Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

On 1/17/2018 at 9:20 AM, Rockice_8 said:

I'm not even 100% sold on Cousins anyway.  I want a good young QB like Mayfield or Rosen.  That way in 2 years we could potentially have a 23-24 year old franchise QB and with the rest of the money used on a team surrounding him good enough to win.

We could make a run with a QB on a rookie scale and tons of money pumped into the supporting cast like JAC.  We just need to hope whoever we have is a better QB then Bortles.

If whoever we draft turns out to be great we set ourselves up for sustained success.  That's what I prefer over any other approach.  Going the retread route like Smith, Bradford, Tyrod whoever is the last thing I'd want.  Only way I'm bring in one of them if it's on a glorified 1 year deal so that if Rosen/Mayfield need to be eased in we have that ability.

Agreed, this is the way to do it. I really wish Cousins would just sign a LTD with the Skins already

I feel confident we come out of FA with 1 of Cousins or Bell, which is good. I think we look to upgrade C for sure as well, potentially even a G. Which will be good if we get either of them to either protect Cousins or open up holes for Bell.

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I feel confident we come out of FA with 1 of Cousins or Bell, which is good. I think we look to upgrade C for sure as well, potentially even a G. Which will be good if we get either of them to either protect Cousins or open up holes for Bell.

I'd sign up for Bell, Jensen and a FA CB like Breeland or Fuller.  DOn't know how realistic it all is though ....

18 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

I'd sign up for Bell, Jensen and a FA CB like Breeland or Fuller.  DOn't know how realistic it all is though ....

Fact is it’s going to be hard to convince really good players to come to us. We will have to overspend to entice them. Luckily we have money to spend to allow us to do that. But this isn’t the offseason for Macc do miss out on players that can really help this team over money. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Fact is it’s going to be hard to convince really good players to come to us. We will have to overspend to entice them. Luckily we have money to spend to allow us to do that. But this isn’t the offseason for Macc do miss out on players that can really help this team over money. 

I don't agree with that frankly.  I think the Jets this off season will be viewed differently the last.  The future is bright and with the correct moves a quick turn around can be made.  I was saying likely as I can see Bell  being tagged.  I am not sure that our FO ill go the route of spending a lot on a 30 year old QB, I see the draft to grab one.  So i don't know if Bell ill be even available ... I think we can nab Jensen and a top CB for sure though.

Just now, JetsFan15 said:

If we can draft a young QB he will be worth the money as long as i it is structured well. 

Not really.  He's played one full season once in five year.  Averages between 12-13 games a year.  You're going to pay 1mil+ per game for him.  He's the best RB in the game, but honestly, look at a guy like Kareem Hunt.  You can find top 10 RB's in the draft if you scout well.  

42 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Not really.  He's played one full season once in five year.  Averages between 12-13 games a year.  You're going to pay 1mil+ per game for him.  He's the best RB in the game, but honestly, look at a guy like Kareem Hunt.  You can find top 10 RB's in the draft if you scout well.  

I agree you can find a RB.  My point is that Bell with his skill and experience will take a big load off a rookie QB greatly.  He only missed significant time because of injury in 2015 (even that year he had a suspension too).  He is past the suspension stuff from what we have seen the past two years (would have played 16 this year but Pitt sat him week 17). 

Food for thought: Jeremy Bates is a protege of Mike Shanahan. He was promoted each year with the team and was the playcaller for the 2008 Broncos. 

Its no secret that the Shanahan’s have a strong relationship with Cousins. One of the primary reasons for his dismissal was because he wanted to move forward with Cousins as the starter. You would think that if Kirk does seek their advice, Bates will get a glowing assessment. 

6 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

https://nypost.com/2018/01/20/former-nfl-exec-kirk-cousins-isnt-special-qb/amp/

Interesting article. Still don’t think he nickels and dimes the Skins/better teams  to come play here.

Nice read. I think those are fare comments. Cousins is not a player like Brady, Brees, or Rodgers who can carry a team seemingly on their own. I think most have viewed him as the level below that level. As to say, he needs help around him. 

He also reiterated a lot of the things I've read about Cousins: He is a workaholic and very methodical. Apparently, they made a small closet his office so that he can store notes, etc. Sounds like a real professional. 

The big questions I'm left with after reading this article is who is the best fit for Cousins? Which of BUF, NYJ, CLE, DEN, ARI and WAS has the better coaching and players?

13 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

https://nypost.com/2018/01/20/former-nfl-exec-kirk-cousins-isnt-special-qb/amp/

Interesting article. Still don’t think he nickels and dimes the Skins/better teams  to come play here.

Few are special. Fact is, hes good, and he give us a legit QB for a decent amount of time allowing us to groom a younger one after a few years. Not to mention we haven't been able to draft a good one whether it be a high pick, a 2nd pick or mid round. Go the FA route for once and a guy who isnt a band aid. 

Archived