2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

23 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

It has been many years since the Packers have gone really big, both on the D line and the O line. It would seem that 320-325 is the higher end of what they like, no more Big Grease, Raji, or the Gravedigger, it seems........conditioning is so hard to achieve with the super-bigs.  That is why I'm guessing no Sweat, no J.C.Latham (probably gone before the Packers pick anyway) and no Amarius Mims, either.

Those guys rarely are useful in pass rush like Raji.

seems like a lot of folks are divided on Kinchens. some feel like he's not even worth a 1st round pick, others think he's a plug and play deep safety who would thrive in this Hafley scheme 

i'm of the opinion that it's too much to put on a rookie. we need to splurge on a vet safety in FA

• Like 3

On 2/4/2024 at 10:40 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

Say everyone else just forgets that Marvin Harrison is on the board, don't we have to take him at 25?

I said this in jest, and wouldn't you know it, one of the stupid more random draft sims that I ran yesterday had Marvin Harrison available at my pick.  One of them had Caleb Williams at 25 as well.  I suppose that is fun in a Madden sense, where I can get all of my favorite rookies.  But it sure threw a wrench in my plans of seeing what realistically happens when I decide to go "position X" in the first round.

I honestly don't remember which simulator it was.  I usually google them and run the first three or so results to hopefully get different, but slightly similar results.  But this was almost completely random.  One of them I saw last year more or less ordered every guy 1-300 and just took their highest rated player at every pick, regardless of position.

3 hours ago, persiandud said:

seems like a lot of folks are divided on Kinchens. some feel like he's not even worth a 1st round pick, others think he's a plug and play deep safety who would thrive in this Hafley scheme 

i'm of the opinion that it's too much to put on a rookie. we need to splurge on a vet safety in FA

He'd be a perfectly acceptable 2nd round pick for the Packers.  When it comes to free safeties he's one of the better prospects in the drafts.  There's really not a round safety this year. I think he's a good fit for what the Packers want to do in Hafley's scheme.  I would prefer a proven communicator added in free agency, but if we go the draft route I'd be happy with Kinchens with one of our 2nd's.  

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He'd be a perfectly acceptable 2nd round pick for the Packers.  When it comes to free safeties he's one of the better prospects in the drafts.  There's really not a round safety this year. I think he's a good fit for what the Packers want to do in Hafley's scheme.  I would prefer a proven communicator added in free agency, but if we go the draft route I'd be happy with Kinchens with one of our 2nd's.  

yea i feel you. Kinchens at 41, hard not to feel great about that. similar to Branch with the Lions last draft. that would be solid value 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, persiandud said:

yea i feel you. Kinchens at 41, hard not to feel great about that. similar to Branch with the Lions last draft. that would be solid value 

I think we will see both Nubins and Kinchens available around 41 and even later.

The depth of the WR class and OL class is going to push those safeties down, unless they run blazing 40 times.  And they shouldn't.

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think we will see both Nubins and Kinchens available around 41 and even later.

The depth of the WR class and OL class is going to push those safeties down, unless they run blazing 40 times.  And they shouldn't.

Several QBs will go in round 1 or early in 2,  maybe as many as 6 in total (Williams, Maye, Daniels, Nix, Penix, McCarthy).

Nubin and Kinchens are, I think, around pick 41 - at least one would hopefully be there. I don't think either lasts to #58 though.

Chances of DeJean being available at #25,  30/70 (so probably gone). Chances of CB Quinyon Mitchell being there are about the same at this time, but once the Combine happens its hard to predict - I doubt either of them drop - if anything they may rise a few spots.

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Several QBs will go in round 1 or early in 2,  maybe as many as 6 in total (Williams, Maye, Daniels, Nix, Penix, McCarthy).

Nubin and Kinchens are, I think, around pick 41 - at least one would hopefully be there. I don't think either lasts to #58 though.

Chances of DeJean being available at #25,  30/70 (so probably gone). Chances of CB Quinyon Mitchell being there are about the same at this time, but once the Combine happens its hard to predict - I doubt either of them drop - if anything they may rise a few spots.

I sure hope Nix and Penix go in round 1. Both are going to bust. As a GM I'd say nix to both of them. Irony alert, both of their names are telling GM's to "nix," them. 

Which RB in this year's class look like they'd be able to do a bunch of the motion-slot stuff? 

So far I've only watched a bit of Allen and Corum and maybe they could but haven't done it much yet, but being able to flex into different formations is something that definitely helps make the offense go.

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Which RB in this year's class look like they'd be able to do a bunch of the motion-slot stuff? 

So far I've only watched a bit of Allen and Corum and maybe they could but haven't done it much yet, but being able to flex into different formations is something that definitely helps make the offense go.

Irving from Oregon could be really interesting with the Packers. Got to believe MLF could design some interesting plays to get him in space and let him go to work. 

On 2/5/2024 at 2:12 PM, spilltray said:

I think reaching for need is usually more of a media accusation than reality. The talking heads will say a guy is a reach because he was further down their lists. The teams know more than the media "experts" usually, so that is an arrogant position to take.

Nah it still happens.  Even Wolf taking 3 CB's with his first 3 picks.  Edwards, Vinson, and McKensie.  Was an utter failure only McKensie proved to be any good.  He was the 3rd one taken.  Draft pundits aren't always right in their evaluations either so there is some validity to your argument.  Lesser teams still do reach to fill need though.  Best GM's let the board fall to them lesser ones don't.  Man it's going to be a long offseason.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Lesser teams still do reach to fill need though.  Best GM's let the board fall to them lesser ones don't.  Man it's going to be a long offseason.  

Its not a reach if any team picks the highest rated player on their draft board.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Its not a reach if any team picks the highest rated player on their draft board.

I consider it a reach if you draft a player 2 full rounds before their consensus draft round in rounds 2-5, or 1 full round before their consensus ranking in round 1. 

Cole Strange for example.

Overspending just because you have the player ranked higher doesn't justify it.  You still need to account for cost and the inherent unpredictability of any draft choice succeeding.  Minimizing cost to draft the players you like is a great way to succeed in the NFL draft even if your draft board is just... meh.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I consider it a reach if you draft a player 2 full rounds before their consensus draft round in rounds 2-5, or 1 full round before their consensus ranking in round 1. 

Thats defining a pick as a reach based on someone ( many other peoples) rankings that is not the actual team making the selection.   Its all personal opinion on where a player supposed should have been drafted.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Cole Strange for example.

Overspending just because you have the player ranked higher doesn't justify it.  You still need to account for cost and the inherent unpredictability of any draft choice succeeding.  Minimizing cost to draft the players you like is a great way to succeed in the NFL draft even if your draft board is just... meh.

If only all 32 teams shared their draft boards so it would be easier to not make a pick that is not deemed a reach by some.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zing said:

Irving from Oregon could be really interesting with the Packers. Got to believe MLF could design some interesting plays to get him in space and let him go to work. 

Was going to say the same thing. I think if you can get him in and work on his pass protection, you have a similar player to Aaron Jones.