2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

-I know best player available will play into things, but this is what I would like to do, or look to do, in each round of the draft. 

1[8] Defense [OLB or CB] or Quenton Nelson

It seems like the defensive talent is going to be better at 8 than the offensive talent. There are no WRs that I would consider good value at 8 and the OTs don't jump out at me either, Williams [injuries], McGlinchey [better at RT], Brown .

1. Fitzpatrick
2. Edmunds
3. Davenport

Nelson is one of the players who may be there that would move me off defense.

2[39] WR

More and more people have started to state that this draft might not be top heavy at WR, but is super strong through the 2nd and 4th rounds. I think this is the best spot for the Bears to get a long term building block for the WR core. Free agency has lots of options to patch the WR core and improve it with solid veterans, but this is where I think they can find a long term starter.

1. Washginton
2. Kirk
3. Moore
4. Miller

4. Other Defensive Position [CB or OLB]

If the Bears take OLB in the 1st they should look to take CB here and if they take a CB in the 1st they should get back to OLB here. The Bears need to add 2 players that can contribute year 1 on defense and that is at CB and OLB. This pick should still provide them with a chance to cycle back and get a player that can at least be a primary backup.

4. OT

I think this is the last point where the Bears can get an OT that can at least compete with Massie and be the swing OT. If they wait any longer there is a good chance that the OT they pick is not going to be playable this season. I am relying on Heistand to take a 4th round pick and at least have them at a competent level in 2017, hopefully competing, and then for sure competing in 2019. We saw at the Senior Bowl that there are some interesting small school OTs that can be developed.

5. WR

I think it is important that we get out of this draft with 2 young WRs that we can star the development process with. This pick probably does not mean a lot for 2018, but you need to get guys in the developmental pipeline for later in 2018 when the injuries start and into 2019. 

I would look for someone here with elite physical tools that I can develop and not push onto the field too quickly.

6. DL 

The Bears need more DL depth. Hicks plays way too many snaps and Goldman plays too many as well. They need to add a least 1 big body that can play some heavy run downs and in short yardage. John Rodgers has had a lot of success developing young DLmen while with the Bears, Goldman, RRH, even helping Hicks become a star, might as well see what he can do with another big body.

7. QB

This pick rarely turns into anything and I think the Bears should take a flyer on a QB to see what Nagy and Helfrich can do. Good chance this pick turns into nothing, but a QB has more upside value than another position. Take a QB with some physical tools and see what happens with some time on the scout team and in the QB incubator.

I'm a huge fan of getting an elite athlete at QB late. Even if they never play, they give a practice squad a guy to practice against when you're prepping for Newton, Wilson, Mariota, Dak, etc. If you can develop them for a year or two they might at least be able to use their athletic gifts and the system to be a fair stopgap if Tru needs a week or two to heal from a bad hit or something. If you are lucky, you can trade them for a haul later. JT Barrett is the guy I have been toying with late. Right now I feel like he is a 5th rounder. He also is athletic enough he might be able to transition to WR if he cannot be a backup QB. 

I'm usually against trading future picks, but I think if I could trade a pick from 2019 for a similar one this year I'd do it. Trade our 2019 2nd and 2018 5th for CLE's second 2nd round pick (3rd of round) or DEN or OAKs for example (as they likely assume we would be picking early next year as well). We then have 2 picks in the top 41, and Pace could do his seemingly routine 2nd round trade-back. Now maybe he only did that to recoup his losses from trading up, IDK, but I'm not betting on us trading up this time.

What do you guys do in this scenario?

1. Browns- Josh Allen.....QB

2. Giants- Sam Darnold.....QB

3. Colts- Saquon Barkley.....RB

4. Browns- Minkah Fitzpatrick.....DB

5. Broncos- Quenton Nelson......OL

6. Jets- Josh Rosen...........QB

7. Bucs- Bradley Chubb......DE

8. Bears- ?

Dors Pace go Connor Williams to solidify OT? Does he weigh Tremaine Edmunds vs Marcus Davenport? Denzel Ward is probably BPA.

2 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

8. Bears- ?

Dors Pace go Connor Williams to solidify OT? Does he weigh Tremaine Edmunds vs Marcus Davenport? Denzel Ward is probably BPA.

I'd see if anyone was interested in trading up a few spots, otherwise I'd go after whomever Pace ranks as the best pass rusher. Edmunds should be a good one and yet another versatile piece for Fangio to use.

6 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

8. Bears- ?

I don't think Allen goes #1 but in any case if this were to occur then my first inclination would be to try and trade down for a team eager to draft a QB like Mayfield/Jackson.

If there are no willing partners then gun to my head I would go with Connor Williams (if health checks out).

Edited by topwop1

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Trade Down > Williams or other OT > Key or other rusher > CB or S >  WR

With his character concerns I don't think I see Key even being on Pace's board.

Massie graded out as an average tackle last season (#39 in the league) so I'm not so sure he's a dead-man walking.

McPhee is likely gone, Young is old and beat up, and Floyd is coming off a torn knee ligament. Our #1 need right now, IMO, is pass rusher.

Edited by G08
  • Like 1

Didn't know about the red flags on Key

I want OT in round 1 based more on projecting what's going to be available in round 2-at least based on mock draft sims (salt, grain!)-than on need.  It just seems like all the OT talent is gone early, where there seem to be more pass rushers available in rd 2 on most big boards.  

18 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Didn't know about the red flags on Key

I want OT in round 1 based more on projecting what's going to be available in round 2-at least based on mock draft sims (salt, grain!)-than on need.  It just seems like all the OT talent is gone early, where there seem to be more pass rushers available in rd 2 on most big boards.  

Honestly I think with Hiestand coming back, we should use his talents and find OL with athleticism and work ethic and let him coach 'em up.

A lot of the beat writers have said they think Pace picks a ton of offensive talent in the draft. Fangio seems to be able to keep the defense humming without any elite talent so far. I see OL in the first or a trade down scenario. 

3 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

8. Bears- ?

stock answer is the trade down with the unicorn fairy.

Edmunds and Davenport are all hype at this point to me.  Presuming Arden Key checks out off the field you take Key.  He is a truly special talent if he can pass the combine drug test.   

22 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

A lot of the beat writers have said they think Pace picks a ton of offensive talent in the draft. Fangio seems to be able to keep the defense humming without any elite talent so far. I see OL in the first or a trade down scenario. 

4/6 top 2 round picks have been on offense.

Not a huge sample size and QB throws that off because you have to pick them early.

I really think the talent of the draft for us is going to be on defense at 8. I have a hard time with these OTs over a CB or OLB.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

4/6 top 2 round picks have been on offense.

Not a huge sample size and QB throws that off because you have to pick them early.

I really think the talent of the draft for us is going to be on defense at 8. I have a hard time with these OTs over a CB or OLB.

Give me a pass rusher at 8 and one of Kirk or Washington at 39 and I'll do backflips.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

Give me a pass rusher at 8 and one of Kirk or Washington at 39 and I'll do backflips.

I think based on value right now that those are the best places to fill the needs.

I know that would mean we are somewhat ignoring the OL, but that might be the case this offseason. We are more able to live with Massie than we are with the no bodies at WR and OLB.

I just do not see a way to make a real upgrade at OT without 8 or 39.