Bears select Tyrique Stevenson - Rd. 2 - #56 overall

beardown3231

22 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Johnson is good, but I think he's overrated by the fan  base. Good player but if he was a Packer, we'd say he's overrated. Ball skills are just meh. If he wants a big contract, he can get one elsewhere

I feel like I'm much much higher on Jaylon than most people apparently.... His ball production isn't hot, but there's still a reason people largely just don't throw the ball anywhere near him too....

@ thread.... The most interesting dynamic for Stevenson to me is that he's primarily a press man corner.    Given how we've gone above and beyond out of our way to upgrade the LB corps, and are looking to have a sketchy-questionable front 4 pass rush, I'm wondering if the plan isn't shift off of traditional tampa 2 and bring more heat from the linebackers, with at least hybrid man coverage on the back end to account for being short a man (since said man will be blitzing)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I feel like I'm much much higher on Jaylon than most people apparently.... His ball production isn't hot, but there's still a reason people largely just don't throw the ball anywhere near him too....

@ thread.... The most interesting dynamic for Stevenson to me is that he's primarily a press man corner.    Given how we've gone above and beyond out of our way to upgrade the LB corps, and are looking to have a sketchy-questionable front 4 pass rush, I'm wondering if the plan isn't shift off of traditional tampa 2 and bring more heat from the linebackers, with at least hybrid man coverage on the back end to account for being short a man (since said man will be blitzing)

High on Johnson why?? Just always hurt and then wanting a contract....this isnt a super knock on him, all players do it...but just kind of a classic JAG....like giving him an extension would almost be stupid haha

He just is destined to be like a disappointing overpaid guy for the Browns or whatever....he doesnt even come off as a guy who wants to be great or like a good Bear...I swear I dont hate him but hes no Tillman....just a dude who is fine....no real good team will really miss him or really need him on the roster.....even before this I thought the idea of paying him #1 CB money was insane

5 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

High on Johnson why??

Coverage. When he's on the field and healthy, teams are avoiding him like he's John Wick.
https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2022/07/13/jaylon-johnson-has-the-nfls-best-coverage-grade-over-expectation/

https://ontapsportsnet.com/bears/chicago-bears-jaylon-johnson-coverage-stats-pff

His numbers drop by the end of the season, but the talent level is clearly there... Just gotta keep him healthy, and have a non potato front 4 on the DL actually getting pressures.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Coverage. When he's on the field and healthy, teams are avoiding him like he's John Wick.
https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2022/07/13/jaylon-johnson-has-the-nfls-best-coverage-grade-over-expectation/

https://ontapsportsnet.com/bears/chicago-bears-jaylon-johnson-coverage-stats-pff

His numbers drop by the end of the season, but the talent level is clearly there... Just gotta keep him healthy, and have a non potato front 4 on the DL actually getting pressures.

I just dont get why we would think we could keep him healthy....hurt people hurt teams haha.....paying him would just be bad....I made the joke before but if he left like tomorrow, would you even care?

Even to a division rival....Im perfectly fine if he went to the Vikings or whaterver....he kind of sucks

14 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I just dont get why we would think we could keep him healthy....hurt people hurt teams haha.....paying him would just be bad....I made the joke before but if he left like tomorrow, would you even care?

Even to a division rival....Im perfectly fine if he went to the Vikings or whaterver....he kind of sucks

I guess by your standards then the Bears have zero CBs. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Ok, I don't think he's great but to say he kind of sucks is factually incorrect

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I guess by your standards then the Bears have zero CBs. 

I know your being sarcastic but dude, this is the second year in a row we used a second round pick on CB...and Gordon was Poles's first ever draft choice

That is literally the definition of a team that feels they have no CB's haha....

We all wanted this Jalyon Johson thing to work out but, dude is always hurt, and a new regime is not giving him a contract, he will live his days being a good, often injured CB for a bad team who overpays...not a bad life

20 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I know your being sarcastic but dude, this is the second year in a row we used a second round pick on CB...and Gordon was Poles's first ever draft choice

That is literally the definition of a team that feels they have no CB's haha....

We all wanted this Jalyon Johson thing to work out but, dude is always hurt, and a new regime is not giving him a contract, he will live his days being a good, often injured CB for a bad team who overpays...not a bad life

I mean if they only need two CBs, but Gordon was pretty bad last year and was hurt also. I guess no player should ask for a new contract, if he stays relatively healthy this season he will get a new contract offer with the Bears. If not then it’s just more holes to fill. But he is far from sucking like you said. 

53 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Not really. When Poles got here JJ was the only functional CB that we had. We need 3 to play most of the time in this era of football. Additionally, the Eagles just spent 2 1st round picks on defensive linemen. Does that mean that they had no defensive line prior to the draft? Your argument doesn't make sense.

11. TYRIQUE STEVENSON | Miami (Fla.) 6003 | 198 lbs. | 4SR Miami, Fla. (Southridge) 5/26/2000 (age 22.92) #2

BACKGROUND: Tyrique Stevenson, who is the oldest of five children, grew up in the Miami area with his mother and could often be found outside playing sports. He originally attended South Dade High School, where he played linebacker on the JV team as a freshman. After moving up to varsity as a sophomore, Stevenson played cornerback, safety and wide receiver and posted 69 tackles and four interceptions, earning All-County honors in 2017. He transferred to Southridge High for his senior season, where he played cornerback, safety, receiver, punter, returner and long snapper. Stevenson finished his final year with 62 tackles and six interceptions and was named a U.S. Army All-American. He also lettered in basketball and track at South Dade high school, setting a personal best in the 100 meters (10.88) his junior year. A four-star recruit, Stevenson was the No. 3 cornerback in the 2019 recruiting class (behind Derek Stingley and Andrew Booth) and the No. 4 recruit in Florida (behind Nolan Smith, Trey Sanders and Evan Neal). He was the No. 37 overall recruit and one of the highest-ranked four-stars in the class. After his sophomore season, Stevenson picked up offers from UCF and Florida, and he committed to the Gators a month later. He continued to take visits and received several high-profile offers, including Alabama, Florida State and his hometown Miami (Fla.). After his junior season, Stevenson decommitted from Florida and reopened his recruitment. Ultimately, he narrowed his final choice to Georgia and Miami and committed to the Bulldogs because his mother wanted him to leave the “bubble” where he grew up. Stevenson was homesick in Athens and had “a lot of disagreements” with head coach Kirby Smart, who wanted him to play safety or nickel while Stevenson wanted to be a cornerback. After the 2020 season, he entered the transfer portal and received numerous offers but never considered anywhere except returning home to Miami for his final two seasons. He has four younger sisters: a twin sister, younger sister and another set of twin sisters. Stevenson accepted his invitation to the 2023 Senior Bowl.

YEAR (GP/GS) 

2019: (14/1) 13 1.0 1.0 0 5 0 Georgia; Enrolled in January 2019

2020: (10/4) 34 1.0 0.0 0 5 0 Georgia; STAR (LB/S)

2021: (11/10) 43 2.5 0.5 0 5 1 Miami; CB; Honorable Mention All-ACC; Missed one game (right shoulder)

2022: (11/11) 25 1.5 0.0 0 9 2 Miami; CB; Third Team All-ACC; Missed one game (concussion protocol)

Total: (46/26) 

STRENGTHS: Physically impressive athlete with a muscular body and long arms … explosive athlete with springs in his calves to quickly redirect … flashes the recovery speed to get back into position when needed … able to muscle receivers off their intended path or force them to run laterally to avoid the jam … looks to make route runners uncomfortable without drawing flags … responsible for only one coverage penalty (pass interference) in his two seasons with the Hurricanes … able to play through the hands of receivers when in position … physical tackler with a safety background and looks to drive through his target when squared up … plays chippy and has the requisite mental and physical toughness required for the NFL.

WEAKNESSES: False-stepper near the line of scrimmage, forcing him to play catchup … high-hipped and moves with hints of hip stiffness mid-transition … surrenders too much spacing in off coverage … late to collect himself and break on slants as early as he should … offenses know they can get him to bite and give up big plays (see 2022 North Carolina tape) … inconsistent balance downfield leaves ball production on the field … looks to lay the boom in run support but tends to be reckless as a finisher, leading to ball carriers escaping his initial attack … arrested and charged with disorderly conduct (March 2019) shortly after enrolling at Georgia after allegedly fighting with employees at an Athens bar … tore his labrum and several ligaments in his right shoulder (November 2021), which required offseason surgery (spring 2022) to shave his collarbone.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Miami, Stevenson was an outside cornerback in former defensive coordinator Kevin Steele’s man-coverage scheme. After playing the “STAR” nickel position at Georgia (against his wishes), he transferred closer to home to play cornerback and combined for 14 passes defended and three interceptions in two seasons. Stevenson is an above-average size/speed athlete with physical toughness and brash swagger that many coaches covet as foundational traits for their man-cover defenders. He isn’t shy bumping and riding the hip of route runners, but his physical play style leaves him unbalanced mid-route and at the catch point, which will be tougher to hide from officials in the NFL. Overall, Stevenson needs to become more disciplined in coverage and versus the run, but he is a long, rangy corner with the speed and short-area athleticism to stay in phase. He is a press-man corner on the perimeter with NFL starting ability.

GRADE: 2nd-3rd Round (No. 69 overall)

On 4/29/2023 at 8:42 PM, MonserinNC said:

High on Johnson why?? Just always hurt and then wanting a contract....this isnt a super knock on him, all players do it...but just kind of a classic JAG....like giving him an extension would almost be stupid haha

He just is destined to be like a disappointing overpaid guy for the Browns or whatever....he doesnt even come off as a guy who wants to be great or like a good Bear...I swear I dont hate him but hes no Tillman....just a dude who is fine....no real good team will really miss him or really need him on the roster.....even before this I thought the idea of paying him #1 CB money was insane

Early in the offseason I likened JJ to a prime Prince Amukamara, which I thought was pretty fair, when discussing what I’d pay him on an extension. Really good cover skills but almost zero ball production. He’s a great guy to have on your squad. He’s a solid starter. But he’s only that IMO. 

9 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

He transferred to Southridge High for his senior season, where he played cornerback, safety, receiver, punter, returner and long snapper.

Patrick Scales replacement 

On 4/30/2023 at 1:21 PM, Bigbear72 said:

Not really. When Poles got here JJ was the only functional CB that we had. We need 3 to play most of the time in this era of football. Additionally, the Eagles just spent 2 1st round picks on defensive linemen. Does that mean that they had no defensive line prior to the draft? Your argument doesn't make sense.

This argument is whatever, haha....so now we are comparing the Eagles Dl rotation to the Bears secondary? I guess the rich got richer for our Secondary too

Also by this logic, you can just draft anything and its not a need