2023 NFL Draft thread

paul-mac

Definitely quite a few surprises. I think this draft is pretty weak up top which is why there isn't as much consensus. Not the worst year not to have a 1st round pick. 

For giggles, who would you have taken if we still had the pick? 

Edited by grizmo78
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Definitely quite a few surprises. I think this draft is pretty weak up top which is why there isn't as much consensus. Not the worst year not to have a 1st round pick. 

Probably Jalen Carter. 

It makes me sad that year on year I know less and less about draft prospects. After all, the reason I joined this forum was for draft discussion!

I don't think I knew a name of a player taken outside of the top 10. Welcome to middle age .... Obviously the fact we don't have a pick in the first 2 rounds is a factor.

Very much relying on you guys to tell me whether our picks are any good or not.

• Like 3

I have no idea what Detroit was doing last night lol. I'm not going to comment on the "draft grade" per se, but they drafted two devalued positions, and almost certainly could've gotten one of those two players later in the draft. I think it's a virtual certainty they could've taken Gibbs at 18. Besides that, I'm struggling to see the logic in adding another RB to that room, but I digress.

Anyway, Klis is out with an article this AM, and it seems abundantly clear the targets for the draft are OC, CB, Safety, and TE.

I am expecting an OC with the first pick, especially because none have gone so far. Tight end also seems a real possibility. I don't think Payton likes Dulcich whatsoever.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I have no idea what Detroit was doing last night lol. I'm not going to comment on the "draft grade" per se, but they drafted two devalued positions, and almost certainly could've gotten one of those two players later in the draft. I think it's a virtual certainty they could've taken Gibbs at 18. Besides that, I'm struggling to see the logic in adding another RB to that room, but I digress.

Anyway, Klis is out with an article this AM, and it seems abundantly clear the targets for the draft are OC, CB, Safety, and TE.

I am expecting an OC with the first pick, especially because none have gone so far. Tight end also seems a real possibility. I don't think Payton likes Dulcich whatsoever.

This is so weird to me. Dulcich was probably in the top 3 players on our offense last season, as a rookie, in a position where rookies tend to struggle.

Dont really get safety either. Simmons is a superstar then you’ve got Caden Sterns who’s shown some promise and some other depth guys.

It’s a big gamble to ignore the front seven unless Payton really feels like some of the 2021/2022 draft picks will come good. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

This is so weird to me. Dulcich was probably in the top 3 players on our offense last season, as a rookie, in a position where rookies tend to struggle.

Dont really get safety either. Simmons is a superstar then you’ve got Caden Sterns who’s shown some promise and some other depth guys.

It’s a big gamble to ignore the front seven unless Payton really feels like some of the 2021/2022 draft picks will come good. 

Completely agree with you. I don't mind if we draft someone like Musgrove because I think he will be a very good player. I guess if you think Dulcich will never be a good blocker, but he's absolutely a weapon offensively from a receiving standpoint. It seems redundant though.

I definitely don't understand safety. On one hand, Klis was saying we want to bring Kareem back for another year, but then there's talk of drafting a safety early. I thought Sterns was good in the time he's played. Feels redundant again.

Personally, I also think CB is a weird choice. Mathis, outside of that first game, was quite good. Williams is locked in at slot. Bassey for depth. Can probably sign one other veteran player at some point. Unless we really think Mathis is that bad, why spend an early pick here? Just seems strange to me.

8 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Which pick? And are we assuming we didn’t make the trades so we don’t have Russ and or Payton?

Either way I’m bored so…

Pick 5: (with or without Russ, because this is a weak QB class and I don’t think any of those QBs are worth a top 5 pick) Jalen Carter or Peter Skoronski. Line prospects with HOF potential and college production to back it up. 

Pick 29: (with Sean Payton): I’d be really tempted to take Levis. Payton knows how to develop QBs and build a system around them. Russ has at least  1 maybe up to 3 years left which would allow Levis to develop. Would be an ideal situation for the kid. 

(Without Payton): trade back and pick up additional mid round picks. If not available, Nolan Smith or Michael Mayer were the only ones with a 1st round grade in most years that were left, so one of them.

43 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Which pick? And are we assuming we didn’t make the trades so we don’t have Russ and or Payton?

Either way I’m bored so…

Pick 5: (with or without Russ, because this is a weak QB class and I don’t think any of those QBs are worth a top 5 pick) Jalen Carter or Peter Skoronski. Line prospects with HOF potential and college production to back it up. 

Pick 29: (with Sean Payton): I’d be really tempted to take Levis. Payton knows how to develop QBs and build a system around them. Russ has at least  1 maybe up to 3 years left which would allow Levis to develop. Would be an ideal situation for the kid. 

(Without Payton): trade back and pick up additional mid round picks. If not available, Nolan Smith or Michael Mayer were the only ones with a 1st round grade in most years that were left, so one of them.

I was actually saying to a buddy last night that I'm kind of glad we didn't have 5 based on the way the board fell. Jalen Carter would have been my pick knowing what we know now. I would have also said Paris Johnson.

At 29, I would trade back. If I was absolutely forced into making a pick, I would likely have taken Joey Porter Jr. or  Mayer. I don't love a lot of the guys who are still on the board. 

I don't think Sterns has done enough to stop us to going Safety if one is there that we have a high grade on. Not to mention, backup Safeties are often high value Special Teams players, which Sterns has not been.

You can't really draft for need any later than the top of the 3rd anyway, so don't get disheartened if we don't pick the positions we all think we need.

Just draft really good football players, regardless of position. Easy!

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Either way I’m bored so…

Hm... Yeah. We did have two different picks huh, haha. We had that 29 pick for such a short amount of time I kind of forgot about it. I meant pick 5 in the original post but why not both?

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Re the bold.  I have mentioned countless times that I live across the river from Detroit so I root and go to many of all their games.  Jameson Williams messed with their heads and I am so disappointed with that idiot.  Last weekend after being suspended for gambling he is in Vegas at the fight.  Cmon man.  Apologized for his suspension via his agent too.  I'd consider trading the idiot and send a message to the locker room.  New culture in Detroit - my ***!  But I figured they were setting up for Bijan but apparently were going to take Gibbs over him and at six.  I actually called the gibbs pick :)   Mike Robb was just analyzing the pick and said he can actually line up at wr and be productive.  I just don't get though that when you are on another page why you don't adjust meaning trade back and wait but I guess you might think someone else thinks the way you do.  I kept telling friends when they were resigning all their defensive guys like Analozone (whatever his name is) why are they signing all these retreads.  They act like this defense is good.  It got better as the season went on but imo passing up on Carter and Kancey was huge.  I loved those mocks most of all - when Detroit got both those players.  Have to think rb swift is up for grabs now.  Love him but to injury prone for me.  wonder if they tempt us but I am hoping if they do we say no

Back to us - hopefully not the woeful lions of the future that I have followed for 40 fn years - have you guys seen Chad Reuters 7 round mock.  I liked how it fell for us but have no idea how things unfold from here.  Have to nail it don't we................

Edited by anewdawn
additional comment

1 hour ago, anewdawn said:

Re the bold.  I have mentioned countless times that I live across the river from Detroit so I root and go to many of all their games.  Jameson Williams messed with their heads and I am so disappointed with that idiot.  Last weekend after being suspended for gambling he is in Vegas at the fight.  Cmon man.  Apologized for his suspension via his agent too.  I'd consider trading the idiot and send a message to the locker room.  New culture in Detroit - my ***!  But I figured they were setting up for Bijan but apparently were going to take Gibbs over him and at six.  I actually called the gibbs pick :)   Mike Robb was just analyzing the pick and said he can actually line up at wr and be productive.  I just don't get though that when you are on another page why you don't adjust meaning trade back and wait but I guess you might think someone else thinks the way you do.  I kept telling friends when they were resigning all their defensive guys like Analozone (whatever his name is) why are they signing all these retreads.  They act like this defense is good.  It got better as the season went on but imo passing up on Carter and Kancey was huge.  I loved those mocks most of all - when Detroit got both those players.  Have to think rb swift is up for grabs now.  Love him but to injury prone for me.  wonder if they tempt us but I am hoping if they do we say no

Back to us - hopefully not the woeful lions of the future that I have followed for 40 fn years - have you guys seen Chad Reuters 7 round mock.  I liked how it fell for us but have no idea how things unfold from here.  Have to nail it don't we................

Detroit is signing players based on vibes lol. Just redundancies everywhere. I wouldn't mind Swift for the right price, but he's too fragile to trust.

The Reuter draft isn't bad. Brents and Achane would be nice. But I'd love to see us come away with a good center prospect. At least one starter somewhere would be great given our starting position.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Detroit is signing players based on vibes lol. Just redundancies everywhere. I wouldn't mind Swift for the right price, but he's too fragile to trust.

The Reuter draft isn't bad. Brents and Achane would be nice. But I'd love to see us come away with a good center prospect. At least one starter somewhere would be great given our starting position.

I mean I would rather have them just sign Kareem Hunt for dirt cheap. Hes only 27 and has plenty of juice left in the tank and we all know how much Payton loves his pass catching RBs.

As far as the draft. I really like Clark Phillips from Utah. He was a 5* prospect and OSU commit who transferred because the Buckeyes DC left to take Boston College job. He looked really good for the past 2 years and is very intelligent with good size. He almost reminds me of the same maturity of Surtain.

Outside of CB, I need every other pick to be OL and DL lol

Edited by AkronsWitness