2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

McCarthy is leading one of the lowest volume passing offenses in the country this year. Dude had 3 interceptions in 13 pass attempts against 2-4 Bowling Green. They've played against sub-par competition all year and he has yet to light it up at all. He just looks basic and boring to me, a Ryan Tannehill type.

Competition has been weak. Will see how he does down the stretch. Not going to fault them on the fact Michigan's offense is a monster on the ground and they haven't needed him to throw it a ton.

He hasn't needed to light it up. That is not how Harbaugh and Michigan run their offense. He does however show accuracy and anticipation consistently on a throw to throw basis. Excellent in the pocket, can win with his legs. 

He's boring and that's a good thing. Everyone thinks QBs need to be flashy, throwing sidearm passes and running in circles in the pocket now. Herbert was boring.

Give me the boring, mechanically sound QB with an NFL arm from a prostyle offense over the flashy spread guy spraying pass all over the field that mostly won't translate to the pros.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Questions for everyone: You can only pick one for next year - which is it?

New head coach or New franchise QB?

Franchise qb. As much as JMD hasn't been good, Jimmy has arguably been worse. Some of JMD's actually good play calls can't be executed by this bum that can't throw more than 20 yards.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Who are the new HC candidates?  Who are the franchise QB options?  Depends on who wins us a SB (or 6 SBs).

• Like 1

Great question. Honestly - I’d say McD. 

While I had, up until recently had a degree of optimism about him and I am very aware of Jimmy’s limitations and inability to carry out McDs offense, I just would rather move on from him so that he doesn’t affect our future player recruitment.

I’d much rather bring in HC who the GM (maybe Zeig, maybe not) can properly build a roster with that is fully stocked and aligned with the coaches vision. I just don’t see that being possible with McD.

Plus, I would welcome a different coach coming in and rolling with AOC 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

New HC. 

The 2024 class is great, but the 2025 class will inevitably have plenty of talent too. Pretty much every single year there's a super hyped up QB getting called "generational" to the point it's almost silly. 

Moreover, the HC we have would be picking said QB, as the QB certainly isn't picking the coach, and I don't trust the evaluation job done by our current regime. I also don't particularly believe in the current HC's ability to make the right decisions to put a QBOTF in the best position to succeed amd don't want to be looking for another QB in a year or two - the difference between a great HC and a great QB is pretty big, imo. 

A new HC will bring in a new identity for a future QB to step into. The identity we have right now is....what, exactly? Where's it even going? Is the HC the guy to install the QBOTF and ride high? 

Going further, I don't want to Alex Smith a QB. Dude got screwed by endless coaching changes until Harbaugh came in and cleaned house. 2-3 more years of bad coaching and losses, our HC would be gone either way and our QBOTF would be undergoing a  scheme change right about the time he's finally settling in (2-3 year mark). 

My choice, bring in fresh blood at HC, give a year to evaluate where we're going, and let him bring his guy into the fold at QB after a year. Presently, we have a HC that would be looking for a job saving savior, and the odds of that not going bad are slim to none. 

If Josh ever gets a 3rd chance to prove he's capable, best of luck to him. Maybe he'll get it right that time, third time being a charm and whatnot. But here, that window has passed. 3rd year in following 1 bad year and possibly a 2nd shaping up to be potentially worse overall, that's not who you task with finding a QBOTF. Should've gone for one in one of the first 2 years- and having Carr wasn't an excuse not to given how much of a prolonged divorce in the making that whole saga was, and it's not like franchises never draft QBs to replace older ones- and Carr wasn't a spring chicken. That's how you get a coach with his feet to the fire and his back against the wall with a rookie QB. That inevitably winds up being a disastrous mix with little to no hope of a good long term outcome. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

so two caveats. 1st: Can we assume both HC and QB are legit franchise altering quality dudes?

If not, I’ll take the QB. If yes, then the 2nd question pertains. 

2nd: does the HC option include a GM package? If so, I’ll take the front office. If not, then the QB.

32 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

The 2024 class is great, but the 2025 class will inevitably have plenty of talent too. Pretty much every single year there's a super hyped up QB getting called "generational" to the point it's almost silly. 

Luck (2012), Lawrence (2021) and now Williams. Not many get that label. 

Each new year is a new class of guys to get excited about.

New HC with no QB, you toss 2024 in the bin and probably 2025 developing the eventual guy.

I'd take the franchise QB and see if he could save HC's career. If not, you have a franchise QB to pair with your next coach. How it worked with Trevor and Pederson for example.

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Luck (2012), Lawrence (2021) and now Williams. Not many get that label. 

Each new year is a new class of guys to get excited about.

Joe Burrow was definitely up there.  I don't know about getting the generational label, but he was the clear cut #1 pick after that season with LSU.  I mean he isn't playing well this season, but I think it's due to injuries.  He's been great when he's healthy.  Arguably a top 5 QB in the NFL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That's a good question. It's close, but I would say new quarterback provided we get the right one. Although, if we don't have the right coach, it could be possible that we have the right one but he's not properly developed. So it's a tossup.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2023/10/13/23915307/russell-wilson-contract-release-denver-broncos-salary-cap

Here's the reason I think the Broncos won't draft a QB this draft. They have SO much cap space tied up in Wilson (an NFL record if they cut him), it's actually impossible to cut him this offseason and field an NFL roster. And if they draft someone #1 or #2 overall and keep wilson.....the amount of money they'd have tied up in the QB position is astronomical. They're forced to ride it out with Wilson through next year. Then they'll be able to move on. Most likely they improve the roster this draft so when theyre able to draft a QB in 2025 they have a better prepared team. 

"To cut Wilson would make the numbers even worse. His 2024 salary ($17 million) and option bonus ($22 million) are fully guaranteed, so they would also need to be accounted for. That’s another $39 million in dead cap space on top of the existing $46 million in dead cap, for an $85 million total dead cap, more than double the largest in NFL history. That is one-third of the total projected salary cap for the 2024 season and for a player not even on your team!"

• Like 1