🔥 Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

19 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Have you seen anything like this before from a dlineman esp a top 10 one?

buddy has shown nothing so far only positive is he will never get called offsides

He's also coming off a pretty bad foot injury with no training camp. If he was supposed to be a polished guy and was healthy, I'd be more critical too

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

You just don’t sit top 10 de’s tho lol. He just not ready. looking like leatherwood 2.0. Getting majority of de snaps and has what 1 tackles in 2 games. 

I’ve honestly never seen anything like this before and I’d like to say I’ve seen a lot. He doesn’t even require a double team

Well, whether you do or not, we should as he’s simply not ready yet!

He’d have a role as a rotational player but if I were coaching I wouldn’t have him starting right now. I thought he was always intended to be a third or fourth option to start his career behind Jones and Crosby so that’s what he should be whilst he learns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

You doubling down on be happy we spent a # 7 on defense all off-season. Defense needs help now not in 2-3 years

Defense needs help now and 2-3 years from now. 

They were not winning a Super Bowl this season, so having a pro ready player didn't really matter either way. If he develops into the player some projected, his 2023 season will be moot. 

Judge this pick in year 2. And FWIW, I didn't want Wilson. I wanted Carter, understanding the why and either of Spoon/Gonzo.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Defense needs help now and 2-3 years from now. 

They were not winning a Super Bowl this season, so having a pro ready player didn't really matter either way. If he develops into the player some projected, his 2023 season will be moot. 

Judge this pick in year 2. And FWIW, I didn't want Wilson. I wanted Carter, understanding the why and either of Spoon/Gonzo.

I wish people would move on from the "should have been Carter" talk, tbh, especially as it relates to whoever we picked (or didn't pick). That's not what you're doing here, just taking the time to mention it in general.

I think every single poster in here recognizes  he was the hands down best player on the board. Me, you, everyone. 

I'm critical of the Tyree Wilson pick myself, but I don't think anyone should be using Carter as Wilson's metric of success or lack thereof. We couldn't take Carter. My same approach of just pretending he was gone before we picked works well enough for me. 

• Like 5

People are allowed to be critical of his play but remain realistic of the situation as well. He does not look good out there at the moment, that is obvious. He doesn't look like a #7 overall pass-rusher to say the least.

But given the reasons echoed above (Injury, missing major time last season, this off season, camp, most of preseason, etc, being raw, etc.), expecting him to be a premiere disruptor early was not realistic. 

We should have all expected this to some extent. I for one am just happy he's apparently fully healthy and playing this year. There was major concern from some outlets he'd be redshirted his rookie year. Now THAT would truly set his progression back x10.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

People are allowed to be critical of his play but remain realistic of the situation as well. He does not look good out there at the moment, that is obvious. He doesn't look like a #7 overall pass-rusher to say the least.

But given the reasons echoed above (Injury, missing major time last season, this off season, camp, most of preseason, etc, being raw, etc.), expecting him to be a premiere disruptor early was not realistic. 

We should have all expected this to some extent. I for one am just happy he's apparently fully healthy and playing this year. There was major concern from some outlets he'd be redshirted his rookie year. Now THAT would truly set his progression back x10.

I just hope he flashes at some point this year. Does he have the technique to go with that frame. I hope so 

I'm trying not to be too critical of the guy.  It's not his fault where he was picked and the immediate needs of this team.  I am disappointed that he's not what we need right this moment though.  

He wasn't on my radar as the pick though.  Carter was the top talent, but I understood the Raiders not willing to take that risk so I moved onto Gonzo as my choice.  DE wasn't a need in my book and Wilson or any other DE didn't stand out as a can't miss BPA either.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, true2form said:

I'm trying not to be too critical of the guy.  It's not his fault where he was picked and the immediate needs of this team.  I am disappointed that he's not what we need right this moment though.  

He wasn't on my radar as the pick though.  Carter was the top talent, but I understood the Raiders not willing to take that risk so I moved onto Gonzo as my choice.  DE wasn't a need in my book and Wilson or any other DE didn't stand out as a can't miss BPA either.  

This was me all the way as well.  Wasn't even looking at the DEs on the board.  I didn't really know who we would pick because our new regime is hard to predict.  I legit wouldn't have been surprised if we took a WR in the first.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, true2form said:

It’s difficult for me because you don’t take dline top 10 to sit and learn. If they didn’t see his weak technique that’s poor scouting. I had higher expectations for this regime honestly 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

It’s difficult for me because you don’t take dline top 10 to sit and learn. If they didn’t see his weak technique that’s poor scouting. I had higher expectations for this regime honestly 

This. 

Wilson is the guy you take a stab at on Day 2 to see of you catch a falling star, not a top 10 pick at a position of need. 

If he was being hailed as the next coming of Julius Peppers or Reggie White or something, maybe that's a different story. But he wasn't a guy being hyped up until relatively late in the process, comparative speaking. He just wasn't that guy. 

The fact he was injured was a negative already. The fact he needs a serious amount of work to look like he belongs on the field makes it a bigger negative. The fact that he needs to basically pull a Josh Allen trajectory to really justify his draft spot makes it a huge negative for me. 

Even if he finishes out the year as baseline adequate, that's not what top 10 picks are supposed to do for you. Judging by what I've seen, whatever grand impact people think he may have isn't going to happen until like 2025. In the meantime, we still have the need, and by the tike said need is addressed by Wilson, chances are the staff is different, he's going to be close to getting expensive, and the guy he's supposed to help most (Crosby) is 2 years older and not cheap either.

Oh, and Crosby is only signed through 2026. The goal was to get him some help. If helping him is just going to get punted towards the end of his pricey deal, just trade him and start over with a new cornerstone. If Wilson isn't going to make an immediate impact, it's not worth it. If he's as good as advertised, we're not going to be able to keep them both and field anything else behind them. The goal should have been to build around Crosby and have the bulk of them on rookie deals for most of the time. If everything is a multi-year project, you're wasting your current expensive cornerstone. 

That's what I hated about so many of the picks. They're projects. And by the time they're projected to finally pan out, the dynamics will have changed, and the best players they were supposed to help are either too expensive or untradeable. 

Wilson, for example, finally pans out in, say, 2025. Crosby's last year is 2026. We get 1 or 2 years? Because if we trade Crosby at that point, we wasted time, assuming someone even wants the contract. Otherwise, he probably becomes a FA and then what? 

We're not building a sustained success, we're building up to a 1 or 2 year window and hoping it doesn't go to **** afterwards?  

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

That's what I hated about so many of the picks. They're projects. And by the time they're projected to finally pan out, the dynamics will have changed, and the best players they were supposed to help are either too expensive or untradeable. 

Wilson, for example, finally pans out in, say, 2025. Crosby's last year is 2026. We get 1 or 2 years? Because if we trade Crosby at that point, we wasted time, assuming someone even wants the contract. Otherwise, he probably becomes a FA and then what? 

We're not building a sustained success, we're building up to a 1 or 2 year window and hoping it doesn't go to **** afterwards?  

In isolation this makes sense and I can see the logic, however, I think we need to view it as an ongoing process. By that I mean that Wilson and Young come in this year but Player A and Player B come in next year and then Player C and Player D the year after. Sure, Crosby will have wasted perhaps his prime years but if we draft well (and that is the crux) Player B or Player D is ready to step in and as Wilson is now in his prime. Every year we should, if we draft well, be drafting a potential future pass rusher or supplementing the DLine. 

IMO we should be drafting a pass rusher and DT every single year, they’re just such valuable positions and you can rotate guys in and get value out of them like the Eagles have done.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Completely agree with that.  I'd even say, QB might be the only position I'd be willing to sit and learn for a season.