2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

What is every ones opinion of drafting Marcus Davenport in the first and then if Tremaine Edmunds falls to the 2nd taking him also.

A future LB core of

OLB - Floyd

ILB - Trevathan

ILB - Edmunds

OLB - Davenport

Other way around.

35 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I really don't see either player getting to the 2nd, but it could be a heck of a LB core.

I think there is a chance Davenport does...I don't expect him to blow up the combine...good solid numbers but nothing out of this world.

Senior Bowl week.  this might be one of the more talent packed games in a while and my DVR is set.  QBs in the is game are sick.  Mayfield, Josh Allen, and Luke Faulk.  James Washington really will be focusing on him this game and practices.  Marcus Davenport one on one drills are going be a payday for this young man.  Brandon Parker NC A&T is on my radar.  Cohen's teammate so the bears have already had a look at him and his size is no joke.  Really also going to watching the interior OLine guys.  This is going to be a good week and the start of draft season.     

On January 21, 2018 at 10:52 AM, blkwdw13 said:

What is every ones opinion of drafting Marcus Davenport in the first and then if Tremaine Edmunds falls to the 2nd taking him also.

A future LB core of

OLB - Floyd

ILB - Trevathan

ILB - Edmunds

OLB - Davenport

I've said before, ILB is a big concern, and it's getting overshadowed by other positions. For all of the injuries this past year, the defense looked drastically worse when Trevethan was out of the lineup, and Trevethan has battled injuries for a while.

I'm not necessarily advocating taking an ILB like Roquon Smith at #8 (unless he's the best guy on the board),  but depth is sorely needed at that position.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

I've said before, ILB is a big concern, and it's getting overshadowed by other positions. For all of the injuries this past year, the defense looked drastically worse when Trevethan was out of the lineup, and Trevethan has battled injuries for a while.

I'm not necessarily advocating taking an ILB like Roquon Smith at #8 (unless he's the best guy on the board),  but depth is sorely needed at that position.

Assuming of course Smith is gone, but if either Rashaan Evans or Malik Jefferson make it to us in the 2nd I think it’d be difficult for us to pass. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Assuming of course Smith is gone, but if either Rashaan Evans or Malik Jefferson make it to us in the 2nd I think it’d be difficult for us to pass. 

I also think Navorro Bowman would be a great signing for us, though I think he probably ends up somewhere on a perceived contender. We should remember those great SF defenses had two MONSTERS at ILB with Bowman and Willis. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

I'm just going to talk about some random things here without any real direction, since I've been out of the loop for a bit.

Charles Leno... actually on the entire offensive line: I don't know if we'll have a clear picture of what that position group will look like until we get closer to the offseason program. OL changes so much with each staff. My guess is Leno and Long have the best chances of continuing to play where they have been playing. But again, I feel like we're going to just be grasping at straws here for a little while.

Orlando Brown: Kiper claims everybody he has talked to has Brown as a second rounder. Other people claim he's the best OT in the draft. I've seen his name floated here. What's he going to be? Is Brown a Cam Robinson, who can play left tackle if it's for a power run team, or is he a Jack Conklin, who goes really high and but still plays right tackle?

Calvin Ridley: the hit rate is so low on 1st round wide receivers that I cringe every time I hear him talked about to the Bears at #8, which is really, really often.

Corners: surprisingly a lot of mocks have the Bears going CB. This is another spot that I think we'll kind of be in the dark on for a few weeks. With Fangio coming back, I'm guessing Kyle Fuller's interest in returning is higher than it would have been otherwise.

14 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I'm just going to talk about some random things here without any real direction, since I've been out of the loop for a bit.

Charles Leno... actually on the entire offensive line: I don't know if we'll have a clear picture of what that position group will look like until we get closer to the offseason program. OL changes so much with each staff. My guess is Leno and Long have the best chances of continuing to play where they have been playing. But again, I feel like we're going to just be grasping at straws here for a little while.

Orlando Brown: Kiper claims everybody he has talked to has Brown as a second rounder. Other people claim he's the best OT in the draft. I've seen his name floated here. What's he going to be? Is Brown a Cam Robinson, who can play left tackle if it's for a power run team, or is he a Jack Conklin, who goes really high and but still plays right tackle?

Calvin Ridley: the hit rate is so low on 1st round wide receivers that I cringe every time I hear him talked about to the Bears at #8, which is really, really often.

Corners: surprisingly a lot of mocks have the Bears going CB. This is another spot that I think we'll kind of be in the dark on for a few weeks. With Fangio coming back, I'm guessing Kyle Fuller's interest in returning is higher than it would have been otherwise.

The question with Brown is his bend.  Being so tall he has to really bend his knees and sink his hips to fight a bull rush.  His length makes it next to impossible to get around him but nfl des will go right thru him if he doesnt have leverage.  So what we need to figure out is he jonathan ogden or Andre Smith.  

Im with you on wrs as much as i like Ridley, im gunshy and i imagine Pace is as well after Kevin white.  

CB is very interesting.  If Josh Jackson is there at 8 hes likely bpa and you feel really comfortable with him.  He has without question the best ball skills in the class as a converted wr, has size, length, straightline speed.  Some questions about his hip fluidity and ankle flexion which will have to be answered in the process, but biases aside i truly believe hes the 1 cb in the class you can put on one side and let him just eliminate that area for opposing qbs.  I dont know if hes a guy you have follow the best wr on the other team, but truthfully ive only seen a couple of those guys in my lifetime.

This is where I'm at right now:

The goal for me is to make Trubisky's life as easy as possible now, and going forward....We need WRs, and OL is a sneaky large need....there's a handful of really nice looking OL prospects right now... to the point where I think the dream scenario for us is trading with Buffalo (our 8 for their 21 and 22)

21, 22 + our 39 could give us a first 2 rounds of Crosby-OT, Kirk-WR, Wynn-OG

That's a pretty massive upgrade all around on the line and frees up a lot of money (since Sitton would get replaced)....

I'd look at a total draft something like

Round 1:
-21. Kirk-WR (should fit the mold of elite speed/agility measurables)

-22. Crosby-OT (Replaces Massie)

Round 2:
-Wynn-OG: (replaces sitton)

Round 4:
-Cappa-OT: He's a bit rough yet, but tons of potential.. Short term he'd be a reserve OL, Long term, he takes RT, Crosby takes LT.

-Antonio Calloway-WR: He should have been a first rounder on talent.. but damn there are some MASSIVE red flags... The talent makes this a gamble worth taking.

Round 5:
-Daurice Fountaine-WR: This guy was the best receiver on the field at the EW Shrine game and essentially uncoverable.

Round 6:
-Kalen Ballage-RB: A 230LB monster of a running back who's had a ton of success in the passing game as well...

Round 7:
-Nic Shimonek-QB: We need a backup to develop behind Trubs.... Falk from Washinton is a guy we talked to at the S Bowl, but Shimonek I think is a bit undervalued and more mobile.

This is fundamentally redesigning our offense....and would obviously require the vast majority of our FA money being spent defensively... Maybe a vet Center so we can boot Grasu to the curb as a backup, and bargain hunt at WR in FA. If Calloway panned out, that'd be 2x 1st round talent WRs paired with Cam Meredith, and a depth guy in Fountaine, while revamping our OL, and snagging a pass catching RB with the size to backup Howard as well as a rookie QB to develop behind Mitch.

42 minutes ago, Epyon said:

This is where I'm at right now:

The goal for me is to make Trubisky's life as easy as possible now, and going forward....We need WRs, and OL is a sneaky large need....there's a handful of really nice looking OL prospects right now... to the point where I think the dream scenario for us is trading with Buffalo (our 8 for their 21 and 22)

21, 22 + our 39 could give us a first 2 rounds of Crosby-OT, Kirk-WR, Wynn-OG

That's a pretty massive upgrade all around on the line and frees up a lot of money (since Sitton would get replaced)....

I'd look at a total draft something like

Round 1:
-21. Kirk-WR (should fit the mold of elite speed/agility measurables)

-22. Crosby-OT (Replaces Massie)

Round 2:
-Wynn-OG: (replaces sitton)

Round 4:
-Cappa-OT: He's a bit rough yet, but tons of potential.. Short term he'd be a reserve OL, Long term, he takes RT, Crosby takes LT.

-Antonio Calloway-WR: He should have been a first rounder on talent.. but damn there are some MASSIVE red flags... The talent makes this a gamble worth taking.

Round 5:
-Daurice Fountaine-WR: This guy was the best receiver on the field at the EW Shrine game and essentially uncoverable.

Round 6:
-Kalen Ballage-RB: A 230LB monster of a running back who's had a ton of success in the passing game as well...

Round 7:
-Nic Shimonek-QB: We need a backup to develop behind Trubs.... Falk from Washinton is a guy we talked to at the S Bowl, but Shimonek I think is a bit undervalued and more mobile.

This is fundamentally redesigning our offense....and would obviously require the vast majority of our FA money being spent defensively... Maybe a vet Center so we can boot Grasu to the curb as a backup, and bargain hunt at WR in FA. If Calloway panned out, that'd be 2x 1st round talent WRs paired with Cam Meredith, and a depth guy in Fountaine, while revamping our OL, and snagging a pass catching RB with the size to backup Howard as well as a rookie QB to develop behind Mitch.

The Bears still need a DE,OLB,ILB and a CB.  The Bears would basically draft nothing but offense for 2 straight years. The Eagles just won in the playoffs without Wentz because they had a defense. They had Wentz and still drafted a pass rusher in the first round. To win a championship you need to surround Trubisky with talent while having a defense.

2 hours ago, TB 1 said:

The Bears still need a DE,OLB,ILB and a CB.  The Bears would basically draft nothing but offense for 2 straight years. The Eagles just won in the playoffs without Wentz because they had a defense. They had Wentz and still drafted a pass rusher in the first round. To win a championship you need to surround Trubisky with talent while having a defense.

We already have a defense, what we don't have is an offense. Part of that is WRs but the other big factor was OL depth.... The proposed mock was basically going very heavily in on both of those areas of need in order to give Mitch the most help possible...  Furthermore, I'd say we're further away than the Eagles where for their turn around under Wentz, and I think we're still on a 2 year plan for serious contention regardless...  Pass rushers and Corners are two of the hardest positions to dump a rookie year 1... and I'd add that I don't particularly like the values of where we where sitting to get those positions anyhow...

@ 8 there really just shouldn't be an edge rusher worth taking... Davenport's hype train is getting derailed hard at the Senior Bowl, Clellin and Ferrell both went back to  Clemson, Key's issues are allegedly moving him down to a mid round long shot, and Chubb isn't making it past pick 6, even if there are 4 QBs taken.

For corners, I'm not sold on Josh Jackson that early unless he puts up elite measurables.... I don't think Minkah is a real corner, and Ward is too short.

Realistically pick 8 comes down to Quinton Nelson-OG, Vita Vea-DT, or Ridley-WR in my mind (with a potential for Tremaine Edmunds-ILB/OLB if you're buying the hype), and while I like all of those guys, It probably is a hair early for any of them, and the value is significantly better trading w/ Buffalo, imo.

Edited by Epyon

Being reported now that Josh Allen is going top 2--which falls in line with what I've been saying, that Cleveland covets him and will make him the top pick. I think it's very likely that 3 QBs and Barkley go in the top 7, which makes OL likely for us at 8. Unlikely we trade down.

16 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Being reported now that Josh Allen is going top 2--which falls in line with what I've been saying, that Cleveland covets him and will make him the top pick. I think it's very likely that 3 QBs and Barkley go in the top 7, which makes OL likely for us at 8. Unlikely we trade down.

For all the athletic tools, Allen is way too inaccurate, so I don't buy that he is the pick at #1.  I'm expecting Darnold to be the guy when all is said and done.

Hearing that Bills are high on Allen, so if he somehow slips to #8 that would be a prime trade down partner.

Edited by topwop1