2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think based on value right now that those are the best places to fill the needs.

I know that would mean we are somewhat ignoring the OL, but that might be the case this offseason. We are more able to live with Massie than we are with the no bodies at WR and OLB.

I just do not see a way to make a real upgrade at OT without 8 or 39.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I really want Hiestand to do his job here. Give him athletic, hard-working talent, specifically players that he identifies as ones he can build up, and let him do his job. It won't shock me one bit if we go OL/OL in the 4th round.

Edited by G08

Just now, G08 said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I really want Hiestand to do his job here. Give him athletic, hard-working talent, specifically players that he identifies as ones he can build up, and let him do his job. It won't shock me one bit if we go OL/OL in the 4th round.

The same can be said for Fangio though, who has shown in Chicago he can make a top 10 defense without impact investment on the defense.

I think that with how good Hiestand and Donatel are that both of them should be given a mid round pick that is theirs each year for a guy to add to the pipeline. Let Heistand make the 4th round pick and let Donatel make the 5th round pick and ensure they are always developing someone.

Just now, WindyCity said:

The same can be said for Fangio though, who has shown in Chicago he can make a top 10 defense without impact investment on the defense.

I think that with how good Hiestand and Donatel are that both of them should be given a mid round pick that is theirs each year for a guy to add to the pipeline. Let Heistand make the 4th round pick and let Donatel make the 5th round pick and ensure they are always developing someone.

That's fair, but I am of the opinion that Fangio doesn't like to blitz but is an outstanding (elite?) strategist when it comes to deploying coverages. Nothing made me happier than Thanksgiving two years ago when Rodgers would drop back and scan/scan/scan and have nowhere to go with the ball. Add a potentially elite pass rusher to that kind of coverage and we'll be killing dudes.

Part of me wonders whether Pace just says "F it" I am building this offense and if Fangio can get us the same performance as last season we will be in the wildcard hunt. The offense was so pitifully bad I really wonder if we are going to see a massive offensive investment to get some life into it. It makes more sense if you want your "inexperienced new offensive coach to be successful out of the gate".

1[8] OG Quenton Nelson [Notre Dame]

-Best offensive player in the draft and gives the Bears a day 1 dominant starter on the line.

2[39] WR James Washington [Oklahoma St]

-Deep threat and can run after the catch and has potential that the free agents do not really have.

4. OLB Devin Bellamy [Georgia]

-Cannot totally ignore the defense and they need some youth and speed at OLB.

4. CB Jordan Wyatt [SMU]

-The other position on defense that they need some youth and upside to develop.

5. OT

-Some depth on the outside and a developmental player for Hiestand.

6. QB

-Give Nagy and Helfrich someone to take a long shot on.

7. NT

-Need a big fatty to keep Goldman fresh.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Ben Allbright on the Bears today. Responding to if the Bears would take Barkley. Allbright said Barkley is going lower than people think.

Benjamin Allbright@AllbrightNFL
1h1 hour ago
Pretty sure Chicago is keying in on WR C Ridley

Would not shock me at all.

He has the tools and he is a good scheme fit with his speed and ability to generate after the catch.

I think 8 is rich, but as someone said in another thread, there are needs and then there are crippling/worst unit in the NFL needs.

Not sure how you incorporate White into an assessment of future wide receivers, unless you feel that Pace's judgement was flawed.  I remember zero surprise at the pick at the time since White had been mocked and written about in connection with the Bears for months.  I think White falls into the category of " **** happens " If there was knowledge of his paper mache endoskeleton, I missed it. 

I do however, think that Ridley has some minuses  (size and age) that would make me hesistant to consider him the right value at 8.  

Best case scenario now is that Pace gets a high end OLB, Good WR, average WR and some OL depth in free agency, so the urgency of some of these needs doesn't inform his draft process so much. 

Just now, RunningVaccs said:

Not sure how you incorporate White into an assessment of future wide receivers, unless you feel that Pace's judgement was flawed.  I remember zero surprise at the pick at the time since White had been mocked and written about in connection with the Bears for months.  I think White falls into the category of " **** happens " If there was knowledge of his paper mache endoskeleton, I missed it. 

I do however, think that Ridley has some minuses  (size and age) that would make me hesistant to consider him the right value at 8.  

Best case scenario now is that Pace gets a high end OLB, Good WR, average WR and some OL depth in free agency, so the urgency of some of these needs doesn't inform his draft process so much. 

At this point I don't really trust Pace's judgement when it comes to WRs. I will say, though, that Cameron Meredith was a terrific find.

I don't like WRs in the top 10 unless you're looking at Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones. I fell in love with Amari Cooper and while he has had two 1,000+ yard seasons, I'd like to see his TD numbers go up. This scheme, offensively, values the QB and two offensive tackles. WRs can be found anywhere in the draft if you know exactly what you want in a player (easier said than done). Do you draft a right tackle at 8? I can't see the value there.

6 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

What do you guys do in this scenario?

1. Browns- Josh Allen.....QB

2. Giants- Sam Darnold.....QB

3. Colts- Saquon Barkley.....RB

4. Browns- Minkah Fitzpatrick.....DB

5. Broncos- Quenton Nelson......OL

6. Jets- Josh Rosen...........QB

7. Bucs- Bradley Chubb......DE

8. Bears- ?

Dors Pace go Connor Williams to solidify OT? Does he weigh Tremaine Edmunds vs Marcus Davenport? Denzel Ward is probably BPA.

Trade back -----> Cry because we didn't trade back -------> CB - Jackson ------> Davenport (if he looks like the best passrusher) ------> Brown/McGlinchey --------> Ridley/Sutton/Kirk -----> Ward/Hughes --------> Landry -------> Sutton

The slashes are guys I have grouped together, not a big difference yet between my gradings on them.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think this is especially true for DBs, as they have shown to be able to develop that area the best.  

As far as pass rush goes, free agency will be telling because these guys don't just grow on trees.  I think people may be over speculating by thinking that both McPhee and Young will be let go.  I'm still skeptical they cut both of these guys as that would leave them with just Floyd and Irving at the position.  Very inexperienced and risky to say the least, not to mention if you add another rookie to the rotation there.

For that reason, I'm going to go against popular opinion and say that at least one of McPhee/Young/Houston will be back, and possibly 2 of those 3.  That could eliminate the need to be locked in to a pass rusher at #8 and allow the team to just take the BPA or possibly trade back and accumulate some more picks.  

When you look at the FA options at OLB they aren't exactly the best this year.  Flowers will likely be re-signed by NE as they recently traded a draft pick for him, and Ansah/Lawrence will likely be either tagged/re-signed by their respective teams.  That leaves guys like Jeremiah Attaochu (missed 20 games past 2 seasons due to injuries), Trent Murphy (missed 2017 season due to ACL injury), Aaron Lynch (missed 18 games past 2 seasons due to injuries), James Harrison (will be 40) and Aldon Smith (no explanation needed).

Out of those guys I can probably see Lynch being signed as a depth guy due to his familiarity with Fangio and the defense.

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

WR is a stop watch position.

If Ridley runs in the 4.3-4.4 range then he will become a better value at 8 because he will have an elite physical tool.

He is never going to have incredible size or power he needs to be explosive in the test

I don't hate Ridley but Kevin White also ran a 4.3 and how'd that work out so far? 

23 minutes ago, G08 said:

Man... I am extremely hesitant to take a WR at 8, especially after the colossal bust that has been Kevin White.

I agree generally, BUT - 

If I have to pick a top 10 player at a position that lacks the "value" of LT or passrusher over the 20-25th at the premier spots I'm taking the better prospect 10/10 times. Give me a top 10 OG, ILB, or WR over an average to slightly above average LT or CB. Average is what you should be able to develop with 2nd and 3rd round picks or supplement with FA. The best prospects will be the ones making game changing plays (or in the case of OL consistently making positive pushes and giving up few blown plays). The end product is more important than the pick position. Getting average players at premier spots will get you fired fast. Of course if you're picking two elite or similar prospects then pick the premier position.

Just my opinion though.

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I agree generally, BUT - 

If I have to pick a top 10 player at a position that lacks the "value" of LT or passrusher over the 20-25th at the premier spots I'm taking the better prospect 10/10 times. Give me a top 10 OG, ILB, or WR over an average to slightly above average LT or CB. Average is what you should be able to develop with 2nd and 3rd round picks or supplement with FA. The best prospects will be the ones making game changing plays (or in the case of OL consistently making positive pushes and giving up few blown plays). The end product is more important than the pick position. Getting average players at premier spots will get you fired fast. Of course if you're picking two elite or similar prospects then pick the premier position.

Just my opinion though.

It's such a tough decision in my mind. I mean what exactly does a top 10 OG bring to the table, ya know? Ostensibly, you can find guards anywhere. What you can't find are dancing elephants that can lock down LT for the next 8-10 years. That's a premium to me. I feel the same about RTs... they aren't elite athletes IMO. They are your bigger, road grading bad-***** that crush it in the run game. Again, I think you can find those guys later on in the draft.

Looking at our roster, I'm taking a super athletic "freak" that can rush the passer before I am taking someone who could turn out to be the #5 LG in all of football.

If Marcus Davenport can bulk up to 270, 275 lbs and keep his athleticism? I mean holy hell I want that every single day and twice on Sunday

Edited by G08