2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

58 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I like Penix. I really like Penix at 44. I don't think he'd be there. 

But a trade back to the late teens and a small package to jump into the end of round 1 to net a stud and Penix, I'm all in. 

44 is my magic pick for pennix too in a perfect world 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

44 is my magic pick for pennix too in a perfect world 

Right there with you guys - so hard to tell if a guy is a late 1st QB or an early 2nd...really just depends on how desperate teams are and how much they value Penix. At this point I feel like we have to move up into the late 1st to get him. Anyone know value needed to move from 44 to 28-32?

• Like 2

Just now, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Right there with you guys - so hard to tell if a guy is a late 1st QB or an early 2nd...really just depends on how desperate teams are and how much they value Penix. At this point I feel like we have to move up into the late 1st to get him. Anyone know value needed to move from 44 to 28-32?

Google trade value chart.

1 minute ago, raidr4life said:

Google trade value chart.

Looks like our 2+3 this year would be plenty for the 49ers pick 31 and maybe a 5th in reture. I'd almost rather part with a pick next year but those are always tricky. 

Walking away with a CB/OT at 13 and Penix in round 2 would be a homerun - CB/OT at 13 and Penix in the late 1st would be solid and a bit more likely. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Looks like our 2+3 this year would be plenty for the 49ers pick 31 and maybe a 5th in reture. I'd almost rather part with a pick next year but those are always tricky. 

Walking away with a CB/OT at 13 and Penix in round 2 would be a homerun - CB/OT at 13 and Penix in the late 1st would be solid and a bit more likely. 

Honestly, I wonder what O'Connell trade value is. I'd send our 2nd + AOC to move back into the 1st to lock up a QB. 

Our rook doesn't need to be QB3 on the depth chart, and Minshew is a lock for either QB1 or the backup. AOC is expendable now, and backup QBs are desirable on the market. 

9 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Honestly, I wonder what O'Connell trade value is. I'd send our 2nd + AOC to move back into the 1st to lock up a QB. 

Our rook doesn't need to be QB3 on the depth chart, and Minshew is a lock for either QB1 or the backup. AOC is expendable now, and backup QBs are desirable on the market. 

Nothing. 7th if you are lucky 

1 hour ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

also to get that 5th year of a QB on a rookie deal, its worth the trade up. 

2 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I'm with you on this at this point.

I obviously don't have a crystal ball, but my general feeling is that this year's draft will be similar to the 1999 draft. 5 QBs were taken by pick #12. Maybe the 6th QB falls to the late 1st but IDK. The Seahawks (#16) and the Steelers (#20) could draft one if somebody fell to them.

In the 2021 draft, Mack Jones fell to #15 because of his lack of physical talent. I personally have all of the top 6 QBs graded higher than Mack Jones as a prospect. We all know that there were 5 QBs taken by #15.

Maybe some of you guys are holding out hope that we could possibly get the next Jordan Love (drafted at #26). I also have the top 6 graded higher than Jordan Love, except Caleb.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I wouldn't trade AOC.  Such a tiny contract for such an important position.  And his value has to be super low.  On any other team he is considered a low-end backup at best.  Probably half the teams in the NFL wouldn't even keep him on their roster.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

I obviously don't have a crystal ball, but my general feeling is that this year's draft will be similar to the 1999 draft. 5 QBs were taken by pick #12. Maybe the 6th QB falls to the late 1st but IDK. The Seahawks (#16) and the Steelers (#20) could draft one if somebody fell to them.

In the 2021 draft, Mack Jones fell to #15 because of his lack of physical talent. I personally have all of the top 6 QBs graded higher than Mack Jones as a prospect. We all know that there were 5 QBs taken by #15.

Maybe some of you guys are holding out hope that we could possibly get the next Jordan Love (drafted at #26). I also have the top 6 graded higher than Jordan Love, except Caleb.

Most people think Caleb is the best QB in the draft and you think Caleb is the 6th best QB this year?  Or are you listing him as the 7th best?  I've not seen anyone write this anywhere.  What is your logic/reasoning?

55 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Most people think Caleb is the best QB in the draft and you think Caleb is the 6th best QB this year?  Or are you listing him as the 7th best?  I've not seen anyone write this anywhere.  What is your logic/reasoning?

I have said it in other posts. I DO recognize Caleb's talent (most overall talent in the draft), but has maturity/personality issues. Most QBs that have those types of issues tend to disappoint rather than live up to their potential.

• Like 4

We're most likely going to have to jump Seattle to land Penix. They don't sound to thrilled about Geno as the starter and they hired Washington's OC. Wouldn't shock me to see them take him at #16.

Just now, NYRaider said:

We're most likely going to have to jump Seattle to land Penix. They don't sound to thrilled about Geno as the starter and they hired Washington's OC. Wouldn't shock me to see them take him at #16.

Or just draft Penix at #13.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Who we talking about? Because there's more than a few Caleb skeptics out there, just never in the media world because they're too scared to not go with the popular opinion. 

I think we can agree that the top 6 QBs in this draft, in no particular order, are Williams, Maye, McCarthy, Daniels, Nix, Penix? 

I could 100% make an argument for Caleb being the 6th best among them. 

Caleb vs Maye- both seem to have plenty of physical talent that will entice people as to what they "could" become. May doesn't have the abrasive character and wasn't surrounded by top recruits and a wiz offensive coaching staff. Neither won any major championship, so the hope is better surroundings unlock more. I'd give the advantage to Maye. 

Caleb vs Daniels- a few similarities in style. Daniels gets the benefit of "what have you done for me lately" as Caleb is a year removed from being a Heisman superstar. Caleb has the better size overall (seriously, Daniels is built like a lanky CB). Daniels inarguably played in a tougher conference at LSU and wasn’t bulking his stats up against lesser competition without showing out against top tier defenses too. Coaching quality is probably about even, maybe a slight advantage to USC's offensive staff but an advantage to LSU for support cast. Daniels seems well liked and also lacks the weird abrasive personality. Daniels also didn't seem to regress from year to year, rather he definitively improved. Caleb started hot and seemed to plateau and even regressed a bit last season when the going was tough. Was it his more due to his supporting cast? That's TBD, but again, I'd lean Daniels because we simply don't have those same questions. 

Caleb vs McCarthy- Caleb is more statistically accomplished, no doubt whatsoever. McCarthy doesn't have the abrasive character. McCarthy won more big games than Caleb, regardless of individual performances. McCarthy may not have shown off, but he also didn't really have near as many "crap the bed" games either. Quality of coaching is leaning Harbaugh, but the HC/OC combo at USC was probably a near equal to Michigan's. USC's weaponry was nearly equal. Michigan plays a tougher schedule in the Big10 and McCarthy showed up to play big boy ball, video game stats or not, and usually paid off. Caleb took a ball to the nuts nutsack against a bad ASU team and looked painfully average in a lot of games with mistakes and turnovers aplenty. Again, I'd lean McCarthy head to head. It's close, but I'd go with the safer, less abrasive player since it's a straight up 50/50 on any prospect panning out. 

Caleb vs Nix- this one gets interesting to me. Nix is far more likeable. He puts up numbers too. Oregon did very well with him at the helm. That said, he's old and has a slight stink on him from Auburn. Yes, Auburn had a tougher slate, but he was outright mediocre. His HC there was a dolt though. Nix is admittedly more likely to have actually reached a plateau already, so it's paramount to know whether the NFL views him a "pro ready" or just someome.who Van Wilder'd around so long in college that he was just better than his peers enough to show out at a higher, but not necessarily franchise QB level. All things being equal, I'd lean Caleb. But all things are not equal and Nix has some question marks. That said, his question marks aren't character related and his playing style doesn't seem as boom or bust- and typically they go bust in that scenario. On the hot seat, I'd go with Nix amd hope for the best rather than hitch my wagon to Williams. But, I admit, it's my least comfortable choice here. 

Caleb vs Penix- I will admit I am biased towards Penix. He has shown me everything I look for in a QB- showed up against big teams while playing on some pretty fugly Indiana teams. Came back from adversity and injury to transfer and show a ton of improvement when his surroundings improved. Good athletic profile but understands playing in structure. Willing to try and gut out a performance for his team (seriously though, f*ck DeBoer for letting that kid stay in the game though, it was clearly lost and he would have let Penix throw his entire future away because of hype and adrenaline. Be a damn HC and yank the guy for his own safety.). Penix is older, but he's no older than Eli Manning or Carson Palmer were. His injury history is the biggest concern to me. He, to me, is simply everything Caleb is not. Penix was and remains my personal QB1 though I know he won't be the first off the board and probably the last of this group. That said, I would run to the podium with #1 overall, select him without hesitation, and let the chips fall as they may. He's the QB I'd hitch my wagon to 10/10 times and be totally at peace with the end result. Obviously leaning Penix by a mile here. 

So...Caleb is 5th or 6th with him and Nix being a bit of a toss up for me. 

If pressed, draft slot projection aside because we know the actual selections will be a different order, I'd rank these guys based on the likelihood they pan out and make their new fanbase happy:

1. Penix

2. Maye

3. McCarthy 

4. Daniels

5. Nix

6. Williams

• Like 2