2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

11 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

@44:30

Lost me on comparing him to Stetson Bennett. As a Georgia and Oregon guy.... that is the worst comparison I think I've heard this draft cycle. Nix clearly has better size, arm talent and athleticism from the eye test alone. Won't waste time getting into the rest of the details. This take is buns.

11 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

My mock draft for tomorrow:

Here is my Top 10 Mock:

1. Bears - QB Caleb Williams
2. Commanders - QB Drake Maye
3. Patriots - QB JJ McCarthy
4. TRADE - Raiders - QB Jayden Daniels
5. Chargers - WR Marvin Harrison Jr. 
6. Giants - WR Malik Nabers
7. Titans - OT Joe Alt
8. Falcons - EDGE Dallas Turner
9. Bears - OT JC Latham
10. Jets - WR Romeo Odunze

I’ll believe the Daniels at #2 when I see it. Maye was the clear cut #2 before smokescreen season. Commanders would be absolute FOOLS to pass on Maye. 

No chance the Cardinal, who need a WR drop to 13 and miss out on the top 3.

Daniels has been the 2 all offseason. They would be fools to pass on Drake, I agree but nothing has pointed to this pick not being Daniels since day 1.

11 hours ago, FloydFan said:

I don’t think it’s AP at that point, I think it’s Telesco. If we go into the season with those two they need to fire everyone. 

Acting out of desperation and taking Penix at 13 would be just as foolish. There is a smart way to navigate this and it's not reaching on a QB because you only have Minshew and AOC. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I don't understand why fans lack patience and demand a QB at 13 even if the player doesn't warrant being drafted that high . 

Unless this QB is a superstar this team is not a contender and that is a fact. I would rather build a solid roster with a young corp of studs than overdraft and pray he turns into a stud.  If 4 or 5 QB's are off the board when we pick there will be some quality position players available.  We need to be smart and not draft out of desperation.  If we pull the trigger on a QB at 13 he better be top 10 or else it will be years of misery with another wasted 1st round draft pick.  

Build a solid core of players and take a QB when the value is there, do not overdraft one hoping he is the franchise savior...  That never ends well.  Football 101 type stuff. 

I'm with you on this. Seeing a lot of "they deserve to be fired if they don't take a QB" posts. How is reaching on QB not just as bad or worse to the future of the franchise?

If you miss on the top 4 (likely) don't simply knee jerk and take QB5 a round early because it's a need. Then you're forced to make it work for a couple years to the detriment of your team.

It would suck going into the season with Minshew/AOC. But is adding Penix really a needle mover? I don't see it.

If you miss on the top4, take BPA OT/CB/Dline and be better for it. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, FloydFan said:

That’s an indictment on the front office. There is no reason we shouldn’t be able to obtain a top four qb in this class if we really truly desire them. 

How can you possibly say that?

Bears and Commanders are not moving, they've made that clear. Pats/Cards may be open for the right offer.... but look at who needs QB. Giants at 6, Vikings at 11.

Giants have the upper hand with pick 6. Vikings have 2 first round picks. What do the Raiders have that makes you think they have no reason not to obtain a top four QB. Unless you want them to outbid the Giants or Vikings and wreck future draft capital in a big way. 

What is it worth to you? How many future first round picks would you be comfortable with them giving up if you think there is no reason they can't move up for a top 4 QB? 

So while they can, should they throw and absurd amount of draft capital at it to outbid those 2 teams? 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'm with you on this. Seeing a lot of "they deserve to be fired if they don't take a QB" posts. How is reaching on QB not just as bad or worse to the future of the franchise?

If you miss on the top 4 (likely) don't simply knee jerk and take QB5 a round early because it's a need. Then you're forced to make it work for a couple years to the detriment of your team.

It would suck going into the season with Minshew/AOC. But is adding Penix really a needle mover? I don't see it.

I think both extremes are crazy "they should be fired if they take a QB" or "they shouldn't be fired if they don't take a QB".

For me it's a lot simpler than that: make the right pick. Only time can tell if they do that or not whether or not it's a QB. Now that being said there are QBs we like better than other in the same way that there are CBs I like better than others. They just need to be right for once. 

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I’d be happy with any of the top 4 at 13 or even with a small trade up (obviously some won’t be there). Penix, not at 13 for me as he’s a second round prospect, with obvious flaws as is Nix. For me:

Best option: one of the top 4 fall to 13 - unrealistic

Second best option: small trade up for JJ McCarthy - sit and learn

Third best option: take a blue chipper that falls at 13 and take Nix or Penix at 44

Fourth best option: take a blue chipper at 13 and then a trade back into the first for Nix or Penix

I do want to take a QB this draft but I personally think it would be a little impulsive and FOMO to overdraft a guy like Penix or Nix by almost a full round. I’d rather take a high ceiling kid like Travis late and build up the rest of the team than overdraft honestly. Who knows though, all have flaws and all have flashes 😁

I agree with those. 

However I think every option is unrealistic and isn't possible. Nix and Penix in round 2 is a pipe dream IMO. We either get one at 13 or we're not getting one at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think both extremes are crazy "they should be fired if they take a QB" or "they shouldn't be fired if they don't take a QB".

For me it's a lot simpler than that: make the right pick. Only time can tell if they do that or not whether or not it's a QB. Now that being said there are QBs we like better than other in the same way that there are CBs I like better than others. They just need to be right for once. 

Exactly. Just nail the pick. If that's moving up, down or sideways for a QB, just let it be the right one. Otherwise, nail the BPA at 13 who can earn a second contract. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I agree with those. 

However I think every option is unrealistic and isn't possible. Nix and Penix in round 2 is a pipe dream IMO. We either get one at 13 or we're not getting one at all.

I'm still not convinced. I think Penix and Nix will be there in round 2. I'm not buying teams are this desperate at QB that 6 go in round 1. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Years past I probably would have aligned more with this. However these moves move the needle (or don't) ust as much as your other side of the argument. Case and point, Kolton Miller. We've been there, done that, drafted some guys in other areas that turned out to be great players. In the end our franchise is still in shambles. Because an OT or CB can never change the direction of your franchise. If you hit on maybe 3-6 years of these guys than maybe. But even then....if you don't have a QB none of it matters. Your team isn't going anywhere. 

I'm tired of 'putting off trying to find a QB for another year". It's a guaranteed to not help us move. And I don't like watching us just be passive. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Years past I probably would have aligned more with this. However these moves move the needle (or don't) ust as much as your other side of the argument. Case and point, Kolton Miller. We've been there, done that, drafted some guys in other areas that turned out to be great players. In the end our franchise is still in shambles. Because an OT or CB can never change the direction of your franchise. If you hit on maybe 3-6 years of these guys than maybe. But even then....if you don't have a QB none of it matters. Your team isn't going anywhere. 

I'm tired of 'putting off trying to find a QB for another year". It's a guaranteed to not help us move. And I don't like watching us just be passive. 

Great case. I’m really conflicted this year.

I’d say that I’m on the side of “draft the best OT/CB” group and let the QB chips fall (hope Penix is there later). However I absolutely see your perspective and your rationale is very compelling. 

18 minutes ago, NickButera said:

We can not force draft a QB out of need.  This team has drafted terribly for over two decades and the only way to turn this franchise around is to start to draft studs.  The quick fix is to draft a superstar QB but the odds of landing that type of QB are minimal at 13.   

I would much rather come out of the first two rounds with a CB and OL versus over drafting a QB at 13 out of desperation in hopes he can be the franchise savior. Build a solid young foundation and make the transition of an incoming, young QB much smoother with solid pieces around him and a top tier D.  Similar to what SF has done. 

If the value is there this year for a QB in the 1st I am all for it and if not then you take BPA which appears to be CB IMO...  We have to take a long term approach and stop pretending this team is a contender, that is unless we land a superstar QB.  If we overreach for a QB at 13 and the QB turns out to be bum like Zach Wilson that will lead to many more years of misery, coaching turnover and a new GM.  Hard pass on the quick fix unless our front office is convinced the QB is elite.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Telling you. Nix is a tier above Penix. It's not even close for me. The narrative is Nix is a check down game manager, but if you watched any of Oregons games, it couldn't be further from the truth. More 10+ yard throws downfield than Jayden Daniels. More 10+ yard TDs that Penix. He can hit every level, even if the offense doesn't call for it.

Nix and McCarthy are guys who showed you they can do a lot of stuff even if they were not always asked to. The skillset is there. 

Yeh, I think you could be right. Initially I liked Penix but the more I look into him, the more I see stuff I'm sceptical will work in the NFL. I can't remember who said it, but you need a QB to deliver the ball where it needs to be when it needs to be there and sometimes it looks basic but that is what works and everyone is looking for the flashy stuff now thanks to Mahomes and Josh Allen. Some guys play in a system but their traits hint they can do more. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Lost me on comparing him to Stetson Bennett. As a Georgia and Oregon guy.... that is the worst comparison I think I've heard this draft cycle. Nix clearly has better size, arm talent and athleticism from the eye test alone. Won't waste time getting into the rest of the details. This take is buns.

I'm not even a Bo Nix fan and think that comparison is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

• NickButera locked and unpinned this topic