2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

48 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Don't really get too much into pre-combine mocks, but decided to run a quick one through Pro Football Network's simulator and pulled this off, lol: 

(25) - Jer'Zhan Newton (DT) - Ilinois

(41) - Ennis Rakestraw (CB) - Missouri

(58) - Cooper Beebe (OG) - KSU

(88) - Jaden Hicks (S) - Wash St.

(91) - Junior Colston (ILB) - Michigan

(129 - trade) - Emani Bailey (RB) - TCU

(167) - LaDarius Henderson (OT) - Michigan

(178- trade) - Erick All (TE) - Iowa

(203) - Mark Perry (S) - TCU

(242) - Isaac Guerendo (RB) - Louisville

(250) - Storm Duck (CB) - Louisville

Storm Duck may be my new draft crush based on his name. 

Gonna seek him out in my mocks going forward.

• Like 4

I’ve watched three corners so far. Abrams-Draine seems to be in play

PFF

Kinchens, Barton, Cooper, Abrams-Draine, Estime. I got 5 starters and an AJ Dillon upgrade.

PFN

Cooper, Nubin, Rakestraw, Payton Wilson, Zinter

MDD

Kinchens, Nubin, Cooper, Trey Benson, Josh Newton

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 1:27 PM, ReasonablySober said:

On cue

On 2/9/2024 at 3:09 PM, Cheesehead430 said:

Rakestraw at 25 and Cooper at 41 is my dream scenario as it stands. Cooper is a freak athlete so I'm sure his stock will skyrocket after the combine. 25 is a possibility. 

Cooper (DeJean) at 25 and Cooper (Edgerrin) at 41, would be a real coup for Gutey.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Green19 said:

For those on the Cooper LB hype train. Take a listen to the Pocket Presence pod with Kurt Benkert.

Talks to a current packer scout…when they get to the discuss on “unicorns” and fred Warner of SF. It’s easy to see GB wanting to have Quay and Cooper in the middle of the defense.

I can't believe GB let a scout talk on a podcast lol. I love it but very surprised.

The thing to watch on the Mizzou CBs is their weight.  I think both are very good, but really want to see if they can maintain their speed at more acceptable NFL weight, and what their actual speed and weight is currently.  Not a whole lot of sub 190 guys are going to be taking down a RB with some momentum built up.  Mizzou has Rakestraw at 188, and Abrams-Draine at 178.  For comparison, Jaire is listed at 196.  

We need to find the supplement to Aaron Jones. We cant count on him being healthy the entire year and there's simply too far a drop off in production and the overall offensive operation when he's out. I dont know if thats a draft pick or a FA - but we need that guy.

The passing games set.
The OLines getting the patches it needs.
If we dont want this offense to lose a step next year - we need AJ2.

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The thing to watch on the Mizzou CBs is their weight.  I think both are very good, but really want to see if they can maintain their speed at more acceptable NFL weight, and what their actual speed and weight is currently.  Not a whole lot of sub 190 guys are going to be taking down a RB with some momentum built up.  Mizzou has Rakestraw at 188, and Abrams-Draine at 178.  For comparison, Jaire is listed at 196.  

If you're wary on a Mizzou guy, I'm not sure I want anything to do with them after J'Mon. I had such high hopes for him despite you warning us lol

Just now, Leader said:

We need to find the supplement to Aaron Jones. We cant count on him being healthy the entire year and there's simply too far a drop off in production and the overall offensive operation when he's out. I dont know if thats a draft pick or a FA - but we need that guy.

The passing games set.
The OLines getting the patches it needs.
If we dont want this offense to lose a step next year - we need AJ2.

Luckily for us, there are a lot of talented RBs that currently project to 3rd round or later, it just lacks that true big time talent first round RB.  And if we can get by with Jones and Wilson for a while, that gives a rookie more time to acclimate to the NFL speed.  I like, in no particular order:  Bucky Irving, MarShawn Lloyd, Will Shipley, Jaylen Wright, Jawhar Jordan, all of whom I think can develop into an Aaron Jones type of player.  There are also a good handful of guys that have a different profile that should be good players as well. 

And if I may be a homer for just a second, check out Cody Schrader.  He is a 4.6 40 guy, but he accelerates like a golf cart.  Guy is immediately at top speed.  He will get caught, but he bursts through the line real quick.  His highlight reel is a fun watch.  Does it translate to the NFL? I don't know.  I probably doubt it.  Still a fun watch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Luckily for us, there are a lot of talented RBs that currently project to 3rd round or later, it just lacks that true big time talent first round RB.  And if we can get by with Jones and Wilson for a while, that gives a rookie more time to acclimate to the NFL speed.  I like, in no particular order:  Bucky Irving, MarShawn Lloyd, Will Shipley, Jaylen Wright, Jawhar Jordan, all of whom I think can develop into an Aaron Jones type of player.  There are also a good handful of guys that have a different profile that should be good players as well. 

And if I may be a homer for just a second, check out Cody Schrader.  He is a 4.6 40 guy, but he accelerates like a golf cart.  Guy is immediately at top speed.  He will get caught, but he bursts through the line real quick.  His highlight reel is a fun watch.  Does it translate to the NFL? I don't know.  I probably doubt it.  Still a fun watch.

Appreciate the input.....but I'm not sold that Wilson can be / will be a consistent producer....and while I like Dillon a lot, he's shown he cant carry the load and rack up the necessary yards. He's good when necessary - but he's never been a game breaker.

AJ2 is a tweak....I got it...but it's shown itself to be a necessary one if we want the offense to hit the ground running in the same manner as last season ended. What (perhaps) the overriding aspect of the passing game: it's depth. We need that in the running game IMO.

I keep doing these mock draft simulations at https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator and Newton is available at 25. Thoughts?

25  Jer'zhan Newton - DL - Illinois

41  Kamren Kinchens - S - Miami

58  Edgerrin Cooper - LB - Texas A&M

88  Calen Bullock - S - USC

91  Trey Benson - RB - Florida St.

126  Dominick Puni - IOL - Kansas

167  Jaylin Simpson - CB - Auburn  

6 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I keep doing these mock draft simulations at https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator and Newton is available at 25. Thoughts?

I'd be hard pressed to find a board that Newton wouldn't be far and away BPA at #25 if he is there.

That being said?  We have a strong DL right now.  It isn't a huge need.  We also have Wyatt who would play a very similar role.  Maybe Brooks/Wooden too.  (But moreso Brooks)

I feel like we'd almost have to take him, even though the need isn't large.

18 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I don’t have anything to add about your mock, but that is a really nice site. And a breath of fresh air since it’s free and not full of intrusive ads 

12 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

If you're wary on a Mizzou guy, I'm not sure I want anything to do with them after J'Mon. I had such high hopes for him despite you warning us lol

Being fair to J'Mon, I didn't like him for off the field stuff only tangentially related to football, that we don't need to get into again.  And that shouldn't have had any bearing on how he fared in the NFL, I just didn't like him.  I heard that he suffered from entitled athlete syndrome, and that his work ethic was not the best.  But I cannot substantiate those claims, they were just internet hearsay.  I might give them a little credence simply because he had ample opportunity on that 2018 team and got 2 receptions on 3 targets in 12 games played, on a team that only MVS played all 16 games and UDFAs Jake Kumerow and Allen Lazard stuck around and made the team.  But the RAS was 8.43, and the college highlights looked good.  So not necessarily a feather in my cap, I just didn't like the guy.

As for Rakestraw and Abrams-Draine, I really like their play.  And I believe the speed numbers show when you watch them.  I am just concerned that they can hold up in the run game.  Fighting through Trent Williams, George Kittle, and Deebo Samuel to tackle Christian McCaffrey on a screen is a whole lot different than doing it against Middle Tennessee State. If you look at other CB prospects, they are all heavier.  Max Melton 193, Kool-Aid 196, DeJean 207, Quenyon Mitchell 195.  I have the same concerns about Kamari Lassiter and Nate Wiggins who are listed just as slight and projected to be slower.  

That is all alleviated by them showing up to the combine at 195 and running 4.4.  I don't think it is attitude, I just don't think that a sub 190 guy can be relied upon to stay healthy.  

54 minutes ago, Leader said:

Appreciate the input.....but I'm not sold that Wilson can be / will be a consistent producer....and while I like Dillon a lot, he's shown he cant carry the load and rack up the necessary yards. He's good when necessary - but he's never been a game breaker.

AJ2 is a tweak....I got it...but it's shown itself to be a necessary one if we want the offense to hit the ground running in the same manner as last season ended. What (perhaps) the overriding aspect of the passing game: it's depth. We need that in the running game IMO.

Are you sold that Wilson can be as good as Patrick Taylor? In my mind, that is all he has to be, if we draft another RB.  PT has a spot on the team, he was a very good pass protector and would plod out yards if you needed him to do so.  Wilson has the frame to block, and has shown some running ability in his limited chances.  I think he can play that role.  I thought we did just fine with Jones and PT + Wilson at the end of last season.  Just look for a good fit for your system in the mid rounds.