2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

41 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

On the Tribune Podcast they were talking about how with Fangio back you have some certainty about what the defense is going to be and can now invest in the offense. They said that Fangio was looking elsewhere partly because he knew he was not going to get a big investment in the defense in coming years.

Something to think about.

The problem is the defense is not as good as people think. They lack depth at important positions. Still need starter level players at DE,OLB,CB, and ILB.

2 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

Pace went all in on offense in the 2017 draft as he drafted one defensive player. The Eagles by the way found a way to use their first 2 picks  in the 2017 draft on a Pass rusher and a CB in the first 2 rounds after drafting Wentz in 2016. Winning organizations can be good on both sides of the ball.

Exactly, we aren't set on defense by any means. Adding solid talent to rush the passer is always good.

Just now, TB 1 said:

The problem is the defense is not as good as people think. They lack depth at important positions. Still need starter level players at DE,OLB,CB, and ILB.

I'm cautiously optimistic about 5T... Hicks/Bullard/Robertson-Harris isn't a bad rotation in my football world.

OLB I agree 110%

CB I agree as well, but I think Fuller returns and we might throw some change at Amukamara and draft someone later on. We still have Deiondre Hall too.

ILB I think we are okay, but again that's a position we could address later on as well

51 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I am starting to lean this way as well.  You have a 2nd year QB and a young Head Coach who's background is in offense.  For both of them to succeed, and in turn for you to keep your job, then you need to ensure they are given everything they need and more.

The re-signing of Fangio was huge.  If you can keep a top-10 defense in tact by re-signing guys like Fuller, Prince, CJones and adding a solid vet or two at LB then you have the makings of another solid unit.  Add some developmental guys in rounds 4 and on and let them go to work.

O-Line Round 1

WR Round 2

Defense

Defense

WR/RB/Defense

I am o.k. if the Bears invest their first 2 picks at OL and WR but what I oppose is just ignoring one side of the ball for entire drafts. The Bears need to improve on both sides of the ball and win games.

21 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

No one would deny that.

But there is more incentive for Pace to have a big offensive turnaround than anything else.

He has staked his career on building an offense with his 2 biggest decisions.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

No one would deny that.

But there is more incentive for Pace to have a big offensive turnaround than anything else.

You've got to see the long game, though. He's got 3 years to get the offense humming, if he's built an elite defense to sync up with when our offense is supposed to take off, God willing, it's Super Bowl.

Just now, G08 said:

You've got to see the long game, though. He's got 3 years to get the offense humming, if he's built an elite defense to sync up with when our offense is supposed to take off, God willing, it's Super Bowl.

They don’t have 3 years, we know that is not the way the NFL works. If we still have questions about Nagy and Trubisky in 3 years everyone is fired.

Progress will be expected next season. 

An elite defense is great, but the offense will dictate how good the Bears are in 2018 and 2019.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think we may be looking at this too analytically because our jobs and livelihoods are not at stack.

I know in my job if I have one part of my job that is a horrendous mess I would do whatever it took to fix that as quickly as possible.

I mean it's about building the best team. I hope nobody is expecting to see a top 5 offense next season, right off the bat. Nagy is going to take some lumps, Trubisky is going to make some mistakes, and really Nagy might look at our weapons and tell Pace this is going to take at least one to two years before we get the right guys in place.

Haven't seen it mentioned here, but roto world had this... 

Ridley apparently posted off his official, verified Instagram account responding to a question about who the Bears should draft with "Cal" (as in himself). 

So apparently his two tweets from back when we drafted Eddie Jackson weren't just about Jackson, he legit wants to be here

21 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Ridley apparently posted off his official, verified Instagram account responding to a question about who the Bears should draft with "Cal" (as in himself). 

So apparently his two tweets from back when we drafted Eddie Jackson weren't just about Jackson, he legit wants to be here

Man... it had better be in a trade down!

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Man... it had better be in a trade down!

I'd still be willing to take him at 8, on the expectation that his combine is  going to be as good as I think it will be (4.35 - 4.39  in the 40, with a strong vertical and 3 cone)....

That said, even really liking Ridley as a prospect, I am having a bit of trouble making a mock I really like with Ridley in the first... especially one without a trade.

With a trade(S), however, I feel like there are much better scenarios for a Ridley draft.... The problem in my mind is that the Edge Class feels weak barring a few top end prospects like Davenport and we need an Edge guy badly. Beyond Edge, I'd add that there are a few really great looking OL prospects but those will dry up before the 3rd, and after that it's some developmental long shots like Kappa and Parker.... Finally a pick in the late 2nd/early 3rd round range would be about right for DJ Chark (who I think, along with Ridley could be two very deadly speed threats)..

I want at least 2 more picks in the first 3 rounds this draft, in order to really make most of my favorite mocks work.

7 hours ago, G08 said:

It's such a tough decision in my mind. I mean what exactly does a top 10 OG bring to the table, ya know? Ostensibly, you can find guards anywhere. What you can't find are dancing elephants that can lock down LT for the next 8-10 years. That's a premium to me. I feel the same about RTs... they aren't elite athletes IMO. They are your bigger, road grading bad-***** that crush it in the run game. Again, I think you can find those guys later on in the draft.

Looking at our roster, I'm taking a super athletic "freak" that can rush the passer before I am taking someone who could turn out to be the #5 LG in all of football.

If Marcus Davenport can bulk up to 270, 275 lbs and keep his athleticism? I mean holy hell I want that every single day and twice on Sunday

A top 5 OG allows you to open lanes for the RB and have a much better pocket for the QB. Look at how many times we were shut down at the goal line earlier this year. They got quick pressure in the middle and we couldn't get the 1-2 yards we needed for a TD in 6 (IIRC) tries. And with so many teams moving their best pass rusher, I feel like the LT/RT line is becoming blurred. It isn't the same as when LT lined up against the LT each play, it is a chess game and RTs need to be damn good pass blockers or they are a huge liability IMO. This is especially true with Trubisky, as he likes to get outside and make plays on the move. Massie sometimes was unable to give him the second needed to get out there and extend the play.

As for the super athletic freak that can rush the passer, if that person really develops you have Merriman, Ansah, etc. That is worth more than any OG, IDC if it is Larry Allen. If that athletic freak only turns out to be Nick Perry, then pass me the Sitton/Yanda/Scherff.

If Davenport can be that consistent threat to QBs then by all means, I'd love to have him in Chicago. I just haven't seen much of him outside of highlights, Senior Bowl notes, etc.

5 hours ago, Epyon said:

He walks in and is ther number one immediately and unquestionably, has Trubisky (who likely has REALLY been talked up by Jackson), a solid young pair of RBs to keep defenses honest, and a new HC who was able to light a serious fire in KC's offense the games he called. There is a lot to like. And of course the higher you're drafted the more you're paid. lol

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

No one would deny that.

Pace needs to win. Nobody really cares whether that happens because the offense is great, the defense is great, or both. Fangio’s defense is good now, but only good. There are really just 2 differences between what he had with his GREAT defense in SF and what he has here now: one GREAT pass rusher and excellent ILB play. If we can take our defense from good to GREAT then our offense going from subpar (16.5 ppg) to even average (21.5 ppg) then we are right in the thick of it. 

To me, we can’t make that step on defense predominantly in FA because there is no elite pass rusher there. We can largely get the offense from subpar to average in FA and with the addition of Nagy. 

G08 is right - it’s about making the best team, not making the best offensive team. To me the best thing we can add to improve the team at 8 is going to be a guy who hits as a great pass rusher. Aldon Smith was a “reach” at 7 but he was a monster on the field. Is there a guy in this draft who could be Smith? Is it Davenport, or Landry? If so and he’s there at 8 then IMO you have to take him. 

• Like 1