2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

It's such a tough decision in my mind. I mean what exactly does a top 10 OG bring to the table, ya know? Ostensibly, you can find guards anywhere. What you can't find are dancing elephants that can lock down LT for the next 8-10 years. That's a premium to me. I feel the same about RTs... they aren't elite athletes IMO. They are your bigger, road grading bad-***** that crush it in the run game. Again, I think you can find those guys later on in the draft.

Looking at our roster, I'm taking a super athletic "freak" that can rush the passer before I am taking someone who could turn out to be the #5 LG in all of football.

If Marcus Davenport can bulk up to 270, 275 lbs and keep his athleticism? I mean holy hell I want that every single day and twice on Sunday

That is how RT's used to be, but over the past few years it seems as if they have slimmed down to become similar in size and skillset to LT's with the increase of smaller speed rushers these days.

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

It's such a tough decision in my mind. I mean what exactly does a top 10 OG bring to the table, ya know? Ostensibly, you can find guards anywhere. What you can't find are dancing elephants that can lock down LT for the next 8-10 years. That's a premium to me. I feel the same about RTs... they aren't elite athletes IMO. They are your bigger, road grading bad-***** that crush it in the run game. Again, I think you can find those guys later on in the draft.

Looking at our roster, I'm taking a super athletic "freak" that can rush the passer before I am taking someone who could turn out to be the #5 LG in all of football.

If Marcus Davenport can bulk up to 270, 275 lbs and keep his athleticism? I mean holy hell I want that every single day and twice on Sunday

FWIW Nelson is being touted as one of the best OG prospects to ever enter the draft in it's entire history.  That is some high praise, and the Bears now have the OL coach who coached him in college.  If I had a choice between Nelson and any of the other o-linemen, I would take Nelson hands down.  Even if he is a guard, he is a generational talent and it's hard to pass those guys up.

As for OLB I like Davenport but he had an average Senior Bowl week so  I'm a little wary with him now. Edmunds is also very intriguing.  I want to see how these guys test out in Indy and how FA goes first before pigeon holing the Bears to any postion at 8.

Edited by topwop1

Just now, topwop1 said:

FWIW Nelson is being touted as one of the best OG prospects to ever enter the draft in it's entire history.  That is some high praise, and the Bears now have the OL coach who coached him in college.  If I had a choice between Nelson and and of the other o-linemen, I would take Nelson.

I like Davenport but he had an average Senior Bowl week. Edmunds is also very intriguing.  I want to see how these guys test out in Indy and how FA goes first before pigeno holing the Bears to any postion at 8.

For sure, I'm extremely curious to see Davenport's 40 and cone. I wonder if he has the type of bend that is needed to be an elite force. I'm pretty sure Edmunds will have it, so with him it's more his true height/weight/length.

I think players' ages bother me more than most. Kyle long is already 29 and busted. Floyd is already gonna be 26 at the start of next season and is still quite unknown, imo. Ditto with Kevin White, though to a much more extreme degree. All were drafted as older players. Gives me a bit of pause with Cal. 

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just wonder if Pace decides to go all in on the offense. Which would benefit his hand picked QB and his hand picked coach.

I am starting to lean this way as well.  You have a 2nd year QB and a young Head Coach who's background is in offense.  For both of them to succeed, and in turn for you to keep your job, then you need to ensure they are given everything they need and more.

The re-signing of Fangio was huge.  If you can keep a top-10 defense in tact by re-signing guys like Fuller, Prince, CJones and adding a solid vet or two at LB then you have the makings of another solid unit.  Add some developmental guys in rounds 4 and on and let them go to work.

O-Line Round 1

WR Round 2

Defense

Defense

WR/RB/Defense

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I am starting to lean this way as well.  You have a 2nd year QB and a young Head Coach who's background is in offense.  For both of them to succeed, and in turn for you to keep your job, then you need to ensure they are given everything they need and more.

The re-signing of Fangio was huge.  If you can keep a top-10 defense in tact by re-signing guys like Fuller, Prince, CJones and adding a solid vet or two at LB then you have the makings of another solid unit.  Add some developmental guys in rounds 4 and on and let them go to work.

O-Line Round 1

WR Round 2

Defense

Defense

WR/RB/Defense

On the Tribune Podcast they were talking about how with Fangio back you have some certainty about what the defense is going to be and can now invest in the offense. They said that Fangio was looking elsewhere partly because he knew he was not going to get a big investment in the defense in coming years.

Something to think about.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

On the Tribune Podcast they were talking about how with Fangio back you have some certainty about what the defense is going to be and can now invest in the offense. They said that Fangio was looking elsewhere partly because he knew he was not going to get a big investment in the defense in coming years.

Something to think about.

I'm not sure how they can say that when we are potentially going to lose 3 EDGE rushers this off-season.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I'm not sure how they can say that when we are potentially going to lose 3 EDGE rushers this off-season.

I think they were assuming free agency would be used to patch the OLB and CB spot.

But if you are Pace and the defense takes another positive step, but the offense only moves to mediocre, even if you win more games that still makes you look bad after you invested at QB and got a new offensive coach.

It is probably better for him to be 8-8 with a decent offense, than 8-8 with a great defense.

Just now, WindyCity said:

I think they were assuming free agency would be used to patch the OLB and CB spot.

But if you are Pace and the defense takes another positive step, but the offense only moves to mediocre, even if you win more games that still makes you look bad after you invested at QB and got a new offensive coach.

It is probably better for him to be 8-8 with a decent offense, than 8-8 with a great defense.

I don't know, man. Pace needs to win games and win games ASAP. If you've got talent at #8 that would help make a good defense great, you have to do that. It gives your offense the ability to learn at their own pace (no pun intended) rather than putting additional pressure on them to be great, or a top 10-15 scoring unit.

We have to remember, this offense takes at LEAST 3 years before you really start hitting your stride. Lean on your defense and spoonfeed this offense to everyone.

Just now, G08 said:

I don't know, man. Pace needs to win games and win games ASAP. If you've got talent at #8 that would help make a good defense great, you have to do that. It gives your offense the ability to learn at their own pace (no pun intended) rather than putting additional pressure on them to be great, or a top 10-15 scoring unit.

We have to remember, this offense takes at LEAST 3 years before you really start hitting your stride. Lean on your defense and spoonfeed this offense to everyone.

The offense may take time to master, but having success can be accelerated by adding talent.

The great defense is great, but it doesn't solve the problem of investing a ton in offense and not getting the return that people expect.

I am not advocating serious reaches, but maybe it puts Nelson ahead of an OLB or even Ridley over someone on defense. The optics of Nagy and Trubisky struggling out of the gate would be another body blow to Pace.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

The optics of Nagy and Trubisky struggling out of the gate would be another body blow to Pace.

I don't really agree here, this is going to be about wins and losses. I don't think Nagy/Trubisky will be under fire if MT10 isn't setting the league on fire while we are winning games.

Free Agency is going to answer a ton of questions for us. I don't see impact pass rushers there, but I do think Kyle Fuller at minimum is getting tagged and we might go after another corner or bring Amukamara back on a modest 3 year deal.

I don't see anything wrong with going EDGE in round 1, and then spending picks 2, 4, 4 on offense. WR in round 2, get a swing tackle and OG in both those rounds and rock and roll. This is all without even knowing what our team thinks of Jordan Morgan:

I look at Jordan Morgan today and I hate to make comparisons to players, but we took a guy in New Orleans, Jahri Evans, who ended up being a great player from Bloomsburg. So, I think you believe what you see on tape. You have conviction on players. I’ve said this before that I feel like when we have a consensus in the building on a player, those decisions are fun to make and exciting to make and I’m really excited to see what some of these guys do on this stage, because we’re confident in their abilities.”

50 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just wonder if Pace decides to go all in on the offense. Which would benefit his hand picked QB and his hand picked coach.

Pace went all in on offense in the 2017 draft as he drafted one defensive player. The Eagles by the way found a way to use their first 2 picks  in the 2017 draft on a Pass rusher and a CB in the first 2 rounds after drafting Wentz in 2016. Winning organizations can be good on both sides of the ball.