6.179 - Karl Brooks [DL; Bowling Green ]

Packerraymond

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

I'm sure there is one, but man I'm not coming up with it.  Brooks is such a weird prospect as a whole.  Looks like a 3T but played stand-up edge; body looks a year or two out (and the testing numbers agree), but put up a great senior bowl performance all the same.  Man is awfully smooth for his size, certainly seems like he has the physical ability, but I just cannot get a good sense of what he is or should be in the pros. 

Strange prospect for sure but with some abilities, in particular movement skills and hands to match all of that small school production. I don’t know if he would benefit from a redshirt year or just throw him into the fire and see if his positives can outweigh his negatives at this level. Hard to picture what his best position is but hopefully working around the edges. He’ll get steamrolled going against NFL lineman on rushing downs. 

• 5 months later...

Rookie showed up today, on the stat sheet and doing dirty work. I hope KC is feeling better soon but these young guys will see more snaps in the weeks ahead, I hope they make them count. One thing about Brooks, he seems like he shows good awareness for a rookie. Batting down balls and getting around Oline by being a step ahead. Hope to see the continued growth for the young DE. 

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Brooks is looking like a real solid player and a steal. If Wyatt lives up to his potential, we got a scary DL in the future with Clark, Brooks and Wyatt.

36 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Would be nice if Colby Wooden plays a role in there too.

Looks like the steal of the draft.

Also, @CWood21 and @Packerraymond both know what they are talking about regarding the draft. I think one or both of them had him with a 3rd round grade in their drafting grades. Pretty impressive IMO. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 12:17 AM, incognito_man said:

Some loser called him Reggie White Jr ffs

ya shouldn't be so hard on yourself😄

imo the Reggie White clone Sunday was Ken Clark, Barry finally turned that dog lose, bouncing him from one side of the DL to the other made it extremely difficult for Detroit to set blocking, it left others 1 on 1, and they made hay getting after the QB, really hope it continues. jmo

not to take anything away from Brooks, he's really been a great draft pick

Edited by turf toe

10 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Perhaps the improved play of guys like Brooks has given Barry the freedom to move Kenny Clark around more than he would have in the past. 

I thought I heard on one of the recent Packer podcasts (maybe Wahle or Herman) saying that Slaton (330lbs) becoming a starter allowed GB to have KC play more of his snaps lined up further away from the Center than in years past. Slaton is on track to play twice as many snaps as last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Also, @CWood21 and @Packerraymond both know what they are talking about regarding the draft. I think one or both of them had him with a 3rd round grade in their drafting grades. Pretty impressive IMO. 

He or Wicks too. 2023 draft could turn out to be transformational for the franchise. Then not to mention Reed, Musgrave, etc so far. Even though they were drafted higher they are looking like massive steals too.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Brooks had a miserable pro day, I had him in the top 64, then moved him somewhere in the 90s for it, so even I was to blame. He doesn't not play to that athletic profile at all, not sure other than he just didn't train for the drills why he was so bad. If he blew up the pro day, guy goes in round 2. I'd give Gute more props for the pick, but round 6 was too late for him, all 32 GM's effed up with him, Valentine, Zach Tom, we're just lucky Gute was the guy that eventually pulled the trigger. It's why I laugh when some people hold GM's to this standard that they have this almighty gift to evaluate football players. People in the public who played/coached/avidly watch/ the game and do this for a hobby know what makes a good player too. A lot of time nepotism is what separates them from us. Access the interviews and medicals obviously is the difference between their board and our film/athletic testing only board. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

He or Wicks too. 2023 draft could turn out to be transformational for the franchise. Then not to mention Reed, Musgrave, etc so far. Even though they were drafted higher they are looking like massive steals too.

It sure looks like a knockout draft from Gute.  We need another one of those in '24, and the Packers will be ready to roll for the next five years plus.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Brooks had a miserable pro day, I had him in the top 64, then moved him somewhere in the 90s for it, so even I was to blame. He doesn't not play to that athletic profile at all, not sure other than he just didn't train for the drills why he was so bad. If he blew up the pro day, guy goes in round 2. I'd give Gute more props for the pick, but round 6 was too late for him, all 32 GM's effed up with him, Valentine, Zach Tom, we're just lucky Gute was the guy that eventually pulled the trigger. It's why I laugh when some people hold GM's to this standard that they have this almighty gift to evaluate football players. People in the public who played/coached/avidly watch/ the game and do this for a hobby know what makes a good player too. A lot of time nepotism is what separates them from us. Access the interviews and medicals obviously is the difference between their board and our film/athletic testing only board. 

Would you do me a favor when you are looking at prospects. Give me your take on Daijun Edwards from Georgia. The scouting publications don't even have him listed. I watch this guy play and would absolutely take a 7th round flyer on him. Where am I wrong? 

• Like 1

I've been very impressed by the pass rushing productivity he's been able to generate in the pressure packages. 

He hasn't played much outside of obvious passing downs, but even if he does nothing but hones what he's currently doing, that's a valuable player just in his ability to play the pressure snaps. 

• Like 2