2023 NFL Draft thread

paul-mac

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Overall, though, I did like Payton's direction - get tools / talent, high-ceiling guys.    That's how you hit home runs.   Singles only get you so far - and you only need to hit 2-3 out of 10 to be an org changer (Browning as exhibit A, and as long as he's healthy, Sterns exhibit B).    Fingers crossed.

Fixed it for you.

What I did find really funny was in Payton's post-draft presser, he said something like, "George (Paton) likes to save and I like to spend, so it's a really good mix" ...

... We did basically no trading back (i.e saving), and did a ton of "spending". I think we all know who is running the ship now, and if I am honest, it makes me nervous.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

What I did find really funny was in Payton's post-draft presser, he said something like, "George (Paton) likes to save and I like to spend, so it's a really good mix" ...

... We did basically no trading back (i.e saving), and did a ton of "spending". I think we all know who is running the ship now, and if I am honest, it makes me nervous.

That's definitely how it seemed in the press conference. Paton's affect and responses were night and day different this year than last year. Sean Payton answered most of the questions and George Paton usually deferred to him. And agreed, makes me nervous we're going to be the Saints in a few years. I hate trading future picks, especially when we're so depleted already. 

11 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I don't think there's any doubt about who's calling the shots. Personally I'm fine with it. George, while running the show, has made some franchise changing horrendous decisions.

It's time he did only what he was hired to do, IE: the draft. Sean was hired to rebuild the team. He'll get at least four years to do it and IMO it'll take all of that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

George, while running the show, has made some franchise changing horrendous decisions.

Would would those 'horrendous' decision be ?

Trading for Wilson? - any GM in the league who needed a QB would have jumped at the deal.

Giving Wilson an extension ? - that was part of the deal. Wilson would not have agreed a trade without the Broncos agreeing an extension - and the Walmsrts were the people who signed off on that.

The one bad decision that Paton made was hiring Hackett (who Rodgers liked because he played darts with him). However, every GM f*cks-up at least one HC hire.

Now the reality is that Paton has been stripped of power by the Walmarts - because they want to stick their noses into things (which is a lot worse in my opinion) - and Payton clearly demanded control over swathes of the franchise before becoming HC. You suggest that Paton's job is now the draft - but it was clear from last weekend that Payton was calling the shots. Now - if Payton made the decisions on the trades but the picks were made by Paton then fair enough - Paton has been good in the draft - but I doubt that was the case.

50 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Trading for Wilson? - any GM in the league who needed a QB would have jumped at the deal.

Giving Wilson an extension ? - that was part of the deal. Wilson would not have agreed a trade without the Broncos agreeing an extension - and the Walmsrts were the people who signed off on that.

The one bad decision that Paton made was hiring Hackett (who Rodgers liked because he played darts with him). However, every GM f*cks-up at least one HC hire.

Now the reality is that Paton has been stripped of power by the Walmarts - because they want to stick their noses into things (which is a lot worse in my opinion) - and Payton clearly demanded control over swathes of the franchise before becoming HC. You suggest that Paton's job is now the draft - but it was clear from last weekend that Payton was calling the shots. Now - if Payton made the decisions on the trades but the picks were made by Paton then fair enough - Paton has been good in the draft - but I doubt that was the case.

FWIW Payton clearly yields a lot of power, but even in his NO days - he let GM Mickey Loomis make the draft choices personnel-wise, the priorities were Payton's domain, but the actual player evals were Loomis & the scouting department's.    It's hard to imagine it's any different here, especially given Paton's draft success.

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I keep hearing that and it's absolutely not true. A huge portion of coaches and GM's adhere to the philosophy that a QB has to be able to win from the pocket to succeed. 

Wilson is a well below average pocket passer, always has been. He'd already taken more hits than most QB's do in their careers and showed definite signs of slowing down. Outside of Paton, I didn't see anyone else offering much if anything, (let alone 2-1sts and 2nds) for his services. Historically it will go down as one of the worst trades in NFL history if not the worst.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I keep hearing that and it's absolutely not true. A huge portion of coaches and GM's adhere to the philosophy that a QB has to be able to win from the pocket to succeed. 

Wilson is a well below average pocket passer, always has been. He'd already taken more hits than most QB's do in their careers and showed definite signs of slowing down. Outside of Paton, I didn't see anyone else offering much if anything, (let alone 2-1sts and 2nds) for his services. Historically it will go down as one of the worst trades in NFL history if not the worst.

Washington and the Eagles both pursued Russ and it’s known Washington offered three 1sts. The issue wasn’t compensation but the no trade clause. Russ was going to pick his spot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Washington and the Eagles both pursued Russ and it’s known Washington offered three 1sts. The issue wasn’t compensation but the no trade clause. Russ was going to pick his spot.

Regardless of rumor and who offered what it was obviously a terrible trade, maybe the worst ever.  The proof is in the pudding. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 2:16 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Agreed.  I still can’t get over how he sold out in NO then instead of taking the heat and getting fired ducked it all.  He’s just a bad dude.  Not saying he can’t coach or doesn’t have some evaluative strengths, but that’s just shady as hell.

George Paton got the lead for this organization and traded 2 drafts and hired Hackett.  Both the biggest moves/hires an organization can make and they backfired, but Paton outside of those moves I think has been terrific.  Hopefully he’s evaluative abilities still carry a ton of weight with Payton.

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, germ-x said:

Agreed.  I still can’t get over how he sold out in NO then instead of taking the heat and getting fired ducked it all.  He’s just a bad dude.  Not saying he can’t coach or doesn’t have some evaluative strengths, but that’s just shady as hell.

George Paton got the lead for this organization and traded 2 drafts and hired Hackett.  Both the biggest moves/hires an organization can make and they backfired, but Paton outside of those moves I think has been terrific.  Hopefully he’s evaluative abilities still carry a ton of weight with Payton.

That's like saying that outside of one iceberg the Captain of the Titanic did a great job.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 7:21 PM, thebestever6 said:

Apparently, Sanders is the talk of rookie mini camp he's all over the field and looks every bit the steal.

I expect he'll end up the best pick of the draft for us. I'm not sure why he lasted as long as he did but he's clearly supremely talented.

• Like 2