2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

14 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

No sense in trading a ton for someone. A deal will be a good deal or I wouldn't deal. Picks simply can't be seen as hostage negotiations when it comes to QBs anymore for us. Stick at 13 and see what happens or target someone later unless we do some sort of straight swap of picks to move from 13 to 10 or something.

Despite my earlier post, I agree with this. I just think that teams will be desperate this year.

BTW, @NYRaider The jury is still out on Tua as well. He sucks without Tyreek.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think it'll be a trade up for JJ McCarthy or we land Nix. Nix could be at #13, after a trade back, a trade back into the 1st, or in the 2nd.

Or a trade up to get in front of the Donkeys

It feels like offensive linemen is the likeliest option at 13. I think corner might be, but I am unsure how dependent Graham's defense is on a top tier talent at the position. My preference would be Fuaga at 13 and Nix in a trade up back into the first round.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think it'll be a trade up for JJ McCarthy or we land Nix. Nix could be at #13, after a trade back, a trade back into the 1st, or in the 2nd.

I wouldn't mind a trade up for JJ just as long as the cost is palatable.  We need to get good value in this draft and not panic because we need a young QB.

Nix at 13 would not be good value, I would rather go CB at 13. A top CB should pose good value there and if we can nail that pick with a lockdown stud CB that would put his D in a place to take a nice step forward.

We have nearly 40M in cap space remaining.  We need to solidify the Oline and add quality depth across the board.  Adding a vet RB to the mix on a cheap deal like Dobbins for 2M would also pose good value. 

18 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

It feels like offensive linemen is the likeliest option at 13. I think corner might be, but I am unsure how dependent Graham's defense is on a top tier talent at the position. My preference would be Fuaga at 13 and Nix in a trade up back into the first round.

I disagree and think CB would pose better value than a RT.  Outside of QB I do agree that CB/OT are the two positions we are most likely to target but a stud prospect CB like Arnold/ Wiggins would do wonders for this D.  We can't just keep throwing JAGs on the outside and expect this D to take a major step forward. 

I also feel like IOL/OT value can be obtained via FA or later in the draft.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I wouldn't mind a trade up for JJ just as long as the cost is palatable.  We need to get good value in this draft and not panic because we need a young QB.

Nix at 13 would not be good value, I would rather go CB at 13. A top CB should pose good value there and if we can nail that pick with a lockdown stud CB that would put his D in a place to take a nice step forward.

We have nearly 40M in cap space remaining.  We need to solidify the Oline and add quality depth across the board.  Adding a vet RB to the mix on a cheap deal like Dobbins for 2M would also pose good value. 

Why is a trade up for McCarthy palatable but Nix at 13 is bad value? We don't know how teams are evaluating these quarterbacks. We are reasonably certain who the top three are, but, there is no slam dunk argument why McCarthy, Nix, or Penix is the unquestionable QB4 or whether they are first rounders or second rounders.

15 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I disagree and think CB would pose better value than a RT.  Outside of QB I do agree that CB/OT are the two positions we are most likely to target but a stud prospect CB like Arnold/ Wiggins would do wonders for this D.  We can't just keep throwing JAGs on the outside and expect this D to take a major step forward. 

I also feel like IOL/OT value can be obtained via FA or later in the draft.  

The defense doesn't have to take a major step forward. It was very good last season and added an All Pro-level defensive lineman. My value question has to do with the nature of the defense. From what I observed last season, Graham relies more on zone coverage than other defenses in the NFL. Top corners are typically drafted for their ability to play man coverage. Zone corners are easier to find in later rounds and in free agency. The Raiders have two quality starters in Hobbs and Jones. There are also a couple free agents that may be good fits as the third starter.

On the offensive line, the team seems to have the entire left side sorted. However, Parham and James are just average starters. What the team thinks of Munford will determine what happens in the draft. They could realistically think he's the starter at right tackle or a quality swing tackle.

Draft wise, I like Arnold and Fuaga about the same. Wiggins does not seem like a scheme fit, and I like him a tier or two below Fuaga and Arnold. I haven't watched Mitchell or Latham. I really like Jackson Powers-Johnson and see him in the same tier as Fuaga and Arnold. But, unless he plays center, I don't think he carries a ton of positional value.

4 hours ago, NickButera said:

Um, I'm pretty sure the number of super bowls won by first round QBs is like...32 or 33 ish. And without Brady, the number of non first rounders to win is like, 17 ish?

And I would vehemently disagree. Finding success outside of first round QBs is very rare, and certainly anything but "obvious". 

https://theathletic.com/5256546/2024/02/08/super-bowl-quarterbacks-history-free-agency-draft?source=user-shared-article

I would vehemently disagree as we needn't discuss Superbowls from 30+ years ago (regardless of the context here being the last 10). 

Since 2010 season kickoff:

# of Superbowls total: 13

Wins by 1st round QBs: 7. 

Superbowls not won by Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady: 6. 

Superbowls won by a 1st round QB not named Patrick Mahomes: 4- Flacco, P Manning, E Manning, Stafford. Neither Flacco nor Eli were the major catalyst to their wins, neither Peyton nor Stafford were drafted by their team, but we'll skip the pedantic. 

Wins by non 1st round QBs: 2. 

Of those 6 combined QBs, zero had repeats during the 2010-2023 span. A near even number of non-1st round QBs helmet the losing team. 

So you basically have Tom or Patrick or a crapshoot whether you have a 1st round starter or a 4th. 

Quinyon Mitchell or Terrion Arnold at 13, trade up in the 1st for Penix. Id look at OG, LB, RB, WR rest of the way. 

I dont see us getting into the top 5 for a top 4 QB. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Quinyon Mitchell or Terrion Arnold at 13, trade up in the 1st for Penix. Id look at OG, LB, RB, WR rest of the way. 

I dont see us getting into the top 5 for a top 4 QB. 

I like Penix. I really like Penix at 44. I don't think he'd be there. 

But a trade back to the late teens and a small package to jump into the end of round 1 to net a stud and Penix, I'm all in.