2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Kid is super young, right?  No reason to think he isn't "moldable clay" for a RB coach.

It would be really nice to put him onto a team with an established, high end vet, like Aaron Jones.  

Make sure the kid doesn't have to do it all himself right away.

I dig it.

Also?  He related to David Boston?

Except he just isn't fast enough for the NFL and doesn't translate that size to power well. I haven't watched much college football this year outside of a couple late season games and the championship, but I did catch a few Badgers games. He looks like a fringe NFL player to me. AJ Dillon is probably his ceiling.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Except he just isn't fast enough for the NFL and doesn't translate that size to power well. I haven't watched much college football this year outside of a couple late season games and the championship, but I did catch a few Badgers games. He looks like a fringe NFL player to me. AJ Dillon is probably his ceiling.

That's explosive and powerful. Allen isn't a 1st round RB prospect, but he'll go round 3-4 and have a niche roll in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

That's explosive and powerful. Allen isn't a 1st round RB prospect, but he'll go round 3-4 and have a niche roll in the NFL. 

I don't see it when he runs. He might very well be super athletic but as we've seen that doesn't always translate.

Its fine for a 3-4rd pick on a #2 back, but I don't see him as a feature back in the NFL and that's more what I'm looking for.

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm loving that 10 yard split, for sure.

https://rpofootball.com/nfl-combine-results-10-yard-splits-running-backs/

Anything under a 1.55 is a good time in the 10-Yard Split for running backs. Here is this year’s Top 5:

Keaton Mitchell (East Carolina 5’8″) 1.48
Devon Achane (Texas A & M 5’9″) 1.51
Bijan Robinson (Texas 5’11”) 1.52
Roschon Johnson (Texas 6’0″) 1.52
Jahmyr Gibbs (Alabama 5’9″) 1.52

13 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

Braelon Allen is 19 yrs old and 245lbs?

I'm going to assume he just gets bigger as he ages.   Le'Veon Bell is the only name that comes to mind as a back that was able to drop 20 lbs and became a superstar for a few seasons.     Anyone else worried in a couple seasons Braelon just becomes Fat Eddie Lacey?

Not sure if you are serious or not with this, but Allen basically the polar opposite of Lacy when it comes to how seriously he takes his physical conditioning.

48 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Allen will be a better player than AJ Dillon the second he steps on the field for his first OTA.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Not sure if you are serious or not with this, but Allen basically the polar opposite of Lacy when it comes to how seriously he takes his physical conditioning.

I was serious in that I didn't have any insight into Braelon Allen's work ethic.   That's why I was posing the question to the board.   People seem to think he has a great work ethic and it won't be a problem.   That's what I wanted to know.    It wasn't a "take" - I was posing a question.

I do have serious reservations about any RB coming into the league at 245+, regardless of work ethic.   

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Ummmm? This might take the cake for one of the worst takes on here.

E5QZQYsXoAYiGxB?format=jpg&name=medium

I think a lot of folks underestimate him.  He played high school football in the spring due to covid and then the Badgers that same year in the fall.  He's a young guy, I don't think he'd be the worst guy to look at in the 3rd or 4th round.  Another young guy coming to the offense that would grow together.

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Better watch more games .. fringe player?  LOL .. he's barely out of high school.

Here’s where I might be wrong on Braedon Allen: if he gets reliable blocking, and if he sees the running lanes consistently, and if he can get two clean steps he would be big trouble for defenses trying stop our passing game.

But I have been trying to talk myself out of thinking we might take him because someone will surely have him higher on their board than us. If we snagged him, as I said before, we will have replaced Dillon, not Jones.

Edited by Uffdaswede