Grade the 2023 draft

deeluxx3

What grade do you give our 2023 draft?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give our 2023 draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It’s a really tough draft to grade. I voted a C. In a vacuum, I don’t really have complaints about any of the values. Skoronski is a good football player that should be a quality starter wherever we plug him in. The Levis debate is clear, but given all of the reports of us trying to get back into the first on Thursday, he genuinely seemed to have been at the top of our board. Spears and Whyle are both really well though of by draft analysts that I really respect.

But, unfortunately, you can’t really just look at it in a vacuum. I’m not going to ramble here because I’ve made a version of this post probably a dozen times this offseason. But this draft is a clear indication of a rebuild. On a team with a QB coming up on his 35th birthday and a RB that will turn 30 during the season. And they combine to eat up $45 million in cap room. You can’t half *** a rebuild. You either need to be trying to win, or you need to be trying to put yourself in a position to win in the future. And the combination of this roster, this free agency, and this draft, is a sign of a team that isn’t willing to commit in either direction.

I agree with above. My biggest problem is trying to do a half way rebuild. In theory it sounds good but it really is gonna slow everything down in the long haul. We need to just trade Tannehill, Henry, and Byard and get what we can for next year. We have 4 years of Levis and we are about to waste 1 year of that behind Tannehill. 4 years of a RB whose knee probably won't last for a second contract. I do like our 2 TEs now. And I think our oline is 100x better than last year barring injuries. If we can get Marvin Harrison Jr. next year and continue to add for Levis maybe it can be alright. But man oh man does Levis need to hit or it's gonna be bad around here

• Like 1

yeah, pretty much echoing what everyone is saying here about the quality of the players being generally good but the continued disdain for the WR position plus the weird not-rebuild limbo we're in giving it a sour feel. i would genuinely feel better about this draft if we just trade tannehill before the season starts and roll with levis. the only pause i have is he has goddamn nobody to throw to.

It’s tough because, like others mentioned, it feels like the draft of a rebuilding team that’s not fully in rebuild mold.

There’s somewhat some mix feelings because of positional value but I think the Skoronski pick was a A+ whether he’s a T or G. I’m not a fan of Levis and would’ve preferred we not traded up for him but I can’t fault them for making a move for a QB they view as 1st round talent. Spears is a really good back who should step in right away and be our 3rd down, change of pace back. Whyle should fill into the Hooper role sooner than later and form a nice 1-2 punch at TE with Chig. Duncan was a nice value pick at a position of need. Dowell is the type of player with the athletic profile you take a chance on in the 7th. So overall a draft that was good.

However, the WR spot is still in an alarmingly bad spot and we’re still in the weird place of are we competing, rebuilding, trying to do a little of both or what. 

I ended up giving us a B just because I’m feeling generous. I truly don’t think this is a bad class but I can’t fault anyone giving us a C just because of the approach taken to the WR spot and this rebuild (or not rebuild).

I gave it a C not as a critique of the players drafted.  Rather to the fact that I expect to see very little value of these players in 2023.  Normally I want to see 3-4 rookies make a huge splash.  This year we will be lucky if TWO do anything.  Though with Tanny being injury prone that might change quickly. 

What frustrates me greatly about this is if not for the injury to Tanny last year this team would have won the division again and I expect won a playoff game again. And going into this year I still do not see such large demarcation between us and the Jags. Though the Colts might be the fav's if their rookie QB is all that.

"Experience matters. Of the 6 picks only Levis wasn’t at least a 3-year starter."

Add *durable* to that description. Being injury-plagued, longevity has to be a factor.

I'm starting to get on board the Levis train, albeit very cautiously. B 

Edited by TitanTuff
  • Like 1

I was torn between and A and a B I voted A but would say A- overall.

I will start with the reason I put a minus next to the A. Reason for concern being what a lot of people have already said. The 0 care to get a WR before the 7th round and the luxury pick of a RB in the 3rd round though Spears I think is a stud and will make for a wonderful compliment to Henry this year and a great back in a committee post Henry. However it can't be ignored the WR room is not good overall currently and something needs to be done.

However, why I feel this draft deserves an A overall is for four main reasons.

1) The Titans offensive line even with the fa editions you could argue was still as big a need as WR. For the simple fact the Titans have lived and died by the offensive line being prioritized for so long now. Love it or hate it, the Titans have this right. The trenches are so important. That's how so many games are won and lost. To get Skoronski who imo and many others was the best o lineman in the draft at 11. Incredible pick and value doesn't matter if he plays at Tackle or Guard. We had need at both. He fills a huge need. To also add Duncan late who also has a lot to like about his game has our o line in a much better place right now. Not leagues best but should be vastly improved and respectable this year. That is critical.

2) It's a QB driven league and love him or hate him getting Levis at 33 was again great value and he has the talent of a first rounder. I really don't understand how Richardson went at 4 and Levis fell for us to move up and get him but am happy about it. Whether it works out or not, we needed to do something at QB. I don't think the Titans will be bad enough to pick higher than 11 next year and next year's QBs other than a couple I don't see as being ahead of Levis. So love the Titans trying to secure the most important position in football when they had a chance. Excited to see how he develops and does. He actually fits a run heavy and play action style which was when our offense was best l. He has all the physical abilities and I believe will be a great one with proper time and coaching.

3) Preparing for the next version of the Titans. Tannehill and Henry are almost done. So much like point 2 need a plan soon for QB and Levis fits. Same goes for Henry and Spears is a nice piece to form a committee. Always got to plan ahead to be ready.

4) Great value throughout based on projections and where the Titans took players. That is a good strategy to more likely hit on players.

Bottom line, the WR room worries me but hope we can add another. If the WR room remains as is that is concerning but overall the draft set us up better for the future and especially since regardless of what the Titans did, they weren't challenging for a Super Bowl this year. Just my take but I am excited about the additions.

• Like 3