2023 NFL Draft thread

paul-mac

2 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Is Forsythe a better prospect than the kid we picked last year?

Not sure how good a ballplayer he is but he's at least got NFL size and strength.  Wattenburg didn't/doesn't. 

@broncos_fan _from _uk gave him a good review. At least if he can develop he's got the physical skills required.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Still blows my mind that Risner is still on the street. He's not terrible and is certainly better than plenty of other teams guards out there but I wonder if it has to do with getting in fights on the sidelines with teammates. Nobody wants that baggage 

Risner has never been able to hold his own against power, never. He gets put on skates way too often for a LG. Just my opinion.

8 hours ago, germ-x said:

Not to be a downer because I am part of the problem as well, but these draft weekend threads used to be 20-40 pages deep.  People get busy (my problem) and being in education there isn’t a lot of interest in football or sustained thought in the upcoming generations. 

Aside from that. I like this draft.  Don’t know how much I like giving up picks to love up but for the most part I like the players and all filled needs.  Mims isn’t a #1 maybe not even a #2 but if he’s healthy he’s a good player.  I think Sanders and Moss have the potential to be steals where selected.  Late rounds they went with upside, I’ll never fault that. 

I think just not having any picks in the first two rounds really killed interest for me. If we’d hired a different coach and kept the 29th pick I think we’d have had a lot more posts in here over the weekend. 

• Like 1

I’m satisfied with the draft overall. This isn’t a bad roster but it obviously lacked coaching and some impact talent. I don’t think you can expect to find that when you don’t pick until R3, but I do think the guys we took have pathways to immediate, meaningful contribution. 

Also worth noting a lot of these guys will be ST contributors immediately which is important when you are as awful in that facet of the game as we have been. 

• Like 1

This looks like a pure BPA draft to me. They'd just took the guy that had fallen furthest on their board, regardless of position. I don't really mind the trading up a few times. If a guy you like has already dropped 20-30+ spots from where you rated him trade up and get him.  He won't fall much further and is already great value. Think of all the times you've seen a great player fall almost to our pick, then get snatched up a spot before us and go on  to become a probowler.

Looks like we've got some players that could be major contributors in 2-3 years.

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

anyone know anything about our udfa class figured it may be good due to lack of draft picks.

Per PFN:

Alex Palczewski, OL, Illinois

Art Green, CB, Houston

Dallas Daniels, WR, Jackson State

Devon Matthews, S, Indiana

Emanuel Wilson, RB, Fort Valley State

Kris Leach, TE, Kent State

Nate Adkins, TE, South Carolina

Thomas Incoom, EDGE, Central Michigan

Darrious Gaines, CB, Western Colorado

Henry Byrd, OL, Princeton

Taylor Grimes, WR, Incarnate Word

Seth Benson, LB, Iowa

P.J. Mustipher, DT, Penn State

Daniels was the standout of the shrine bowl and Mustipher is the former #6 DT is HS as a recruit and a 4 year starter and team captain who has all of the measurables but lacks production. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

This looks like a pure BPA draft to me. They'd just took the guy that had fallen furthest on their board, regardless of position. I don't rally mind the trading up a few times. If a guy you like has already dropped 20-30+ spots from where you rated him trade up and get him.  He won't fall much further and is already great value. Think of all the times you've seen a great player fall almost to our pick, then get snatched up a spot before us and go on  to become a probowler.

Looks like we've got some players that could be major contributors in 2-3 years.

I agree Akrna.  I like the players we got.  Just wanted that dl front improved though.   PS as most here know I live across the river from Detroit and love all their teams.  Lions are #2 of course but when I look at the players they drafted I think wow what an awesome draft.  I think this year the analysts were way off.  They spend all that time evaluating and doing their mocks and talking about it all for 2 fn months only to be very wrong about it all.  And really they might not even be wrong as time will be the teller so to speak but a lot of teams boards were very different.  Maybe more and more teams are going to the Seattle mode - take who you like and f what every one else thinks.  Ps the hawks must light up when they get a call from us, lmao.  Time to fleece the broncos again ...............  

47 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

I agree Akrna.  I like the players we got.  Just wanted that dl front improved though.   PS as most here know I live across the river from Detroit and love all their teams.  Lions are #2 of course but when I look at the players they drafted I think wow what an awesome draft.  I think this year the analysts were way off.  They spend all that time evaluating and doing their mocks and talking about it all for 2 fn months only to be very wrong about it all.  And really they might not even be wrong as time will be the teller so to speak but a lot of teams boards were very different.  Maybe more and more teams are going to the Seattle mode - take who you like and f what every one else thinks.  Ps the hawks must light up when they get a call from us, lmao.  Time to fleece the broncos again ...............  

Great laugh for a Sunday morning! I had that same thought.

Do Paton and Carroll have a history? Anyway, too funny. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AKRNA said:

This looks like a pure BPA draft to me. They'd just took the guy that had fallen furthest on their board, regardless of position. I don't really mind the trading up a few times. If a guy you like has already dropped 20-30+ spots from where you rated him trade up and get him.  He won't fall much further and is already great value. Think of all the times you've seen a great player fall almost to our pick, then get snatched up a spot before us and go on  to become a probowler.

I got that same feeling too. I just can't for the life of my figure out why the Broncos are so allergic to drafting/developing OL talent. That's my only complaint with the draft. I understand we got Powers and McGlitchey but we are still poor with OL depth and Center is still a big question.

Knowing that they are 1 injury away on the OL from being back in shambles is unsettling. It would have just been nice to pick up 1 middle round depth pieces to develop.

To a lesser extent, not addressing IDL in any way was another head scratcher. I'll chalk that up to not having many picks.

Outside of that they got some fun guys. The LB they got from Arkansas looks like he has a very similar archetype to Baron Browning. Which is cool. The Safety from Boise looks fun with his hitting and could be a nice guy to have if things happen with Sterns. Dont really understand the WR pick at all unless they are 100% planning on trading Sutton.

Either way, whatever nobody knows.

Edited by AkronsWitness

^^^I don't think it's necessarily about trading Sutton, I think it's letting KJ Hamler and Montrell Washington go.  Mimms can do what both of those can do, and let's face it, Russ' best ball is his deep ball so he needs a Mimms to launch too.  Alas, would it make sense for the Broncos to trade Sutton to someone who can offer a good player (a center) and a draft pick? 

I think the lack of interest was with starting Rd3, not hard to see why ppl didn't have interest.   I was away working, and it didn't even occur me to try and change it.

Overall, I don't have a problem with the guys taken - but I just can't get behind moving up when we had such little draft capital to begin with.   

LOVE the Sanders pick, and if it doesn't cost anything to move up, no problem with Marvin Mims.     But I do think guys like Josh Downs (who I took in the GM game) were fine to wait for too.   Jeudy is going to be the X, so a slot WR is easier to find.      That alone keeps our Rd4-5 draft capital where we could have addressed DL and RB (yes, I did list them in the GM game).   Even if the picks in Rd4-5 don't work out - the issue is we can't use FA to fill every hole, you need to find some cheap draft talent to build up the roster.   

Overall, though, I did like Paton's direction - get tools / talent, high-ceiling guys.    That's how you hit home runs.   Singles only get you so far - and you only need to hit 2-3 out of 10 to be an org changer (Browning as exhibit A, and as long as he's healthy, Sterns exhibit B).    Fingers crossed.

Edited by Broncofan