2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

For a team as bereft in playmakers as ours an interior OL in the top 10 is so uninteresting to me. Especially since we are hopefully not picking in the top 10 again for a long time.

Guard isn’t tackle. It’s the easiest OL position to fill with quality outside the first round, and maybe the easiest position on the field outside of K/P to do so. Looking at the top 20 paid guards in the league in terms of AAV as of today, so presumably the best of the best, do you know how many were 1st round picks? FOUR (Ziegler, DeCastro, Long & Iupati). 20%. The vast majority came from rounds 2-3. A guard in the top 10 might be a great player, but it seems like a gross misuse of the valuable asset that is a top 10 draft slot. 

Yeah personally I would love to see us shift Leno inside to OG and draft a quality LT prospect...you then get better at protecting Trubisky and more athletic up front overall.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Yeah personally I would love to see us shift Leno inside to OG and draft a quality LT prospect...you then get better at protecting Trubisky and more athletic up front overall.

If HH thinks Leno can be an effective guard or even RT now that he’s more seasoned than when he played there as a green 7th rounder because of the shift to more zone blocking then I’m all good with taking a LT. Just not a guard. A franchise LT is worth a top 10 pick. A guard would need to be Alan Faneca to justify it to me. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I just feel Leno is too weak to anchor against big DTs, he is an athlete but I'm just not confident he can hold up for Trubisky to have a clean pocket to step up in.

14 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I just feel Leno is too weak to anchor against big DTs, he is an athlete but I'm just not confident he can hold up for Trubisky to have a clean pocket to step up in.

I don't feel his anchor has seemed any weaker than most OL...I don't think it would be a major struggle for him.

I am in agreement that OG is not as valuable a position as CB.

But if I am choosing between an average starting CB and an elite OG then please give me the elite OG, because average players at any position can be found anywhere.

I would not take Nelson over Fitzpatrick. Those are both blue chip players and one plays a harder position to find. But I do not like the idea of passing on a blue chip player to take a worse player at another position.

This discussion came up on Spiegel and Parkins yesterday and it centered around the fact that the Bears are unlikely to "FIX" some of the positions of need on the team. They will be able to address them, but not fix many of the areas that the Bears need to be addressed.

Looking at free agency, the draft and where the Bears will be positioned in both areas it is pretty clear that we are going to be improving, but hardly solidifying some areas.

OLB

Free Agency: Bad

Trent Murphy coming off an ACL, Aaaron Lynch relclamation project, Jeremiah Attouchu upside swing, there just is not a lot here.

Draft: Mediocre

Outside of Chubb I do not see a lot of 1st round or top 10 pass rush talents and while the 2nd round has some interesting players [Davenport, Hubbard etc] it is not like those guys can be counted on to come in and start day 1 and provide a rush.

This really seems like a position where the Bears are going to have to patch a unit together and hope that Floyd takes a step. I am also starting to see Willie Young retained just so they have someone who has sacked a QB a lot across from Floyd.

WR

Free Agency: Mediocre

With news that Watkins would be tagged and Adams re-signing this group took a big hit and seems full of upgrades for the Bears but hardly any impact players or guys who are going to win 1 on 1 a lot.

Draft: Deep but not top heavy

There does not appear to be a top 10 WR in the class and while there are some strong options down into the 2nd and 3rd round that could be big upgrades the 8th pick doe snot seem in play.

This is another position where it appears the Bears are going to upgrade, but not really "fix". I would be prepared for a unit that is made up of 3-4 #2 WRs and we will see what happens. I do not see a #1 WR to be had this offseason.

OT

Outside of Chris Hubbard I see nothing to get excited about or spend money on and I am not convinced Hubbard is a marked upgrade over Massie.

Draft: Solid

I am not sure about the #8 pick, but the addition of Heistand could put McGlinchey in play. There are a number of 2nd round OTs that also interest me and at minimum could come in and compete day 1.

CB

Free Agency: Good

A number of very good options [Butler, Johnson] that should hit the market and that the Bears could easily be involved in. If they choose to spend at the position they could pair on of those guys with Fuller and be in great shape even dominant at the position.

Draft: Good

Fitzpatrick is a must pick for me, Jackson and Ward would be solid picks at 8, and their is big/physical press man CB depth into the 2nd round pd the draft as well.

1. I do not see anyway we are going to drastically improve at OLB or WR. Improve, yes, but more of an upgrade than a fix.

2. CB is a position I think that the Bears can really build something by either keeping their guys or landing a big name.

3. OL is an area I think would do a ton for Mitch and there are options.

1 hour ago, Rogerthat said:

I don't think Leno can play other positions.  He is a LT only.  The bears tried him at other spot when he was young and LT was the only thing that worked. 

Your talking about a 7th round rookie when he was tried elsewhere...guys develop.

9 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Your talking about a 7th round rookie when he was tried elsewhere...guys develop.

This is true, and we’re also talking about one of the top OL coaches getting to work with Morgan who was an athletic upside small school selection last year. If anyone can make him into a legit player it’s Hiestand. I don’t think you can discount the impact of getting a top OL coach like that in the door. 

I think the story with Leno is that he was just soooo bad at RT. He said he felt very uncomfortable there mechanically. I'm sure with reps that can be fixed but why meds with a good thing? FWIW PFF ranked him as the #14 tackle last season. That's not bad at all. 

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I think the story with Leno is that he was just soooo bad at RT. He said he felt very uncomfortable there mechanically. I'm sure with reps that can be fixed but why meds with a good thing? FWIW PFF ranked him as the #14 tackle last season. That's not bad at all. 

Leno is a good player who just got a long term deal. I’d be shocked if they even considered moving him even if he can play another position, especially to do so with a draft pick. You’re creating more questions with that. 

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This discussion came up on Spiegel and Parkins yesterday and it centered around the fact that the Bears are unlikely to "FIX" some of the positions of need on the team. They will be able to address them, but not fix many of the areas that the Bears need to be addressed.

Looking at free agency, the draft and where the Bears will be positioned in both areas it is pretty clear that we are going to be improving, but hardly solidifying some areas.

OLB

Trent Murphy coming off an ACL, Aaaron Lynch relclamation project, Jeremiah Attouchu upside swing, there just is not a lot here.

Draft: Mediocre

Outside of Chubb I do not see a lot of 1st round or top 10 pass rush talents and while the 2nd round has some interesting players [Davenport, Hubbard etc] it is not like those guys can be counted on to come in and start day 1 and provide a rush.

This really seems like a position where the Bears are going to have to patch a unit together and hope that Floyd takes a step. I am also starting to see Willie Young retained just so they have someone who has sacked a QB a lot across from Floyd.

WR

Free Agency: Mediocre

With news that Watkins would be tagged and Adams re-signing this group took a big hit and seems full of upgrades for the Bears but hardly any impact players or guys who are going to win 1 on 1 a lot.

Draft: Deep but not top heavy

There does not appear to be a top 10 WR in the class and while there are some strong options down into the 2nd and 3rd round that could be big upgrades the 8th pick doe snot seem in play.

This is another position where it appears the Bears are going to upgrade, but not really "fix". I would be prepared for a unit that is made up of 3-4 #2 WRs and we will see what happens. I do not see a #1 WR to be had this offseason.

OT

Outside of Chris Hubbard I see nothing to get excited about or spend money on and I am not convinced Hubbard is a marked upgrade over Massie.

Draft: Solid

I am not sure about the #8 pick, but the addition of Heistand could put McGlinchey in play. There are a number of 2nd round OTs that also interest me and at minimum could come in and compete day 1.

CB

Free Agency: Good

A number of very good options [Butler, Johnson] that should hit the market and that the Bears could easily be involved in. If they choose to spend at the position they could pair on of those guys with Fuller and be in great shape even dominant at the position.

Draft: Good

Fitzpatrick is a must pick for me, Jackson and Ward would be solid picks at 8, and their is big/physical press man CB depth into the 2nd round pd the draft as well.

1. I do not see anyway we are going to drastically improve at OLB or WR. Improve, yes, but more of an upgrade than a fix.

2. CB is a position I think that the Bears can really build something by either keeping their guys or landing a big name.

3. OL is an area I think would do a ton for Mitch and there are options.

The problem is OLB/pass rush is a must have position in the NFL with all the passing in the modern game.  This also goes back to did Pace make the right picks with Floyd and White as they were both top 10 picks. They have both had a hard time staying healthy.