2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

22 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not sure teams actually need those tests. You can listen to guys speak in interviews and get a pretty good idea if they are dumb or not. CJ Stroud does not come across as being dumb. Go put on the Georgia tape in the semi-finals and you can tell the kid was legit. 

Vince Young, pretty sure you could have a 5-minute conversation with him and know he's not learning a playbook. 

I get teams want all the information they can possibly get, but I'm glad agents are pushing back. Maybe it will help the Bears convince themselves Drake Maye is their guy. 

No-one ever said that the increased coverage of this event makes sense......where the most important part of it (the medicals) is never released and one of the (overall) less important tests (the 40yd dash) seems to be the marquee event.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

22 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

But not odd that they film the combine where players are basically running around in their underwear undergoing physical challenges?

Releasing the cognitive test results is more akin to releasing medical data.

• Like 1

I think the cognitive score can be valuable.  I wouldn't base selecting  solely on it but it can be something you can look at deeper if it's a concern.  Two of the smarter QBs over the years we're Alex Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Not exactly franchise QBs but both are pretty bright guys.  You have to balance that score vs the talent you are getting.  There will always be outliers.  It's not easy finding a QB, although the Packers have done fairly well over the years.

Am I still the only one who thinks interior pads rush has surpassed the EDGE in this current era of football?

Because that recent PFF article on Micah Parsons kinda solidified my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

Am I still the only one who thinks interior pads rush has surpassed the EDGE in this current era of football?

You need guys who can chase down on the Edge though otherwise the elite guys just leak out wherever.

Absolutely need someone who can collapse a pocket from the middle if you're going to be consistent though 

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

I have heard that said here and there. 

I just think that there is more than one way to skin a cat.  The goal is to sack the qb, or at least make him throw from a disadvantageous position.  You also really need the two to compliment each other pretty well.  It is probably still more difficult to find a very good interior rusher, that isn't a complete liability against the run, than to find a good edge player.  But I think both are pretty important.  

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

You need guys who can chase down on the Edge though otherwise the elite guys just leak out wherever.

Absolutely need someone who can collapse a pocket from the middle if you're going to be consistent though 

If you can at least collapse the middle of an offensive line enough to make it very difficult for the QB to step up and buy more time from those guys flying around the edge and coming at the QB almost from behind him, then they have done their job, even if they didn't get home themselves.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

I don't know about you, but I really enjoyed watching Kenny Clark get a chance to live in the backfield this past year.  Career best of 7.5 sacks.   Career best in TFL at 9.  Career best in QB hits at 16.  All per PFR.

I'm also excited to see what Brooks can do in year 2.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know about you, but I really enjoyed watching Kenny Clark get a chance to live in the backfield this past year.  Career best of 7.5 sacks.   Career best in TFL at 9.  Career best in QB hits at 16.  All per PFR.

ya have to push the pocket and get edge pressure, the ol rule that ya can't give a QB a 2.5 count to throw has now been sped up to 2.1, so much more up tempo and quick passing, even the best coverage is getting beat and offenses are moving the chains, pass rush is the only way to counter these offensive adjustments, jmo.

Loved what Brooks brought to the pass rush, along with Wyatt and Clark we finally are seeing interior pressure, hope Hafley juices it up even more

On 2/17/2024 at 11:35 AM, Old Guy said:

I'm not sure teams actually need those tests. You can listen to guys speak in interviews and get a pretty good idea if they are dumb or not. CJ Stroud does not come across as being dumb. Go put on the Georgia tape in the semi-finals and you can tell the kid was legit. 

Vince Young, pretty sure you could have a 5-minute conversation with him and know he's not learning a playbook. 

I get teams want all the information they can possibly get, but I'm glad agents are pushing back. Maybe it will help the Bears convince themselves Drake Maye is their guy. 

Can you explain what actually happened in that situation? Did Stroud have a bad S2?

It certainly didn't hold him back this year

On 2/16/2024 at 10:48 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

You take Vaki, you've got to have a concrete plan on how to use him. He does have a lot of strings to his bow.

Now this is how you draft post. This how you appropriately list a player's cons and pros

1) Vague comment on a player's downside

2) Southern idiom to describe a player's upside

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Oh for sure. Guy was an animal. The Pass rush was really solid. Makes the lack of INTs in a zone scheme really sad. Lol.

• Like 2