🔥 Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

Yeah, Ive held out and not commented much on Wilson because I didn’t want to rush to judgment. But i must say, he has been one of the more underwhelming performing rookies i can remember in the last 20 years and that’s definitely saying something with our comically bad draft history.

I didn’t expect him to come in and be an instant contributor or anything especially after him missing the offseason, but he hasnt flashed. Like at all. He looks like a big, uncoordinated novice out there. 

Hes been the DHB version of a defensive end so far. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Yeah, Ive held out and not commented much on Wilson because I didn’t want to rush to judgment. But i must say, he has been one of the more underwhelming performing rookies i can remember in the last 20 years and that’s definitely saying something with our comically bad draft history.

I didn’t expect him to come in and be an instant contributor or anything especially after him missing the offseason, but he hasnt flashed. Like at all. He looks like a big, uncoordinated novice out there. 

Taking him over Carter is basically the DL version of taking Ruggs over CeeDee/Jefferson. 

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I was holding out hope but one play stood out to me today on the chiefs field goal attempt, he didn't even try. Just stood up. I don't think he understands his expectations, I I just don't see the effort and that's a really bad sign.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nodisrespect said:

Ruggs could ball though

Ruggs had like 900 yards in 20 games. 

CeeDee and JJettas are all pro, potentially HOF level players lol Ruggs was nowhere close to that. Dude was our third option behind Waller and Nelson Agholor / Bryan Edwards lol

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Ruggs had like 900 yards in 20 games. 

CeeDee and JJettas are all pro, potentially HOF level players lol Ruggs was nowhere close to that. Dude was our third option behind Waller and Nelson Agholor / Bryan Edwards lol

i was Lamb’s biggest fan and was crushed when we passed on him, but Ruggs was coming on strong at the end.  they’re totally different WRs: Ruggs was a lower volume but big play WR that lends him to be a 2nd option while Lamb is a high volume WR1.  we clearly picked the wrong WR even if we throw the car accident incident out of the conversion but ruggs would have been a big contributor for us.

• Like 3

Im worried but not going to call him a bust just yet, he was almost coming in with a very low floor but a high ceiling.  I’m hoping he comes back like a new man after the off season.  

In interviews he came across a bit timid and lackadaisical. Which concerned me more than lack of technical ability.  

looks like Tarzan plays like Jane at the moment.  Got to get him just using his reach and getting himself back to full power.  Heck, km just hoping he turns out to be a starter level strong End that can rush from the inside. 

• Like 1

Called it a bust on draft day, calling it a bust now. 

Can we stop taking massive projects with first round picks? 

Cle- project

Abram- project 

Mr. Leatherwood- project 

Wilson- project

Mullen- project no matter how much we were told he was "pro ready"

Every single one of them we were told had high ceilings, not a single one of them was the obvious choice, and all were awful picka that remained awful. 

Ruggs was a bit of a project too, needing a good deal of time to translate to the NFL. Admittedly, he was doing so before it all fell apart with him. 

We can look back at all these "high potential" first round picks and point out clear, obvious, available choices one after the next. Dear Lord I hope pur next GM is smart enough to understand that you don't the on massive projects in the first round until your team is loaded and winning. 

The fact we took a raw, injured, Big12 DE needing a ton of work at 7 should have lost that used car salesman his job on the spot. 

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

i was Lamb’s biggest fan and was crushed when we passed on him, but Ruggs was coming on strong at the end.  they’re totally different WRs: Ruggs was a lower volume but big play WR that lends him to be a 2nd option while Lamb is a high volume WR1.  we clearly picked the wrong WR even if we throw the car accident incident out of the conversion but ruggs would have been a big contributor for us.

Ruggs was on pace for like 1,000 yards in his second season, he was legit Will Fuller 2.0. 

They are totally different players, one is an All-Pro level target hog / elite, and the other was a carbon copy of Will Fuller. 

It's like saying Fuller > Hopkins

3 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

Im worried but not going to call him a bust just yet, he was almost coming in with a very low floor but a high ceiling.  I’m hoping he comes back like a new man after the off season.  

In interviews he came across a bit timid and lackadaisical. Which concerned me more than lack of technical ability.  

looks like Tarzan plays like Jane at the moment.  Got to get him just using his reach and getting himself back to full power.  Heck, km just hoping he turns out to be a starter level strong End that can rush from the inside. 

I didn’t wanna comment on how he talks but he seems a lil slow mentally. He’s acknowledges that he sucks in the interviews but never gets better.

Reminds me of the abominable snowman from old skoo Warner bros cartoon. 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

15 hours ago, Trojan said:

imagine moving Tyree inside instead of just taking the best player in the class Jalen Carter

I don’t think it’s a simple either/or situation though. I think we probably avoided Carter due to the red flags. I can understand that.

From a pure talent standpoint Carter is way ahead and always was but it’s not such a simple equation sadly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I don’t think it’s a simple either/or situation though. I think we probably avoided Carter due to the red flags. I can understand that.

From a pure talent standpoint Carter is way ahead and always was but it’s not such a simple equation sadly.

Even if Carter was red flagged he was a 10 prospect. There was two other 10s on board in Christian Gonzalez and Bijan Robinson and we took a injury flagged developmental guy. I can get failling Carter on racing post-Ruggs and I can get passing on Bijan for being a RB. The fallback should have been Christian Gonzalez there then.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Even if Carter was red flagged he was a 10 prospect. There was two other 10s on board in Christian Gonzalez and Bijan Robinson and we took an injury flagged developmental guy. I can get failling Carter on racing post-Ruggs and I can get passing on Bijan for being a RB. The fallback should have been Christian Gonzalez there then.

Oh, I don’t disagree at all. In the Me v Zeigler thread I went with Gonzalez and never considered Wilson with our first pick. I personally wasn’t a fan of Wilson for the obvious reasons he was raw, lacked leverage and bend and had a very slow get off.

I just don’t think as a FO the Raiders would have considered Carter with our first round pick due to the red flags and the obvious correlation with the Ruggs situation. So, I don’t think we chose Wilson instead of Carter as much as Carter was not on our big board with our first pick.

I did mock Carter to us, so I’ve always been a fan of his on field play.

• Like 1