Pick 99: 49ers draft Jake Moody K Michigan

49erurtaza

It's funny. I remember doing a pod with Y2 after we drafted Wish and I was like, "well, if he's good, nobody will care that we spent a fourth on him". Now I'm like breathing flames at the team and trying to get on first take to excoriate them in front of millions. 

I'm crankier now I think

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's funny. I remember doing a pod with Y2 after we drafted Wish and I was like, "well, if he's good, nobody will care that we spent a fourth on him". Now I'm like breathing flames at the team and trying to get on first take to excoriate them in front of millions. 

I'm crankier now I think

Honestly, I’m not really mad about it. Obviously I would have gone a different direction for all of our picks, but I do trust this regime in this range for the most part. 

A number of people were calling for Washington, but we’ve been absolutely trashing this regime for drafting guys with big injury questions for years.

Brown fills a need and there are guys that absolutely love him. DJ said he was his top safety in the draft. I preferred Battle, but guys like Lynch and Wills probably have a better eye for this than I do. 

Moody may have been there later, but that’s something we probably won’t find out for years if ever. If he develops into a reliable kicker then the pick will be worth it. The idea of a “safe” kicker is laughable, but if someone told you that you could have a top kicker in the league for a late third I think most teams would do it. 

Latu doesn’t seem to have a real high ceiling, but I think he’ll provide more in the passing game than Dwelley or Woerner and probably just be a very solid player for us.

• Like 1

I called it a couple months ago. It’s not fun and I shook my head, but I think he’ll be a very solid kicker for a decade with a big leg, I won’t have to throw stuff at the tv on kickoffs anymore, and we flop around this time in the draft usually, and I don’t think this is a flop, even if it is a bit early. 

16 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Honestly, I’m not really mad about it. Obviously I would have gone a different direction for all of our picks, but I do trust this regime in this range for the most part. 

A number of people were calling for Washington, but we’ve been absolutely trashing this regime for drafting guys with big injury questions for years.

Brown fills a need and there are guys that absolutely love him. DJ said he was his top safety in the draft. I preferred Battle, but guys like Lynch and Wills probably have a better eye for this than I do. 

Moody may have been there later, but that’s something we probably won’t find out for years if ever. If he develops into a reliable kicker then the pick will be worth it. The idea of a “safe” kicker is laughable, but if someone told you that you could have a top kicker in the league for a late third I think most teams would do it. 

Latu doesn’t seem to have a real high ceiling, but I think he’ll provide more in the passing game than Dwelley or Woerner and probably just be a very solid player for us.

I said it in the other thread, but I don't know how you really scout kickers. Finding a good one is almost accidental. There's too much year to year randomness and variables built in to their performance (for the most part) and they don't get the leash, either. It's the ultimate throw darts position. If you're going to draft one, especially this early, they have to be elite. Not just good enough, or average and I have no idea how you judge that.  Especially given how little money you have to spend on a good one. So financially it doesn't even make sense.  I feel like I would have legitimately preferred spending 3 7ths on kickers lol. 

Plus, now we're committed. There's a very real chance that Gonzalez is just flat out better if they have a competition. Wouldn't surprise me at all. But you're not going to cut moody, you're not carrying two... So you could legit make your team worse with this. 

It's just a very weird move to me. Past precedent doesn't mean anything for moody specifically, but it's kind of funny how bad kickers getting drafted in the 2nd-4th round have been the last 20-25 years, so I'm not sure the NFL knows how to scout kickers either lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I said it in the other thread, but I don't know how you really scout kickers. Finding a good one is almost accidental. There's too much year to year randomness and variables built in to their performance (for the most part) and they don't get the leash, either. It's the ultimate throw darts position. If you're going to draft one, especially this early, they have to be elite. Not just good enough, or average and I have no idea how you judge that.  Especially given how little money you have to spend on a good one. So financially it doesn't even make sense.  I feel like I would have legitimately preferred spending 3 7ths on kickers lol. 

Plus, now we're committed. There's a very real chance that Gonzalez is just flat out better if they have a competition. Wouldn't surprise me at all. But you're not going to cut moody, you're not carrying two... So you could legit make your team worse with this. 

It's just a very weird move to me. Past precedent doesn't mean anything for moody specifically, but it's kind of funny how bad kickers getting drafted in the 2nd-4th round have been the last 20-25 years, so I'm not sure the NFL knows how to scout kickers either lol

Yeah Aguayo was a disaster lol. Wasn’t Seabass a 1st rounder? 

Idk man. It seems like they got it right with Wish. I’m hoping they got it right here too. 

One thing I will say is the team was going to likely have to re-sign Gould to close to 5M if they didn't end up with Moody or the other top kicker. So while they used a high pick on one, their theory may be that they saved 4M on this pick for the next four-five years. 

• Like 5

On 4/29/2023 at 4:11 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Just glad it was someone I liked. Dials back the sting a bit. 

The biggest thing with moody, and the biggest reason for him going as high as he did, was probably the pressure kicks he made. E/W shrine, TCU, Illinois. Dude has been in the pressure cooker, I'll give him that. 

I hope he is awesome. That won't ever change how I feel about the process, and I'm not sure focusing on that few number of kicks is a good idea,  but as I mentioned before, I'm more bummed about the latu pick than this one

• Like 3

Watching the presser with Lynch and Shanny, they both said they had a 4th round grade on Moody and knew other teams were in the hunt for a kicker. NE took a kicker 13 spots after we took Moody.

They wanted Moody and Schneider pounded the table for him. Moody was going to be a 49er. I'm fine with them taking him essentially between the 3rd and 4th rounds. I'd rather they just go ahead and grab their guy, rather than trying to get cute with it and trade down into the 4th and try to land him there. 

If Moody comes in and make his kicks and routinely gets touchbacks on his kickoffs, no one is going to care he was picked where he was.

• Like 2