2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

45 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

I'm gonna be curious to see how he tests, but Jarrian Jones may be your guy if Nickel is what you're hoping for.

Both of the FSU CBs are intriguing fits for the Packers. Good man cover guys.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly, the only RB who excites me in the late 2nd/early 3rd is Jaylen Wright. 

There are quite a few RBs that I like this year.  I am more interested in what they can do than what they can't do, especially since they will be splitting carries.  Get me a power guy and a finesse guy in this draft and let them grow together with the young offense.  I think you can find a Dillon replacement and a Jones understudy in this group.  Remember, the Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, Devante Mays draft was not a surefire thing either.  All of them needed work, and two of them turned out pretty darn good.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

DeJean is obviously a popular pick for us, especially at this point. If he blows up the combine, I'm guessing most post-combine mocks will have him going in the top 15-20. 

Even if we do take him, the fit will be interesting. Don't see him playing much perimeter CB for us because press-man is probably the weakest part of his game. He's a natural born zone defender with great instincts. If we draft him, I think he probably gets first crack at the FS position in Hafley's defense. 

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Do not overdraft a nickel corner. Tykee Smith will be there on day 3. 

Not sure you can "overdraft" a slot CB. Nickel is base in today's NFL. There shouldn't be much (if any) difference given to the "value" of perimeter vs. slot CB anymore. The Chiefs played their best CB in the slot all year because in the modern game, most offenses play their best WR in the slot or at least generate a lot of snaps from the slot. Look no further than if you want to match up against the Lions, you're going to have to deal with Amon Ra, who virtually only plays from the slot.

Now, if you love Tykee, sure take him. But if we go CB in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th, the only thing that should matter is whether we love the player, not whether he's an outside vs. inside guy. 

17 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I saw this posted on Reddit. The combine should help narrow down our draft boards a lot.

wd50cw1ibsjc1.png

I got lucky through a random acquaintance and got to sit down and have a couple drinks with a NFL front office exec pretty recently. I started talking about RAS scores and he legit looked at me and said basically "what the hell is a RAS". I still think he was effing with me somehow.

Edited by Arthur Penske

54 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Not sure you can "overdraft" a slot CB. Nickel is base in today's NFL. There shouldn't be much (if any) difference given to the "value" of perimeter vs. slot CB anymore. The Chiefs played their best CB in the slot all year because in the modern game, most offenses play their best WR in the slot or at least generate a lot of snaps from the slot. Look no further than if you want to match up against the Lions, you're going to have to deal with Amon Ra, who virtually only plays from the slot.

Now, if you love Tykee, sure take him. But if we go CB in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th, the only thing that should matter is whether we love the player, not whether he's an outside vs. inside guy. 

I'm saying the value will play out better getting Tykee later than taking one earlier. Address other areas where it's harder to find value (IDL, EDGE, boundary CB, etc) and take Tykee late day 2, early day 3. 

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm saying the value will play out better getting Tykee later than taking one earlier. Address other areas where it's harder to find value (IDL, EDGE, boundary CB, etc) and take Tykee late day 2, early day 3. 

I don't disagree, but we have got to find a legit slot corner .. no more fringe guys there.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Actually like quite a few boundary-type CBs in this draft. I know people are saying its top-heavy, but I think there's a good bit of depth through day 2 at least. Will have to see how guys time/run of course. The EDGE/DE crop seems pretty dry, especially for what we're looking for now in a 4-3. If we go IDL, I'd like to see another big body like McKinley or Boyd in the mid-rounds. 

38 minutes ago, craig said:

NFL DraftBuzz site has 10 CB in their top-40 prospects.  

5 Safeties in top 95, 10 within their top 135.  

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/

The last 2 times the Packers have selected 25th overall they have selected a DB, Ahmad Carroll in 2004 and Antuan Edwards in 1999.

So, there is that going for a DB being selected.

Science.  

2 minutes ago, R T said:

The last 2 times the Packers have selected 25th overall they have selected a DB, Ahmad Carroll in 2004 and Antuan Edwards in 1999.

So, there is that going for a DB being selected.

Science.  

This seems more like evidence that GB definitely should not select a DB at #25

• Like 3