Bears select Darnell Wright - Rd. 1, 10th Overall

beardown3231

So it’s been a little while since the pick now and here is one of the ways you know this was a great pick…Wright is 6-5” 333lbs and from what I can see not one publication or even  amongst us have said “well if he can’t play OT he will make a great G” 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, brownie man said:

Nice pick. Good to see you guys getting Justin some protection. 

Get that O line together it'll be worth it. What other spots on your O line need help? 

Center. It is being filled by Whitehair since Jenkins and Davis are the OGs. He is getting highly overpaid and this is likely his last year of he doesn't take a major pay reduction. 

Jones played well as a rookie so he is going to get every chance to hold onto LT, he really just struggled with power so we will see if he got much stronger in this offseason.  

Might really want to get one more high upside depth guy since Jenkins has seemed injury prone.  Guy is a great talent but needs someone at least competent behind him.  I think Leatherwood would be a solid guard,  I dont see him being a good seeing OT. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

When you heard Ryan Poles press conference you can tell why it wasn't Jalen Carter. The workout they put Wright through was brutal. There's no way Carter was doing that. 

Not only that, but it really just reaffirmed that all of the things Poles and Flus have been saying about what they want in their players is something they actually believe. If you’re worried Carter is going to consistently be on the loaf sheet or lacking in conditioning or making poor decisions outside of team activities then adding him there would have gone against everything you preach. Further, they probably couldn’t add him as the flagship draft choice of this regime as their first 1st rounder and the ultimate initial draft piece landed from having had the #1 overall pick with those concerns.

We talked about not swinging for the fences every pick yesterday in the main day 1 thread. Drafting Carter would’ve been a swing from the heels trying to hit the ball onto Waveland Avenue. It would’ve been a Javy Baez pick - you might get something great, but there’s a real chance you swing and miss at a breaking ball a foot outside that you could see coming but swung at anyway. Wright is more of a Mark Buehrle pick - a higher floor for a player who’s probably never great but who you think will be a rock solid reliable fixture for you his whole career. There are times for the Javy Baez pick to be sure, but this wasn’t it IMO. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Btw, Larry Borom tweeted “lol” when the bears selected Wright, almost as if the pick blindsided him

Larry is my guy (Mizzou) but if he didnt think there would be at the very least competition for him at RT, hes got his head buried.

Still think he is sent off to an OT needy team post draft, for a future pick (Im still eyeing the Patriots)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Poles and co gave Wright a rigorous exhausting workout and said he exceeded their expectations. Think he was their guy after it. Lucky we didn’t trade down further because all the OL WENT 

I think Wright goes to TEN at 11 if we don’t take him where we did. 

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Larry is my guy (Mizzou) but if he didnt think there would be at the very least competition for him at RT, hes got his head buried.

Still think he is sent off to an OT needy team post draft, for a future pick (Im still eyeing the Patriots)

I’m just not convinced he’s good enough to get anything in return for. We benched and buried him last year and when he was forced onto the field he strongly underwhelmed. I think teams would just assume go with their own young guys before trading away draft capital for that guy.

I’m fine him competing as depth, but if that’s what we do with him then it should be at G. And ideally against another pick this year. 

59 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Center. It is being filled by Whitehair since Jenkins and Davis are the OGs. He is getting highly overpaid and this is likely his last year of he doesn't take a major pay reduction. 

Jones played well as a rookie so he is going to get every chance to hold onto LT, he really just struggled with power so we will see if he got much stronger in this offseason.  

Might really want to get one more high upside depth guy since Jenkins has seemed injury prone.  Guy is a great talent but needs someone at least competent behind him.  I think Leatherwood would be a solid guard,  I dont see him being a good seeing OT. 

Center for sure, and I wouldn't mind someone like Wanya Morris later as well.  Happy to be the team that keeps drafting OT and C and letting the best take the spots, let the rest move to G, get traded or stay as depth. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m just not convinced he’s good enough to get anything in return for.

Oh im not thinking anything big. I was talking like 6th/7th rounder, possibly even in 2025. It would basically just be to skip the Waiver process

And he might not interest anyone that much, but if youre looking for a Swing Tackle, for a power running team, hes more interesting than all but a few on the market.

I still say its a scheme thing between the Bears/Borom at this point. We all saw he has enough talent to get a shot in the league, he just doesnt do the things that we now ask our Tackles to do, and he is pretty staunchly against being a Guard

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1630934207240306688?s=20

Alabama edge rusher Will Anderson, a likely top-five pick, says that Tennessee’s Darnell Wright is the best OT he faced in college. Anderson mentioned how much better Wright got year-to-year. Pointed to his ability to mirror rushers and anchor at his size.”

Edited by USADave
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I still say its a scheme thing between the Bears/Borom at this point. We all saw he has enough talent to get a shot in the league, he just doesnt do the things that we now ask our Tackles to do, and he is pretty staunchly against being a Guard

Reminds me a lot of Jordan Mills tbh. 

• Like 1