasn’t worked out. Mims is a significantly more reliable player than Hamler was. 

I think Mims ends up with a semi decent role later in the season. His skill set is one Russ needs to thrive. 

• Like 1

Clearly the Broncos are not reaching for needs, it seems like they are simply going out and getting the best athletes, all three of these guys are fast.  I am fine with this strategy.  I bet the needs get addressed with the remaining FAs out there, and I suspect one of the WRs gets traded. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

This isn't meant to single you out so please don't take it that way, but I think we often get caught up in the "now" of things.  Some moves are immediate impact type of moves.  Some are more long term.  Mims seems like a little bit of both.  He comes in as a #4 (with Hamler's injury and lack of production concerns, there's no way he's locked in as 4), but we moved capital to go up and get him so I would think they expect immediate dividends.  Do we even pick up Jeudy's 5th year option?  Does he get moved like Chubb did at the deadline and add to next year's draft capital?  I suppose it has a lot to do with how the season plays out.

31 minutes ago, 3Amigos_FOREVER said:

This isn't meant to single you out so please don't take it that way, but I think we often get caught up in the "now" of things.  Some moves are immediate impact type of moves.  Some are more long term.  Mims seems like a little bit of both.  He comes in as a #4 (with Hamler's injury and lack of production concerns, there's no way he's locked in as 4), but we moved capital to go up and get him so I would think they expect immediate dividends.  Do we even pick up Jeudy's 5th year option?  Does he get moved like Chubb did at the deadline and add to next year's draft capital?  I suppose it has a lot to do with how the season plays out.

I think we pick it up and it's more likely we trade Sutton because he can't separate 

47 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I think we pick it up and it's more likely we trade Sutton because he can't separate 

Sutton will not be on this team past this season (if he even lasts the season). It's clear Payton views he and TP as redundant. They are both about to cost much more money. Mims isn't here to replace those guys though. He's here to replace Hamler and all the back end fodder we have that isn't NFL caliber (or fringe NFL caliber).

Jeudy is a big TBD. We should probably pick up the option, but if we don't I would understand. 

I recall the Broncos using some of their 30 interviews with some of the anticipated UDFA Olinemen like Jake Witt. Perhaps that's part of the reason they're prioritizing some unexpected positions and trying to fill up with playmakers in this draft.