2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

On 1/7/2018 at 12:12 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

Yeah im not a fan of this qb class.  I want to see qbs play there best football before they declare and that isnt the case with any of these guys, except maybe Rosen, who i think is an Alex Smith type prospect.  Guys last year really looked good in their last years and everybody hated on that class

This, everyone thinks next years class is always better. I said last year that this class was overrated. Trubisky and Watson are better than Rosen and Darnold. I still like Mahomes more than any of this year's QBs and it isn't even close.

On 1/7/2018 at 3:28 PM, Sugashane said:

This, everyone thinks next years class is always better. I said last year that this class was overrated. Trubisky and Watson are better than Rosen and Darnold. I still like Mahomes more than any of this year's QBs and it isn't even close.

Yea after seeing how everything played out in CFB this year I’m even more satisfied with our choice of Trubisky over any of them. Had we started Glennon all year we’d probably be picking in the top 3 too. 

• Like 1

I read as many mock drafts as I can.  SbNation Rotoworld CBS sports a lot of places are giving Connor Williams 1st round buzz.  I am missing something with Williams? is this all based on his 2016 tape and not on 2017 tape?  Does he deserve the buzz and the injury this year is the reason for the bad play?  To me he looked bad before the injury and he is a day two guy. 

2 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

I read as many mock drafts as I can.  SbNation Rotoworld CBS sports a lot of places are giving Connor Williams 1st round buzz.  I am missing something with Williams? is this all based on his 2016 tape and not on 2017 tape?  Does he deserve the buzz and the injury this year is the reason for the bad play?  To me he looked bad before the injury and he is a day two guy. 

Williams was widely considered the top OT in this class before he was hurt early last year. Among everyone I have seen of any note he remains a consensus top 20 talent. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Williams was widely considered the top OT in this class before he was hurt early last year. Among everyone I have seen of any note he remains a consensus top 20 talent. 

I have seen a couple of mock where the bears take him.  I know he was a consensus top OT had his stock killed because of the poor play in 2017 than injured.  I feel scouts have one take on Connor Williams and the media/draftnik's have another

Edited by Rogerthat

What about?

Leno-Whitehair-Sitton-Long-Nelson 

With a 4th round Center redshirt

Whitehair has played well at center but still too many missnaps. Sitton did well when he filled in, still under contract ,and  gives us more depth if any injuries occur.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hitman52 said:

What about?

Whitehair has played well at center but still too many missnaps. Sitton did well when he filled in, still under contract ,and  gives us more depth if any injuries occur.

There were a few bad shotgun snaps earlier in the season but the bad few late in the year were just Mitch missing the ball. The snaps themselves were fine. That’s a Hiestand issue IMO, not a let’s move a potential 10-year fixture off the pivot issue. 

1 hour ago, Hitman52 said:

What about?

That is the OL I suggested yesterday, except I had Long at LG and Whitehair at RG since generally the LG needs to be more athletic.

Sitton would need to get to work now, but I would be fine with : Leno - Long - Whitehair - Sitton - Nelson. That is a damn stout OL and I think the snaps were abnormalities. If he would have the issues next year then we look at moving him out to RG, as Sitton will be gone in 2019, and we only need to replace a center. Sounds like a solid plan IMO.

10 minutes ago, Blaize4488 said:

With Nagy and Hiestand in place, it's hard to envision them passing on Nelson if he's there. I'd be cool with it, even though OG isn't great value there 

The coach-player connection is an easy one to make but that doesn’t mean we go that way. Norm Chow in Tennessee was supposed to assure that the Titans took Matt Leinart too but they took Vince Young instead. Hiestand may see Long and Sitton both playing at a really high level. Or may like Whitehair at OG far more than at C. Or he may value McGlinchey higher at the pro level. Or he may look at Connor Williams and see the next great OT even though he hasn’t worked with him personally (remember ND and Texas played in both 2015 and 2016). Or he could love a guy in a lower round where positional value on interior OL is far better. Hiestand in the fold reasonably assures we should get a great evaluation of prospective OL additions in addition to assessment of the current roster players and FA. It doesn’t assure anything beyond that. 

• Like 1

One thing is cor sure.  The bears will have all the info they need on McGlinchey and nelson.  It would make a ton of sense if you could trade down and grab both somehow.  Everything i hear keeps saying Nelson is OG only so that lowers his value.  If the bears came out of fa with 2 good wrs, and out of the draft saying our right side of our line is set for the foseeable future, id be pretty happy with that.