2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Pressure is the thing, of course, and the Packers were solid.  Sometimes more than pressure but an actual sack is so game-changing, though.  Got Purdy once.  Just one extra sack, at the right time, and we'd have won that game.  

1 hour ago, craig said:

Pressure is the thing, of course, and the Packers were solid.  Sometimes more than pressure but an actual sack is so game-changing, though.  Got Purdy once.  Just one extra sack, at the right time, and we'd have won that game.  

Or an interception.  That we almost had a couple of.. which is a result of the pressure. The team just has to work together.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Or an interception.  That we almost had a couple of.. which is a result of the pressure. The team just has to work together.

As much as anything, this is where the "players vs coaching" debate will never completely go away.  The DC can only help put players in a good position.  The players still have to make the plays.  SF absolutely should have been one and done this year, but the Packers DB's didn't catch the ball.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

As much as anything, this is where the "players vs coaching" debate will never completely go away.  The DC can only help put players in a good position.  The players still have to make the plays.  SF absolutely should have been one and done this year, but the Packers DB's didn't catch the ball.

For sure. Having your DBs a little tighter to have more bites at the apple when your unit is finding pressure wouldn't have hurt though. And things only got worse in that regard with our lack of health in the secondary. 

If Savage could catch we wouldn't be contemplating a replacement for him either. 

For sure some players weren't playing at a level that's rewarded with an elite unit but definitely enough talent to not be a ****ty one all year. 

I just don't think there was a good enough marriage between secondary and pass rush plan. Everything was very unrewarding this year lol.

13 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I just don't think there was a good enough marriage between secondary and pass rush plan. Everything was very unrewarding this year lol.

I feel like Preston should be doubly offended by this post.

• Like 3

So, who is "worth it" in the first round for us to target via a trade up?  I typically want to trade down, but we have so many picks that it could be wise to move up in round one.

My obvious target is DeJean.  But who else?  The only other real name I can come up with is Newton, DL.

I like the OT's, but with Walker's recent play and it looks like Fautanu / Morgan could be there with our pick and I'm not loving trading up for one of them.

Corners look a little smaller (weight) and I'm not sure I love one enough to trade up.

Safeties....man, I don't see a first round safety in this class.

ILB?  Same boat.  I like a few of them, but they shouldn't go above our pick.

WRs.....I'm not trading up for one, given what we have.  TE's too.

No RB's are worth it.

I'm not trading up for an IOL.

Not loving this EDGE class.

So, who is there that I should look at as a trade up candidate outside DeJean and Newton?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So, who is "worth it" in the first round for us to target via a trade up?  I typically want to trade down, but we have so many picks that it could be wise to move up in round one.

My obvious target is DeJean.  But who else?  The only other real name I can come up with is Newton, DL.

I like the OT's, but with Walker's recent play and it looks like Fautanu / Morgan could be there with our pick and I'm not loving trading up for one of them.

Corners look a little smaller (weight) and I'm not sure I love one enough to trade up.

No RB's are worth it.

So, who is there that I should look at as a trade up candidate outside DeJean and Newton?

I hear you on the corners, but if Terrion Arnold falls to a certain pick, I’d trade up for him in addition to the players you list. Not sure what that pick would be. Too costly to go up much higher than like 17 or 18 

Edited by Isherwood
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I hear you on the corners, but if Terrion Arnold falls to a certain pick, I’d trade up for him in addition to the players you list. Not sure what that pick would be. Too costly to go up much higher than like 17 or 18 

Ya never know, but most mock drafts have him going in top 15. 

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2024/terrion-arnold

Edited by Brat&Beer

Yeah, I don't see an urgency to trade up.  *IF* Gute does so, it will be fun, because he only does that if he loves somebody.  So, if/when it happens, it kinda speaks to the scouting eval.  Kinda fun to look back at some tradeups:

1. Clay Matthews.  Huge win.
  2. Jaire.  Big win.
  3. Savage. Um, not a big win.  
  4. Love, big win.
  5. Amari Rodgers.  Oops!  
  6. Watson.  Not a big win thus far, but still hoping...

As with all draft picks, you win some you lose some.  Packers haven't done a lot of 1st-round trade-ups, and Starks was a big fail.  But Matthews, Jaire, and Love, those were all worth-it 1st round tradeups.   

But yeah, we've got lots of position groups that could use a top-100 guy.  I'll be pretty OK if Gute stays put and takes what comes to him.  Shifting around later in the draft, when the price isn't so high to move, is a little different.  

Edited by craig

8 minutes ago, craig said:

Yeah, I don't see an urgency to trade up.  *IF* Gute does so, it will be fun, because he only does that if he loves somebody.  So, if/when it happens, it kinda speaks to the scouting eval.  Kinda fun to look back at some tradeups:

2. Jaire.  Big win.
  3. Starks. Um, not a big win.  
  4. Love, big win.
  5. Amari Rodgers.  Oops!  

As with all draft picks, you win some you lose some.  Packers haven't done a lot of 1st-round trade-ups, and Starks was a big fail.  But Matthews, Jaire, and Love, those were all worth-it 1st round tradeups.   

But yeah, we've got lots of position groups that could use a top-100 guy.  I'll be pretty OK if Gute stays put and takes what comes to him.  Shifting around later in the draft, when the price isn't so high to move, is a little different.  

Who is this Starks you speak of?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, craig said:

2. Jaire.  Big win.
  3. Savage. Um, not a big win.  
  4. Love, big win.
  5. Amari Rodgers.  Oops!  

TT drafted Matthews.

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm going to be surprised if the Packers don't move up for a cornerback. I don't think they'll be able to sit back and wait for one at #25. 

In related tweets: 

20 hours ago, vegas492 said:

No RB's are worth it.

^^^

Maybe the CB from Toledo?