🔥 Pick #70 is in: Byron Young, DT, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

11 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Interesting point about Koonce and I too am surprised we haven’t used him at all last year as he definitely had flashes. I feel like he could be a Benson Mayowa type of rotation speed rusher. It would be a waste if he didn’t get a fair shake due to being drafted by a different regime. I totally agree he could be a productive relief edge rusher and chip 5+ sacks if used enough on favourable downs.

He might get more of a shot since they seemingly admitted Jones ain't got it. You don't take Max off the field and they wanted their big FA signing to prove them right 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Well, obviously he’s not Ngata and in fairness he says it’s not about comparing styles just impact but I don’t think Young is in that category sadly.

He said “I’m going to give you a name… they have different games but similar results…run defense not pass rushing… Haloti Ngata”.

Young by no means will have the impact Ngata had as a run defender.  That’s just an absolutely ridiculous comparison.  It’s the type of comment that once you hear if you stop listening to what he’s saying and he loses all credibility.  And remember, the information he has is compiled from talking to all his various NFL team employees.  It’s not his opinion, it’s the opinion of the professionals.   

I’m not knocking Young by any means either.  I think Young is a promising player in terms of both run defense and pass rushing.  That doesn’t mean he wasn’t a slight reach, which is fine…. If your fairly certain he’ll be a good player take him… you try and take him as late as you can by judging how he’s viewed around the league to optimize your draft capital, but as long as he hits then it’s a good pick.  

Just the way the guy talks screams a BSer/scammer/manipulator.  In the last video I posted he starts with he’s not trying to change your mind, make it for yourself, he’d never tell you what think, he’s only reporting what his trusted sources around the league have told him, he values the sources he has who have succeeded drafting CBs in the past more then other sources he has that aren’t as good…. As if he has this insane Rolodex of Front Office execs he speaks to regularly about the draftable players at every position.  He presents his information as being of the highest credibility.  Then he said he doesn’t care what some guys with a website have to say, his sources are the reliable ones.  He portrays other opinions, especially dissenting opinions as being uninformed and less credible then his.  All of that is an argument from authority.

Then in this video he starts with the “touchy… it’s not even that, that implies fans did something wrong, you can have whatever opinion you want” before he goes into his spiel that tries to illicit sympathy or assert moral superiority over the fans who attacked him.  
Then he goes into his narrative about how Young is this great player with Haloti Ngata level run stopping and Aiden O’Connell was a 1st rounded last year but came back to school and because of changes in the program and “no fault of his own he fell”, but he’s still the Raiders and at least one other teams #1 pocket passer and a 2nd round grade.  And all the picks we made were great, nothing to criticize here.   Oh yeah, if Renfrow gets traded after 6/1 like I said before and still think happens I’ll tell you why…. He can’t tell us now, but will tell us if it happens.

The guy gets fed info by the team and knows who breads his butter and tries to steer popular opinion. He acknowledges several times that fans have criticized him for this.  When there’s that much criticism of him and evidence of it it’s a popular tactic to acknowledge and right off the criticism as crazy talk.  

End of the day… Hondo Carpenter is a fraud and hack…. I can’t believe some people think this guys a great reporter of the Raiders….. And I hope Byron Young becomes a very good, multi dimensional player for us and value piece of the deep DL were trying to build.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

He said “I’m going to give you a name… they have different games but similar results…run defense not pass rushing… Haloti Ngata”.

Young by no means will have the impact Ngata had as a run defender.  That’s just an absolutely ridiculous comparison.  It’s the type of comment that once you hear if you stop listening to what he’s saying and he loses all credibility.  And remember, the information he has is compiled from talking to all his various NFL team employees.  It’s not his opinion, it’s the opinion of the professionals.   

I’m not knocking Young by any means either.  I think Young is a promising player in terms of both run defense and pass rushing.  That doesn’t mean he wasn’t a slight reach, which is fine…. If your fairly certain he’ll be a good player take him… you try and take him as late as you can by judging how he’s viewed around the league to optimize your draft capital, but as long as he hits then it’s a good pick.  

Just the way the guy talks screams a BSer/scammer/manipulator.  In the last video I posted he starts with he’s not trying to change your mind, make it for yourself, he’d never tell you what think, he’s only reporting what his trusted sources around the league have told him, he values the sources he has who have succeeded drafting CBs in the past more then other sources he has that aren’t as good…. As if he has this insane Rolodex of Front Office execs he speaks to regularly about the draftable players at every position.  He presents his information as being of the highest credibility.  Then he said he doesn’t care what some guys with a website have to say, his sources are the reliable ones.  He portrays other opinions, especially dissenting opinions as being uninformed and less credible then his.  All of that is an argument from authority.

Then in this video he starts with the “touchy… it’s not even that, that implies fans did something wrong, you can have whatever opinion you want” before he goes into his spiel that tries to illicit sympathy or assert moral superiority over the fans who attacked him.  
Then he goes into his narrative about how Young is this great player with Haloti Ngata level run stopping and Aiden O’Connell was a 1st rounded last year but came back to school and because of changes in the program and “no fault of his own he fell”, but he’s still the Raiders and at least one other teams #1 pocket passer and a 2nd round grade.  And all the picks we made were great, nothing to criticize here.   Oh yeah, if Renfrow gets traded after 6/1 like I said before and still think happens I’ll tell you why…. He can’t tell us now, but will tell us if it happens.

The guy gets fed info by the team and knows who breads his butter and tries to steer popular opinion. He acknowledges several times that fans have criticized him for this.  When there’s that much criticism of him and evidence of it it’s a popular tactic to acknowledge and right off the criticism as crazy talk.  

End of the day… Hondo Carpenter is a fraud and hack…. I can’t believe some people think this guys a great reporter of the Raiders….. And I hope Byron Young becomes a very good, multi dimensional player for us and value piece of the deep DL were trying to build.

OK…….. I didn’t realise this guy was such a ‘controversial’ figure here 😄 There’s so many writers, bloggers etc that I lose track of who’s who.

My mistake, I thought you were posting it for info but you were mocking him. To be fair, the Ngata comparison (either pkay style or results) is absurd!

Perhaps I was giving him too much credit as it’s the first time I’ve listened to him speak, though I have seen some of his written work and haven’t been too impressed! Also, for some reason with the name Hondo I was kind of expecting a Japanese looking guy for some reason 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

OK…….. I didn’t realise this guy was such a ‘controversial’ figure here 😄 There’s so many writers, bloggers etc that I lose track of who’s who.

My mistake, I thought you were posting it for info but you were mocking him. To be fair, the Ngata comparison (either pkay style or results) is absurd!

Perhaps I was giving him too much credit as it’s the first time I’ve listened to him speak, though I have seen some of his written work and haven’t been too impressed! Also, for some reason with the name Hondo I was kind of expecting a Japanese looking guy for some reason 😁

Hondo is a good reporter. The anti-McDaniels brigade hate on him, because he doesn't feed their narratives about how despised he is by everyone. 

He's got connections, been in the game a long time. He was one of the first to float the Leatherwood draft pick under the Gruden. He leans on the optimistic side, but has called out some of the more suspect decisions. 

Much better voice that Tafur who's become irrelevant since the Vegas move. Reed who just kinda sucks. And Vince who is clearly a PR man for the organization.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Hondo is a good reporter. The anti-McDaniels brigade hate on him, because he doesn't feed their narratives about how despised he is by everyone. 

He's got connections, been in the game a long time. He was one of the first to float the Leatherwood draft pick under the Gruden. He leans on the optimistic side, but has called out some of the more suspect decisions. 

Much better voice that Tafur who's become irrelevant since the Vegas move. Reed who just kinda sucks. And Vince who is clearly a PR man for the organization.  

To be fair, this is also why you probably like him.  What he says aligns with what you think.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

“freak edge”

”monster defensive lineman”

”insssssssannne upside!”

”would have been drafted if he got down to IMG academy”… if he just got his vids / passport!

”potential to be one of the top tier players”

Oh Sanjit, god bless your optimism!

Not optimism; delusion

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 8:06 AM, true2form said:

To be fair, this is also why you probably like him.  What he says aligns with what you think.

I actually enjoy reading his stuff, I like seeing some of the behind the scenes stuff and perspectives that he’s getting access to. if that takes him writing positive spins and being a Raiders  hype guy, then  I’m totally okay with it. 

I feel like as long as you know his articles are through rose-colored glasses, you can still enjoy them.  I get tired of the doom-and-gloom perspectives all the time. I’ve been reading slandering Raider articles for decades, kinda nice to read something with a positive spin. 

Edited by 101Raider
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 101Raider said:

I actually enjoy reading his stuff, I like seeing some of the behind the scenes stuff and perspectives that he’s getting access to. if that takes him writing positive spins and being a Raiders  hype guy, then  I’m totally okay with it. 

I feel like as long as you know his articles are through rose-colored glasses, you can still enjoy them.  I get tired of the doom-and-gloom perspectives all the time. I’ve been reading slandering Raider articles for decades, kinda nice to read something with a positive spin. 

Whatever works for you. 

I like reality.  Give it to me straight and don't sugar coat it.  I get tired of all the lies and misinformation.  Tell me the truth or don't tell me anything. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 6:28 AM, big_palooka said:

He’s trash.. he just puts out garbage propaganda for your boy JMD.

That’s not my opinion it’s a fact.  The guy claims “his multiple sources” said O’Connell was a 1st round prospect and best pocket passer in the draft.  

that’s beyond being optimistic.  A team reporter should be optimistic. Who wants a negative team reporter?  But when he makes up fake sources and makes ridiculous claims he loses all credibility.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, true2form said:

Whatever works for you. 

I like reality.  Give it to me straight and don't sugar coat it.  I get tired of all the lies and misinformation.  Tell me the truth or don't tell me anything. 

100%.  I don’t understand how anyone would want pure propaganda that’s passed to a reporter and gets repackaged as insider info.

Real Reporters dig up info, they don’t cozy up and get fed info that the source wants out in the public.  That’s a crazy concept.